My first game and the AI oddities

Arksa

Warlord
Started the game with Greece and Prince difficulty (I know too easy since I played emperor in civ 4).

I witnessed Bismarck not making a single military unit in the whole 160 turns (epic speed) of gaming apart from scouts. I crushed him utterly with companion cavarly combined with a great general.

Japans expansion was very slow and I could've easily stuck him in a corner since they weren't able to expand towards me. Didn't feel the need to since Bismarck gave all his cities pretty much for free (didn't lose a single unit in taking his 4 towns including capitol).

As much as I enjoyed allying with 4 city-states and all the other very nice things, The AI seemed like a braindead zombie to me. I know I know, Prince, but come on...no single military unit Bismarck? Really? At least Catherine had warriors/archers/spearmen, but I think every single empire would've fallen for my 4 companion cavarlies with general Cromwell.

So I looked at the demographics and I was #1 on everything except approval rating. Pretty much 3 times the food/production/commerce values compared to average. All this in my first game and 4 companion cavarlies.........

Has anyone else had this?

I've won a few games on Prince where the AI barely had military units. I think a lot of it depends on whether or not they get hit by a lot of Barbarians and whether or not you flaunt your military along their border.

Oh yeah, the barbs, at the end of that game (decided to quit and gonna start a new one one either king or emperor) I went to look how catherine (next in score after me) was doing and he had 3 towns with 2 barbarian encampments surrounding his borders.

How can you guys finish so many games already? Amazing.

How can you guys finish so many games already? Amazing.

I didn't finish it, I found it too easy and AI too weird, it didn't feel like an achviement to kick Bismarck out of the globe, so I'm starting a new one, 160 turns on epic is not enough to actually win whole game.

Well it depends.. in my Prince game now, Alexander has a huge army, just mowed through my muskets and pikes to capture that one city.

What's odd is I guess he just wanted his own color on his continent lol, and I only had that city. So he declared war, captured the city and then offered peace + 980gold + 17gpt... all that for a city he promptly razed.

THAT's an AI oddity lol

4 horseman units isn't a small army in this game, especially early in the game, especially when they're your unique unit.

Well it depends.. in my Prince game now, Alexander has a huge army, just mowed through my muskets and pikes to capture that one city.

What's odd is I guess he just wanted his own color on his continent lol, and I only had that city. So he declared war, captured the city and then offered peace + 980gold + 17gpt... all that for a city he promptly razed.

THAT's an AI oddity lol

I'm assuming that's pre-patch. A patch came out a few hours ago that tweaks the AI's valuation of cities among other things and some bug fixes. Your next game might be different.

I'm assuming that's pre-patch. A patch came out a few hours ago that tweaks the AI's valuation of cities among other things and some bug fixes. Your next game might be different.

oh wow, didn't know that. Gonna check up on patches right away before bed.

cheers!

4 horseman units isn't a small army in this game, especially early in the game, especially when they're your unique unit.

Ok I agree on that, I tried to spam units a bit too much since they seemed to be much cheaper in Civ 4. Now a cavarly unit takes almost as much as a market or a similar building.

Would you guys recommend Emperor difficulty for a Emperor Civ 4 veteran early on?

AI just seems a bit random on whether it wants to be competitive.

I went with Catherine on my 3rd game and had half of the world to myself long before teching to Cossacks. Diplomacy did work well, I tagged teamed on Caesar with Alexander and split up his empire quiet easily. Alexander then turned on me but got smoked when he attacked 2 turns after upgrading all my horsemen to knights, his companion units got slaughtered.

This was on standard map size, I realized I would win so I started a new game.

Top Bottom