Much love for the Cannon army

Sincro

Thou hast no Cu, again...
I've started to really enjoy making cannon armies at the earliest possible time and going on an immediate rampage through whomever is close to me.

I do have a few questions about how to maximize the effectiveness of such an army. Please note I play vanilla, with all the limitations and benefits (like seige units being able to kill while on offense) this implies.

1) What's the normal unit to use as stack defense? Since Chemistry comes along the way to Steel, I tend to use Grenadiers. In fact, I normally prebuild my army with CR 2 cats, combat 1 and CR 1 Maces/Axes with a couple utterly obsolete units for stack healing. (Combat 1 and Medic 1 warriors seem to work well as they never defend against anything until they are the last unit left.) Once I have Steel, I go to total money for the unit upgrades to Cannons and Grens for a few turns, then launch. I rarely can make enough money in just a couple turns to upgrade more then 8 cats to cannons + appropriate stack defense, however. I find that I am perpetually in low cash land in order to maximize my science. Not to mention having large amounts of gold tends to make the AI ask for it. Greedy buggers.

2) Better to waste the turn blowing away cultural defenses, or accept the lower victory odds and start attacking right away? I normally do burn a turn wasting the cultural defenses of the city I intend to attack. If my stack is sufficiently large (which normally happens as the war goes on) I start my attack immediately, but the first few cities I go after I usually don't have enough cannons for that.

3) How much of an army is advisable to build up before you declare? I normally construct a pair of armies, each with 4-6 cannons, 2-3 stack defenders, an initial garrison unit for the first city taken, plus the stack healer. Unless I'm in the middle of building something crucial, my cities at this point are all producing replacement cannons with 1 or 2 producing replacement stack healers/garrison units for conquered cities. I hear lots of tales about people drowning their continents in units, but I'm always itching to go before someone else techs out their own grenadiers and cannons, which significantly raises my casualty rate once it happens. And I have noticed that the AIs tend to immediately beeline either rifling or chemistry the moment you start blowing through any AIs territory with cannons.

4) Once you have a fairly advanced army of promoted cannons, do you use those highly promoted CR3 (and sometimes even combat/barrage promos) as your initial attackers, or is it more advisable to spend a couple underpromoted units to weaken defenses first, knowing that there's a significant chance of losing both? I tend to conserve the highly promoted ones, but I can see the advantages either way.

5) Lastly, do you ignore singleton AI units on your way to the cities? Most often they are defending a resource. Since the point of the cannon army is to get your licks in while they have total supremacy, I often find that there's no point in delaying getting to the city to attack it. Especially if the geography indicates that taking the city will deprive the AI of the resource. Would I be better served taking those units out and pillaging those tiles? Perhaps using a separate stack dedicated for that purpose?

Thanks for the advice.

-Sinc

1.) Muskets and pike work very well; pinch knights can be useful vs mass muskets but the cannons themselves tend to work vs those. Nothing has an innate bonus vs muskets and only knights have higher base strength; which is why you include the pike. As an added bonus you can draft muskets.

2.) How many cannons, how much culture, how strong of defenders? Suiciding one or two cannons tends to make everything except SB/Zara on hills die quick and easy. If I have enough cannons I'll upgrade maybe 5 to bombard and then use the rest as CR to do the collateral.

3.) Who is the target? You can fight the cannon wars at parity, but for many AIs a fewer units sooner is more efficient. Generally I don't wait for grenadiers, but take the weaker cities when I can and then spend on turn upgrading on the fly.

4.) CR3 is not highly promoted. If you send the weaker ones first (say when odds are 25%) fairly quickly you will get the odd survivor and you will end up with lots of CRIII cannons. Often I just use the highest promoted or one/two suicide barrage cannons if the stacks are small or large and then end up using unpromoted cannons (saving the promos for insta-healing)

5.) I keep an eye on most units. Curis tend to get dealt with in the open as flanking damage is by far the most dangerous thing to the cannon war machine (well aside from MGs or infantry).

mirthadir, you are thinking BTS. Vanilla-grenadiers comes at chemistry. I will often not wait for cannons, but start my war with cats+grenadiers. I do bombard, but not always send in suicide. If I do however, 2 cats doesn't do much worse than 1 cannon.

When cannons do come grenadiers does the rest. Cavalry is a bit problematic (so do pillage horses!), but you can live with it.

Also, do consider to beeline cavalry instead of cannons. IMHO cavalry is better than cannons.

-12 cannons, 1 stack, break up the stack when you've broken the back of their resistence.
-bombard cultural defense to 0 and with the remaining unused cannons, attack, take cities in 1 turn.
-stack defenders are unnecessary, 12str cannons cannot be flanked until curassiers, which you should have plenty of time to research rifling for.
-if you do need stack defenders, I prefer muskets. The reason being is that they are the first of the gunpowder units, and thus, have no counters to all the units that come before them. A few pikes should solve any problems with knights, if you're hesitant about throwing your cannons in to defend against them.

mirthadir, you are thinking BTS. Vanilla-grenadiers comes at chemistry. I will often not wait for cannons, but start my war with cats+grenadiers. I do bombard, but not always send in suicide. If I do however, 2 cats doesn't do much worse than 1 cannon.

When cannons do come grenadiers does the rest. Cavalry is a bit problematic (so do pillage horses!), but you can live with it.

Also, do consider to beeline cavalry instead of cannons. IMHO cavalry is better than cannons.
Thanks.

I tend to play 1 of three different leaders: Catherine, Gandhi and Julius. When I play Catherine, I do indeed shoot for cavalry as soon as possible, since for the Russians that means Cossacks, and Cossacks just own everything contemporary to them. (Except Riflemen, but that's what Grenadiers are for.)

-Sinc

4.) CR3 is not highly promoted. If you send the weaker ones first (say when odds are 25%) fairly quickly you will get the odd survivor and you will end up with lots of CRIII cannons. Often I just use the highest promoted or one/two suicide barrage cannons if the stacks are small or large and then end up using unpromoted cannons (saving the promos for insta-healing.

A lot of what you said pertained to BTS, but this statement struck me. It is extremely, *extremely* rare for me to ever have a unit with more then 5 promotions. I almost always consider anything with 4 promotions highly promoted, and I do an awful lot of running about with hordes of units that have either 4 XP or 6 XP.

In Vanilla spending money to upgrade a unit resets their XP back down to 10, if it was higher, but leaves them still needing to hit the next threshold. Say I upgrade a Combat 2, CR 3 Maceman, who had 26/37 XP to a Grenadier, who now has 10/37 XP. That unit, for me at least, will never earn another promotion. I just don't have wars that are protracted enough for a unit to earn XP, heal up again, earn XP etc often enough to cycle through that 27 XP dead zone.

-Sinc

A lot of what you said pertained to BTS, but this statement struck me. It is extremely, *extremely* rare for me to ever have a unit with more then 5 promotions. I almost always consider anything with 4 promotions highly promoted, and I do an awful lot of running about with hordes of units that have either 4 XP or 6 XP.

In Vanilla spending money to upgrade a unit resets their XP back down to 10, if it was higher, but leaves them still needing to hit the next threshold. Say I upgrade a Combat 2, CR 3 Maceman, who had 26/37 XP to a Grenadier, who now has 10/37 XP. That unit, for me at least, will never earn another promotion. I just don't have wars that are protracted enough for a unit to earn XP, heal up again, earn XP etc often enough to cycle through that 27 XP dead zone.

-Sinc

Sorry about the vanilla/BTS thing. I'd note that even in vanilla, the mechanics are such that hitting with cannons is more a matter of cannons than anything else, a few grens, mass cannons, and whatever leftover crud you have is enough.

Regarding promos:
1. Out the door a theo cannon is CR II, getting one more promo is fairly easy due to the mechanics of collateral based warfare - either 5 victories (which is trivial in multi city empire) or suiciding a few at <35% odds and then getting another 2 or so victories. Highly promoted is where the 4th promo starts to come in
2. Later on you can either build or take the Pentagon (that is in vanilla isn't it?) and run theo/vassalge and be one victory away from all units having three promos.
3. The value of a promoted unit is, at most 35% increase on its strength, if you are afraid to spend those promos it will cost you more than 35% more hammers to use weaker units in many cases.

all hail the cannon... :)

That's where drafting comes in. I rarely take grenadiers, I prefer pike/musket. That takes some serious production power though, so sometimes cannon aren't the best option. With limited production, I prefer building trebs, then draft rifles, it's easy on the production and trebs are far cheaper to upgrade later on than pike/muskets are.

2. Later on you can either build or take the Pentagon (that is in vanilla isn't it?) and run theo/vassalge and be one victory away from all units having three promos.
3. The value of a promoted unit is, at most 35% increase on its strength, if you are afraid to spend those promos it will cost you more than 35% more hammers to use weaker units in many cases.

Yes, the Pentagon is in Vanilla. Excellent point on value of a promoted unit versus cost to build a new one. Thanks.

-Sinc

Cannons dominated in Vanilla.

That's why BTS added the Cuirassier.

Couldn't you get cavalry at gunpowder/MT in 'nilla? I never played it but that was my understanding. If so mounted was stronger against siege in this time period then than it is now, except that BTS has flanking damage, which *is* a threat to cannons w/o rifle cover (if the AI were competent, possibly even with it).

In my games, I stilll usually have a stack of trebs left when I get cannons that usually all have an accuracy promo, so I use them to break the city defense and use the cannons promoted with CR I,II,III to cause collateral, then have a large amount of cavalry and knights I couldn't promote with whatever I have left of my original stack to defend bolstered by rifles I am making.
The cannon/cavalry/rifles era is probably my fav time of the game to war, usually because I always get screwed out of horses in 90% of my games and spend a lot of the medieval era warring with whatever I have to get them. If my games are going really well I have a stack approaching 40 units or higher around this time. Yeah, yeah, I will up the difficulty soon (still playing on noble :) )

My standard field army for the period: 9 Cannons, 4 Mounted, 1 Pike (medic), 2 CR Units (Mace/Grens), 2 Stack Defenders (Drill Muskets/Grens). Additional stack defense is supplied by advancing stack with garrison units for newly acquired cities.

This is my base field formation, and I just keep creating/upgrading as necessary. My highest number of such stacks was a Shaka game on a Great Plains map back in Warlords where I had almost 30 similar stacks (and 80+) cities by the time the Domination win kicked in.

Top Bottom