My First Deity Game

crazyluke2001

Chieftain
Hello, I'm playing my first deity game as the Chinese and the year is 3500 BC.

The only enabled victory condition is conquest, AI respawning off, culturally linked start locations off. I tried to make sure that none of the AIs were scientific, to slow down the tech pace a bit, and none were industrious, while myself choosing an industrious civ in order to try and negate the AI's production bonus somewhat. I have already met the Iroquois and the English, who both seem quite close. I moved my settler for two turns to a better spot at the very start in order to acquire the two food bonuses. I have set up a settler factory of types (Capital City).

I plan to create a Palace pre-build for the Great Library in my second or third city, then use the surplus cash to finance a large army, rush my weakest adversary, use the pickings for marketplaces and then a switch to republic, by which time I will be quite powerful economically and hopefully be in a good position for tech-broking. I shall create more detailed plans when I know more of the map.

In the screenshot below you can see my current situation. Unit positions are labelled. Planned future city sites are the transparent ones. I am going for a tight build because I am trying to conquer early, and also because of my feeling that the AI are so close. Later on when I have more space I will abandon two of these cities in order to obtain more room. The city sites are not necessarily numbered in the order I plan to build them.

The version is Civilization 3 v1.29F ENG.

I would like suggestions and tips, as well as constructive criticism and evaluation of my choices to date.

By the way, I am ahead of either England or Iroquois - I can't remember which - by Ceremonial Burial. Both of them are broke while I have around 50 something gold.

Oh, and another thing, I have just jumped from Regent to Deity.

As an aside, the program used to create this picture is Civassist II

Cheers!

EDIT: "New City 4" should be one square to the northwest, in order to snap up the extra gem luxury.

Attachments

• early game china deity.JPG
    early game china deity.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 133
I cannot recall the the C3 deity, but in C3C I do not like the GL. You do not get a long enough run. If the map is an island map, then it may be ok. On pangea you will barely get it built (if you do) and the next thing you see is everyone has education, good bye GL.

ICS was better in the ealry version, but I do not use it in normal play. I would prefer CxxC for the first 5 or so towns. You could have trouble getting that many settlers out before most of the land is taken. Depending on how close they are to you.

I would say do not hesitate to pay any demands, until you are really ready for war. At least to those on your land mass.

Having to spend two turns moving at this level can be painful. Looks like it may have been the best choice.

I sure hope you have some shield tiles in that fog or life will get very rough. One BG, no hills and no plains.

Mountains will take a lot of worker turns and deserts suck without Agriculture (Conquest only).

One thing I could suggest is that you consider no barbs and hence no huts. Not sure any more if that was an option in vanilla, just been too long. If you do have huts and pangea or contients, expansion civs are very detrimental to you. They get out and make contacts and pop huts.

This leads to the AA flying by and if you cannot make a few good trades, ouch. Not to mention that barb uprising come too soon. I know at sid the Ai does a good job of clearing barb camps, but Deity is a bit less so.

Sorry, I forgot to say, it's a standard archipelago map, 80% water.

I'm going to carry on from this save and see where I end up.

Top Bottom