Multiplayer team start locations?

Elt

Chieftain
Having started a few MP LAN games now, one thing that's always happened is me and my teammate start far away from each other. How do we fix this? We want to start next to each other so we can go to war together, etc. It keeps starting us on seperate continents, and while sharing research is nice, spending most of the game isolated until navigation is not.

Is there any way to make the multiplayer game start teammates near each other? or at the very least, on the same landmass (in continents or small continents)?

some maps (north vs south) have the option to choose team starts

<Facepalm>

You know, I didn't even notice those entries in the map type list, or if I did, it didn't register what they were. Heheheheh. Thanks. Next game: East Vs. West!

TBH, I prefer the chance at distant starts :p I disliked how in BTS you started like 10 tiles from your partner. Inevitably 1 person was blocked into a corner by their own teammate.

yeah, 10 tiles is a bit too close. but when you're separated by oceans and can't even meet each other until the mid to late game, much less actively cooperate, it gets a bit lonely. Like, "Why am I playing multiplayer, exactly?" lonely.

Unfortunately, East vs West and North vs South gets a bit old after awhile. My teammate and I *sincerely* miss starting out within ten or twenty tiles of one another on Pangea or Oval or Continents. There's something invigorating about playing two against the world, cranking the difficulty up, and knowing that someone has your back or could use some soldiers along that road that joins your two civilizations. We did that quite a lot in Civ4 and BTS, but... Now... This inability to start next to one another in Civ 5 unless we play only the two maps that allow it, sucks.

PROGRAMMERS, HEAR ME! Give us a team start location option in all games!

I agree, conts teamer 2v2 is more like 2 duels with resource and tech sharing.

Pangaea does seem pretty random. Mostly the starts put me in a far corner a long way away from teammate but usually not with an enemy civ in between me and teammate.

I think it's a case of scout and agree to remake if map is not good for the game you want.

I played a few duel small conts and it took us 6 or 7 re rolls to get a duel map with civs starting on separate conts! I guess its a coding thing..

Having started a few MP LAN games now, one thing that's always happened is me and my teammate start far away from each other. How do we fix this? We want to start next to each other so we can go to war together, etc. It keeps starting us on seperate continents, and while sharing research is nice, spending most of the game isolated until navigation is not.

Is there any way to make the multiplayer game start teammates near each other? or at the very least, on the same landmass (in continents or small continents)?

Check this tread about noval map script:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11034416&posted=1#post11034416

My partner and I tried Noval a couple of times, and it SUCKS for our purposes. It's actually worse than the other maps, because it forces a mirroring of the only two humans in our games -- which means we never start next to one another, we're always on opposite sides of the map, and we always have identical resources (so we can't trade anything).

We're open to suggestions. Right now, we'll just have to keep playing on random maps and hoping we start out next to one another; it's not worth the time restarting twenty or thirty times to try and start out next to one another.

You arent using Noval correctly then.

Like I said, Skirmish starts you together as a team. So does NorthVsSouth, EastVsWest and Noval maps.

You just have to pay attention to the settings on the Noval.

I too have an issue with this, and North vs South or the others just aren't enough, as we like to play bigger maps, with more players, and there North vs South wouldn't Work anyway.

also its more fun to play on small continents, as u dont know the landscape, not like the familiar North vs South.

Top Bottom