My mod scenario keeps crashing on the Industrial Era screen

Twind

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I made a moded world in Civ3, and it keeps crashing when I reach the Industrial Era of technology. Once at that point of tech advancement, the game will crash whenever I click on the Science Advisor icon or click on the "What's the big picture?" option when I get notice that a technology has been discovered. I think there's something wrong with the computer code relating to the Industrial Era Technology Screen.

How do I debug my game?

Thanks.

In a loose metaphorical way, the Tech Screen is where the crash ended up, not necessarily where it started. The error is likely in another place. Possibly in the pedia file, or else a missing file the pedia is trying to link to. A well known crash scenario is when the game engine looks for a unit but doesn't find it - could be a name mismatch. If you haven't changed the pedia text file, I'd suggest doing some troubleshooting by looking for a missing file or a name mismatch.

How do I debug my game?
If you save your modded .biq as a "Debug" version (check-box under "Scenario Poperties" in the Editor), you might be able to figure out the problem yourself.

Note that you should save the debug.biq under a new filename (e.g. "MyMod_DEBUG.biq"), rather than over-writing your 'real' MyMod.biq. This is because simply turning off the Debug property can (apparently) cause file-corruption, rendering the .biq useless.

Starting a game from a Debug.biq lets you use cheats such as giving yourself a huge treasury, or any unit you want, allowing you to test everything in your mod, and also see what all the AI-Civs are doing with it as well (I believe it's also possible to take control of them yourself).

If you've located the problem, you can then go back to your original MyMod.biq file, and fix the problem there (and then create a new Debug version, if necessary).

Otherwise, more information is needed, e.g.
-- Is this simply a 'tweak' mod using the basic Firaxis assets -- i.e. rule-changes only, so could be run on any random map, on any machine?
-- Or is it something more complex, with its own map, and/or new resources, added techs, buildings (including Wonders), units, and/or governments (specifically in the Industrial or Modern eras)?
-- If the latter, do (all) your additions have the necessary PRTO entries in the Pediaicons.txt, matching graphics, sounds, etc.?
-- And have you set the correct Scenario Properties search-path(s), so that your accompanying mod-folder is the first place that the game checks for those assets?

Or you could start a beta-testing thread for your mod, to let other people test it.

I'm having the same problem right now. It's quite frustrating as no one seems to have an answer.

I'm having the same problem right now. It's quite frustrating as no one seems to have an answer.

I know. It's very frustrating when the game crashes without any error-message. It's however very very difficult for someone without access to the actual scenario/mod files to perform "remote troubleshooting". So many different things can cause crashes. Several good advices are already given by tjs282 in the previous post. See if some of them could help you nail the culprit. Or you could upload the biq and hope that someone will have time to take a look.
Best wishes...
Jorsalfare

Hi everyone,

I made a moded world in Civ3, and it keeps crashing when I reach the Industrial Era of technology. Once at that point of tech advancement, the game will crash whenever I click on the Science Advisor icon or click on the "What's the big picture?" option when I get notice that a technology has been discovered. I think there's something wrong with the computer code relating to the Industrial Era Technology Screen.

How do I debug my game?

Thanks.

Twind, believe me: There is nothing wrong with the computer code relating to the Industrial Era Technology Screen. The error is in your mod. There are a lot of very complex C3C mods, that are working very well in the Industrial Era, too.

The Industrial Era is the only era in C3C, that has two different advisor graphics for the techtree of that era. Do you use the correct techtree graphic
science_industrial_new in your mod ? Did you set the techs concerning Radio (that was the change compared to the old techtree settings of that era in C3C) correctly ? Can you have access to the era 3 techtree and the containt of its techboxes without crash when in era 1 or 2 ?

Yes, sounds like a Graphics Problem and it could be as simple as the science_industrial_new.pcx
As Civinator posted, see if you can view the industrial Tech Screen before you reach it. If you can then it seems to be a problem with how a Tech was added.
Check the New Tech that is discovered for how it is added to all files.

Hi everyone,

How do I debug my game?

Thanks.

I just solved my error-message-less crash. My "Maneuver Warfare" tech had ITSELF as a requirement tech. There was no warning for the editor. So you may wanna check all your techs to see if one of them has itself as a requirement.

Top Bottom