Music

Wodan

Deity
Am I the only one who gets tired of the music?

The early music, whatever it is, with an African flavor or something... I could listen to that forever. Perfect, and leave it.

The middle ages, monks chanting or whatever, I can listen to that for 3-4 hours, but then it gets old real fast. But, I'll hit 3-4 hours in a single game! What about game after game after game? Man, does it get old.

The modern era, zow, that music gets old after not even an hour. Not just old, but grating on the ear.

There is some wonderful music for the leaderheads, can't the game just cycle through that stuff, based on era?

(Before anyone suggests it, I know I can customize my own music by going into the game directory and mucking about... that's not the point. Not because maybe I don't want to be bothered, but also because this is the game default we're talking about.)

Wodan

I don't like the modern era music much either, but I almost never get tired of the Renaissance music, especially the "BeethovenAndante" piece (what's that actually called, BTW?). Sometimes, I'll keep hitting ctrl+m until that one comes up.

it's just sad that the video music also gets deactivated, but alas.
Exactly. I was going to mention that in the OP... I like the movies and want to hear the music therein. When I work my butt off to get a wonder I'd at least like the illusion of that little piece of eye and ear candy.

Wodan

ppl play with the game music on?? :eek:

You can always create your own music folders..

Really easy to do as well.

I'm not sure if this functionality came with the vanilla Civ 4 or one of the add ons, but I've used this for a long time now:

Go into your Civ 4 base directory, like C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Assets/Sounds/Soundtrack

Now inside that last folder you'll find one folder for each of the game's 'ages'. Just remove or add any .mp3 files you want to be played there. I believe only .mp3's will work, not .wav's or other formats.

The final step is, after starting a game, go into the options menu and select 'audio'. At the bottom of the popup screen you'll see an option to use your own music folder. Select that and browse until you find the folder you want.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to get the music to automatically change folders as the ages pass without having to manually reset the user folder inside the game. Maybe I'm putting my user music in the wrong base folder, but this still works.

I've added quite a lot of music to my game's 'repertoire' and it makes a Huge difference. I actually look forward to the ages changing so I can start the next 'jukebox' going. :D

If you're curious, this is what I added in my own folders:

Ancient: Some new-agey flute music, native american stuff as well. Australian aboriginal chants. Stuff by Cusco, R. Carlos Nakai

Classical: Usually go with the original game music, but I'd like to add some Greek or Roman trumpet stuff if I can find it. Maybe some traditional Chinese music would work too. Now that I think of it, some Enya stuff would fit.

Medieval: I added Gregorian chants, renaissance fair stuff too, Blackmore's Night, Loreena McKennit, Clannad.

Renaissance: Love this age. I added lots of 'classical' type music: Stuff from Bach, Albinoni, Handel, Mozart, and Vivaldi. I figured timeline appropriate: 1500-1800 or so.

Industrial: Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky Rimsky-Korsakov

Modern: Since so few of my games ever seem to get this far, I haven't altered it yet. But I may add some 'space' type music maybe.. stuff like Brian Eno, Vangelis, Tomita, Vollenweider.

Anyways, you got the idea. I Love the music that came with the game, but it's great they made it so easy to personalize it as well. :)

Hope this helps!

Edit: I didn't read your OP well enough the first time or I'd have seen you already know how to add the music, sorry! I left this post though, in case others were interested.

-Elgalad

Edit: I didn't read your OP well enough the first time or I'd have seen you already know how to add the music, sorry! I left this post though, in case others were interested.
It's all good, Elgalad. I may actually do this. Regardless, I'm sure others will appreciate the tip.

Wodan

The People are the Heroes is a nice modern age one, but I've heard it like twice.

IMHO Civ II is the best turn based game ever made (so far) except in one topic: music

I have heard a lot of music made for gaming, but this music (not made just for gaming) is best suitable, and logically very fine devided for ages (=different time zones).

Wenla

Top Bottom