My next issue...space victory not working

billybgame

King
Had a huge area....playing Chieftain still. Made some mistakes, but I'm re-learning, so it's all good. But, cannot build the last piece to the ship....exterior casing.....says I need aluminum AND rubber. My huge land area has no rubber.

Again maybe just because it's been so long I don't recall.....know in Civ 4 and 5, strategic resources were more plentiful.... but each strategic resource that I discovered through tech, I would only get 1 in my whole civ area. And, I didn't get any rubber.

Am I correct in assuming I'm screwed and have to retire this game? There is rubber near my border....so I tried to war but it's in a region where I have to war with two civs, and the Russians threw about 20 Cossacks at me and razed my city! Was thinking I might take a few cities easy, control rubber and win....but no so fast my friend.

Anyhow....what's the deal with the dearth of strategic resources? I got one Iron, one Horse, one of every resource I think, with like 20+ cities.

If this is the case and you need these resources to build the spaceship, how on earth could you win with a smaller area, when I didn't get rubber in a huge area?

If an AI has more than one source, they may be willing to trade it to you. If you have been an impolite player, and the AI have negative attitudes towards you, their excess (tradable) resources will be more expensive. They can only trade the excess to you if they have researched the prerequisite tech that allows them to see the resource.

That is to say there is probably an AI somewhere with some extra they can trade to you, although it might be pretty expensive. Warring is also a good option, but make sure you have a large initial force, and have a steady stream of reinforcements being built. When you attack a city, always bring units capable of bombardment, and defensive units to cover your attackers. Planes are useful in the later game, as are ships on coastal cities.

These are things I already knew, but thanks for answering....been playing Civ since 1.......just not used to the scarcity of the strategic resources.....started a new game....already have 5 cities....no horses, no iron. Big land mass, and already have searched a lot....only see 1 horse so far, with little chance of me getting it without major warfare. 2 Iron...one I may be able to settle and get.

So were all Civ 3 releases like this? I probably just have forgotten. By the way, I'm playing the Good Old Games Conquests package.

And, yes, to answer you about my prior space game......I think every single civ was either annoyed or furious with me. Didn't care much as had huge tech lead. But, yeah, trading with them may have been tricky, to say the least.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...es-in-c3c-is-totally-different-details.69502/
This is a thread in which the resource density was determined for C3C. The values in the chart are for a standard size map, playing with max opponents. Choosing fewer opponents will decrease the number of each resource (opposite is true). Just because there are enough instances to go around, doesn't mean they'll be distributed near each starting location, they're distributed randomly. Playing a younger Earth lowers the terrain diversity (large tracts of same terrain), and can create seemingly unfair distributions. An older Earth will create a more varied terrain, and have a higher probability of resources being dispersed 'better.'

Something that I have occasionally done is, if an AI player has two of the same resource, sometimes I gift the techs (or gift/trade), which gets me a good deal on the resource I really want. If I'm already far enough ahead on things, it does not hurt my position at all.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...es-in-c3c-is-totally-different-details.69502/
This is a thread in which the resource density was determined for C3C. The values in the chart are for a standard size map, playing with max opponents. Choosing fewer opponents will decrease the number of each resource (opposite is true). Just because there are enough instances to go around, doesn't mean they'll be distributed near each starting location, they're distributed randomly. Playing a younger Earth lowers the terrain diversity (large tracts of same terrain), and can create seemingly unfair distributions. An older Earth will create a more varied terrain, and have a higher probability of resources being dispersed 'better.'

That's very interesting and makes sense now.....I have been playing random everything....so maybe my "Earth" has been impacting things as well. If I continue to see issues, I might try that editing of the ratio that is mentioned. But, maybe I better try older Earth as you say, meantime.

Is there a community Mod for Civ 3 Conquests, by the way? I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't really discover this site until I was playing 4. Always loved BUFFY......and use Vox Populi for 5 now.

Thanks...Bill

Is there a community Mod for Civ 3 Conquests, by the way?
Civ3 is less amenable to crowd-sourced 'plug and play' code-modding than CivIV is (from what little I've understood), so there is no single recommended 'community-based' mod as such (in the same sense as BAT/BUG/BULL/BUFFY for CivIV).
Spoiler Modding Civ3 :
This is a lot 'simpler' in some ways than modding the later editions. Although the game-code itself is not moddable (though it has been hacked at various points by several individual CFC-contributors), creating a new .bic/.bix/.biq file (Vanilla/ PtW/ Conquests rulesets, respectively) is easy as pie, and making a new map is time-consuming but not difficult (and several tools have been home-brewed to automate the process). Re-purposing existing art-assets (and/or adding new art) is a little more involved (requires creating a specific directory for the mod, and editing one or more .txt files accordingly), but the pool of user-created art/sound files available (here and elsewhere) is now absolutely enormous.

So in the 19 years since Civ3 was first released, literally hundreds of Civ3 mods have been created (some very good, others, um... less so...), mostly by individuals or very small teams. As you might expect, the 'simplest' (Civ3Conquests) mods just tweak the existing .biq file, to change unit-stats, or what the basic buildings do. Some .biqs consist solely of a preset map (e.g. Earth), on which the basic game can be played. Some mods have both tweaked rules, and also a preset map, and many mods and scenarios include a much greater variety of units and buildings than the original game; of these, some take you from the Stone Age to the Silicon Age ("epic-mods"), some concentrate on a single historical area/period, and some are almost entirely new games in themselves ("scenarios").
If you're looking for some good epic-mods (which are either already pretty well-balanced, and/or still being maintained/supported by the individuals who created them), then I would recommend searching the Downloads database for:

@player1 fanatic's 'Patch suggestion' mods (basically just amended .bic/.bix/.biq files: adds no new content to the basic Firaxis epic-game)

Or for something more involved, and even more 'epic' (hundreds of new units, wonders, buildings!), try:

@Civinator's CCM (now on ver.2.4-ish)
@Civinator's RARR (update of the 'Rise and Rule' mod*)
@AnthonyBoscia's WorldWide
Spoiler * :
RAR was itself based on the 'Double Your Pleasure' mods for Civ3 Vanilla and PtW (and made by the same group who put DYP together, shortly after the original releases). IIRC, the RAR and DYP .biqs were/are included in the Civ3Complete package, but not the added units/buildings, which had to be DL'd separately from the creators' site — which is sadly no longer accessible)
There are some great scenario/ SF/ fantasy mods as well.
Spoiler I have tried (and/or would recommend) :
@WildWeazel's Middle Earth: Lord of the Mods
@Vuldacon's Escape from Zombie Island 2 (a new 'Elite' version has also been released recently)
@thamis' The Ancient Mediterranean (better than Firaxis' Mesopotamia Conquest!)
@Nathiri's Thelen Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae (fantasy mod; I helped play-test this one)
@Meteor Man's Star Wars The Mod Awakens (conquer the Galaxy after the Battle of Endor; Disney-NuCanon not included!)
@AnthonyBoscia's WWIII (northern hemisphere Earth-map, mod looks/is awesome; my machine couldn't cope with the initially very long turntimes :( )
@Lord Malbeth's Battle for the Human Body (Fight the disease — or be the disease!)
@Balthasar's Old West (work-in-progress, still being tweaked, works/looks great so far)

Also a couple that I have heard nothing but good things about (downloaded but not played yet):

@Lord Malbeth's Perdition or Salvation (fight the Last Battle!)
@Bluemofia's Playground Mod (now on ver.3.0: More Jedis! More ninjas! More giant death robots!)
@Plotinus's The Rood and The Dragon (Dark Age Britain: unite the warring British tribes, and repel the Viking invaders)
@Plotinus's The Desert and The Mountain (one of the very few Civ3 mods which recognise that 'Africa' consists of much more than just the Zulus...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom