Multi-session G&K game (GMT+12 @ 8PM)

I think I'll wait, have that break. It's fine if you guys want to run something in the 'gap' though. I don't need to be in charge all the time. :)

I'm over in Toronto, any chance I can get in on this?

A 6-week break can cure my CiV addiction, but do I want to be cured? :rolleyes:

Not sure what are the preferred settings and MP experience for you, Vra? Maybe running a few sessions to get a feeling and decide if you really wants to commit more late night hours once the official game starts in Nov?

Maybe give epic game a shot? Massive warmongering?

To accommodate the early time zone shift here on 30 Sep, maybe Heinage and I can start 1 hour earlier?

God, I said I want a break as well, but after being nuked......

:lol: now you want a little revenge, huh? Civ karma: what goes around comes around. ;)

A 6-week break can cure my CiV addiction, but do I want to be cured? :rolleyes:

Not sure what are the preferred settings and MP experience for you, Vra? Maybe running a few sessions to get a feeling and decide if you really wants to commit more late night hours once the official game starts in Nov?

Maybe give epic game a shot? Massive warmongering?

To accommodate the early time zone shift here on 30 Sep, maybe Heinage and I can start 1 hour earlier?

God, I said I want a break as well, but after being nuked......

Not so fun to be on the receiving end!

Yeah, also hot s**t lucked, so largely equal now :)

:lol: I actually did LOL. We've coined a new term. :goodjob:

I think he meant 'got' instead of 'hot'. Some typos are a little icky.

Hi all who may still be watching this topic.

I had the idea of running these games, or at least the next one, without victory conditions, not even time. Just to let the world play out however it does, without it artificially stopping with the first winner.

I like the game more for the story than for the winning and losing. The first player to a VC will still get the traditional credit and bragging rights, if you like. War will still be a factor, though I guess you could only end the game by being the only player left alive. Just dominating enemy capitals wouldn't work. Could even turn on the setting to allow players to survive with only units, no cities. Maybe I'm alone in this as a civ player, but sometimes it's fun to be a refugee (if you manage to get some settlers out to start over), or to fight to the last unit even after you no longer have a homeland--guerilla fighters!

If you're interested, let me know. Obviously we'd get tired of a game at some point and want to move on, but I think we'd need to make that at least by majority vote. If you're first to a VC there'd be an expectation that you'd continue playing anyway, not just retire.

Oh and maybe standard speed, too?

Thoughts?

So no GS stacking? Could be fun.
We should probably adjust the time zones aswell cause I have no idea what my time would be without daylight savings. I dont even know when we switch back!

Haven't been playing Standard speed for a while, but I think the map should be larger for this type of playing, for example, standard size for 6 players, large for 8 players.

So no GS stacking? Could be fun.
We should probably adjust the time zones aswell cause I have no idea what my time would be without daylight savings. I dont even know when we switch back!

Um, dunno why GS stacking would be affected, anyone could still do that if they wanted. Hmn, I don't have the power to adjust time zones, but google is your friend. ;). If you mean the time as it's listed on this thread, yes, I'll set up another thread for this as we get closer to starting.

Haven't been playing Standard speed for a while, but I think the map should be larger for this type of playing, for example, standard size for 6 players, large for 8 players.

That might make sense. I know Islandia believes the longer game speeds tend to enhance production advantages, so maybe having further to travel would act to balance this?

I don't think I'd ever do standard in GMR, just way too long. And even in SP I usually opt for quick. The longer speeds should give us longer play times, stretch out those later eras a little, when all those GSs can zip players through really quick.

Hmn, another thought: I'm not necessarily aiming for a more peaceful type of game, just something a bit more...alternate reality than competitive (death)match. :D

In any case, trying a game with a bit more space sounds fun / a nice change.

Um, dunno why GS stacking would be affected, anyone could still do that if they wanted.

Because there is no reason to stack 'em to win early science or diplo if you cant win anyway. Sure, stacking to get nukes is still an option, and a stronger one than any other but again, you still cant win.

Hmn, interesting interpretation. My point here is not to have a game you can't win, but rather a game where multiple 'wins' could be reached, and yet, if a majority of players want to continue out of interest, we could. So, whoever completed a standard VC, of whatever sort, would still get the bragging rights of having won in a traditional sense, but it wouldn't end the game. Others could still be pursuing their goals, and/or those who've already achieved them might still face threats to their civs or allies or whatever.

Make more sense now?

So really this type of game would be less 'game' and more...co-constructed narrative. Less gamey, more story.

No I understood it fine the first time. Its just that why would anyone care if you stacked up a ton of them to win the space race. Usually someone will try to stop you through military or get to space first, but since the game wont end they could just keep on doing what they do with no worries.
Example: I'm going for culture, dont care much for science. I see that you are on the verge of launching. I can stop you, but why? I could still win my bragging rights for culture. Problem there is that no one but me cared about culture and so I cant really brag about it.

Its not an achievement if no one tries to stop you.

Should note that I have never been a big fan of GS stacking in the first place. Once I found out thats what you did in mp I opposed it instantly, but not publicly. Until now I guess.

Yeah it's a very gamey tactic, it's true. But if you can't beat em, join em, so you end up doing the same stuff. Or, try to change the rules. However I don't like artificial rules either, so I've come up with this adjustment.

Bragging rights in that traditional, one winner sense, would only go to the person to achieve any VC first.

But say, to use the most likely example, you were able to pull off a space victory just in the nick of time, like I did as Maya in one of our games not long before our break. Now, if I wasn't saved by the bell--the game ending on my launch--sure, I'd still have those bragging rights, but with the game continuing, I might also be wiped out pretty soon thereafter.

You're right, some incentives to war, or trying to stop someone else before they win, would cease to exist. What would be left would be the situations that evolve in game, whether they're friendly, or more conflictual...well, depends what happens. Also alliances could become much more important, because the fear of the inevitable backstab would be gone. Sure, they could still happen, but the limited goals of the game wouldn't make them almost unavoidable.

Basically what's going on here I think is that I'm pretty bored (again!) with the same old same old. If we relax or change some of the usual strictures, we might get something more interesting. I think I need that to keep playing.

Personally, I think I'd enjoy only going to war in a game because of what happens in the game--territorial disputes, conflict over a CS, trading issues, alliances, etc. Going to war because everyone trying to win that limited game may need to resort to that...yawn, boring. Using civ more as an alternate history simulation, with some roleplaying type stuff and diplomacy thrown in, though not necessarily required...sounds intriguing.

Based on the limited responses though, not a huge amount of interest...?

The forum is quiet, not this thread only. I guess students are busy studying. If the game takes off in November, it will have more people interested.

Another thought is like the Into the Smoky Sky scenario, the most (self-built) wonders, the most culture (policies), the most income (unspent). Holding three titles at the end wins (if the outcome is unlikely to change).

I'm still in, no matter if there is GS stacking or not. I've started doing it myself because I cant beat them. Doesnt mean I have to like it, and I try to avoid doing it as much as possible, only limit it to games where I know my opponents are good enough and I know they will do it aswell.

I have also tired of the same old, only playing my GMR games. This kind of game against humans that wouldnt take up all day is very interesting to me. Even better is if its at 8 in the morning because that means I dont lose any daylight. Daylight being very scarce here in the winter. :rudolf:

Another thought is like the Into the Smoky Sky scenario, the most (self-built) wonders, the most culture (policies), the most income (unspent). Holding three titles at the end wins (if the outcome is unlikely to change).

I've never tried it. How's your GMR game going? It sounds like it has some real differences.

I'm still in, no matter if there is GS stacking or not. I've started doing it myself because I cant beat them. Doesnt mean I have to like it, and I try to avoid doing it as much as possible, only limit it to games where I know my opponents are good enough and I know they will do it aswell.

I have also tired of the same old, only playing my GMR games. This kind of game against humans that wouldnt take up all day is very interesting to me. Even better is if its at 8 in the morning because that means I dont lose any daylight. Daylight being very scarce here in the winter. :rudolf:

Cool. I know Islandia's up for it, fairly sure both Tabarnak and Heinage would be...that's six already. zalta might be in....

If Tab switches on nov 4th, a Sunday...not sure if he'd be up to play that night. The time shift for him would probably happen right around our start time. Anyway, I think that weekend is our earliest option.

And Jake?
I remember the very first game a year ago, we got Alistair and brenador.

Top Bottom