my mod sometimes crashes in the first several turns

dugfromthearth

Warlord
about 5-10 turns in my mod sometimes crashes. It gives no errors or warnings, just civ crashes to the desktop.

I am not using any custom unit graphics - most things currently point to warrior.

I have adjust most of the scenario settings.

Is there any usual culprit or good way to track this down?

This happens to sometimes when I try to load scenarios especialy while they are configuring.

I have no idea how to help you other than that it only happens to me on larger maps.

I find that the game tends to crash more when you have a lot of saves in the Save Game folder. No idea why, but I swear that in the modern age I can drastically cut down on crashes just by emptying that folder of old saved games.

Other than that the size of the map seems to be the main thing followed by the amount of trade routes. If your scenario uses airports and harbours then maybe try turning the 'allows sea/air trade' flags off (temporarily) to see if that makes a difference.

It is just a stub of a mod right now with about 8 units. It didn't happen with the first iteration. I added several units and techs, added new govt's, etc.

And it happens right at the start when everyone should only have 1-2 cities that sort of thing so I wouldn't think it was trade routes.

A big thing is I removed the standard worker, governtments, techs, etc. So I'm wondering if there is something the AI is just automatically trying to do that fails.

I do have entertainers. I know about the problem with not having those.

I think that some of the worker functions are hardcoded. IIRC if the second unit on the list is not a worker then you are in bad territory. That would definitely be something to check on. Also I think you need at least two governments - a transition type (Anarchy in standard civ) and a default type (Despotism).

I had a worker unit as the 4th unit behind army and leader.

I deleted army and leader (and turned off those on victory) and so far so good.

Thanks

dugfromthearth said:
I had a worker unit as the 4th unit behind army and leader.

I deleted army and leader (and turned off those on victory) and so far so good.

Thanks

Great :D. Nice to know I can be of help to someone. With any scenario it's best to leave the first two units alone. Also, IIRC the second unit in the list (usually the worker) is the only unit in the game that can be traded in diplomacy, so if you had a leader or army in there it would have made negotiations very interesting ;).

Top Bottom