1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple Installations of Civ 4 on the same computer

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Alekseyev_, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Alekseyev_

Alekseyev_ Chieftain

Hi all,
    I am struggling with the following problem: I have the game on Steam and would like to have both the original version (via "Betas") and the updated one for Steam Multiplayer installed at the same time. I tried downloading one, copying the folder and then switching to the other. However, the .exe in the copied folder will still cause a launch of the .exe in the "original" game installation folder Steam created. If I rename the new folder, Steam will throw an error message about the game files not being found.

Does anyone know how to make two installations with different versions work?

2. Ramkhamhaeng

Ramkhamhaeng Warlord

How are the executables named? I do not know if steam put some extra binaries for launching.
    If yes, start Civ4BeyondSword.exe directly.

If you restart Civ4BTS by selecting a mod in the game, try to start the game directly with the mod by adding „mod="modname"“ (first char modname needs to separated by one char from 'mod=' token).

Last tipp: Search for Civ4 in the Windows registry. There had to be existing an entry to the other installed version.