My next project...

zappara

Mod Designer
Here's a early progress screenie about my new project's tech screen from ancient age... I'll just have to say that it's mindblowingly difficult to design tech tree and I already had to widen it up so that it scrolls horizontally and vertically because otherwise I can't fit all the techs in good order. I also find it hard to design tech tree which has merged mythologies/magic techs in it (how magical discoveries progress through time is the question I've been thinking lately) - RoM tech tree is the base for it but I'm adding some extra normal techs as well that didn't end up in RoM. Current pic isn't final start of the tech tree, it will change still many times as I go on and add more techs...

Attachments

• project.jpg
    project.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 636
May I ask if this project will be a stand alone mod or will it be an 'addon' for RoM?
Will there be patches or bugfixes(like General can build Secret Army Base in ancient times ;)) for RoM or do you concentrate on your new project?

It's stand alone mod and not addon just because I'm going to end the tech tree when player reaches industrial era and all the unit types, buildings, unit groups... everything will be different from the RoM settings. I'd estimate that it will take about 2 years to make it just like I've used about that much time to make RoM.

There will be patches and bug fixes for RoM still, I'm not jumping directly to my new project, I've just began designing tech tree for it and do that only occasionally (it's mostly thinking process).

I also find it hard to design tech tree which has merged mythologies/magic techs in it (how magical discoveries progress through time is the question I've been thinking lately)

I can't help but notice you're taking the FFH view on sorcery and what not, but usually (from what I've seen from movies etc.) a sorcerer's practices branch off of their beliefs and get their power from their divine leader, and not magic deposits found on the ground. I propose instead of having those magic techs off to the side like that, have the sorcerers need a specific religion as their state religion to be built, (and may only be built by cities with the highest rank buildings of that religion). Then go through a series of events that specify your civ's use of that religion which will allow your sorcerers to get promos in that field OR pick a National building that allows promos (get a choice of good/evil path within the religion and that civ can only pick 1 out of the 2 national buildings for promos). Some of the units may be more powerful than others, but are limited in numbers.
For Example:
Priest / Prophet - Judaism, Christianity, Islam
Shaman (or Druid) - Nagualism
Magician - Zoroastrian
And then there's the World Units than can only be built by a great prophet and specific religions.
God - Amun-Ra, Hellenism
Yet theres also those religions that don't produce sorcerers, but rather give promos to regular units relating to the religion such as Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism
While others may not be specialized sorcerers and can only be built if you DON'T have specific religions, and were derived from Ritualism with a meaning. They proceed with their promos not by events, but techs such as Mysticism.
Wizard - Ritualism
Witch - Naturopathy (produce potions from plants and animals)

I can't help but notice you're taking the FFH view on sorcery and what not, but usually (from what I've seen from movies etc.) a sorcerer's practices branch off of their beliefs and get their power from their divine leader, and not magic deposits found on the ground. I propose instead of having those magic techs off to the side like that, have the sorcerers need a specific religion as their state religion to be built, (and may only be built by cities with the highest rank buildings of that religion).
That's good point there - My own plan is to use Guilds (corporations for different elements <- because they compete with each other) for the purpose of getting access to magical units/buildings. Guilds (Corporations) will also require magical element resources but in case of Life and Death magic I was actually going to use Religions for them. Each unit type will require building in city before you can build them, same for most promotions. Magical resources will be there (mithril, adamantium, elements etc).

While some of those magic techs are at the moment branched off the final goal is to merge them to tech tree. You're just looking early version of the beginning of the tech tree ;)

I have some version of FFH on my computer but it didn't work on bts v3.17 so I haven't actually seen yet how all those things have been done in FFH which is probably good thing. I just extracted the graphics because they got all the fantasy stuff in their pak files :)

Yet theres also those religions that don't produce sorcerers, but rather give promos to regular units relating to the religion such as Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism

Huh? Are we talking about the same Taoism that produced Liu Pei's advisor Chuko Liang in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, or the Hindus that gave us the clearly magic-laden Mahabharata? Both of those religions have a strong magical element in their early history, and an argument could be made for a link between Confucianism and the I-Ching, which is a system of divination. If divination doesn't fall into the sphere of magic, I am unsure what does.

can u explain the magics plz?
Well, that's a good question - how would you explain magic? ;)

I think my attempt on it is mix of earth mythologies (werewolf, dracula, mummies etc) and common things seen in fantasy novels (AD&D, Wheel of Time, Forgotten Realms, Elder Scrolls for example) and I'll try to "cook" some kind of logical progress how Civs develop with both normal and magical techs. There's nothing set in stone yet as this early on mod designing. If you've played long time ago Master of Magic game, you'll then know what kind of mod this will be (sort of).

Well, that's a good question - how would you explain magic? ;)

I think my attempt on it is mix of earth mythologies (werewolf, dracula, mummies etc) and common things seen in fantasy novels (AD&D, Wheel of Time, Forgotten Realms, Elder Scrolls for example) and I'll try to "cook" some kind of logical progress how Civs develop with both normal and magical techs. There's nothing set in stone yet as this early on mod designing. If you've played long time ago Master of Magic game, you'll then know what kind of mod this will be (sort of).

Might consider some interplay between "magic" and "real" technology - chemistry as we know it came about because of the popularity of alchemy in Europe in the 1500s-1700s, ditto astronomy from astrology.

Might consider some interplay between "magic" and "real" technology - chemistry as we know it came about because of the popularity of alchemy in Europe in the 1500s-1700s, ditto astronomy from astrology.
Yes, there will be these type of progress in techs (Calender also comes after Astrology). Alchemy will most likely have Wizardry as requirement and Chemistry will require Alchemy. Mithril Working will require Iron Working etc.

Might want to take a look at my old Warlords Japanese Mod, i have lots and lots of tech tree stuff there, mainly from FfH but i do have quite a few added also.
I never incorporated magic though, wish i could have.

Hmm, you said you were chasing your tail on how magic technology advances - I'm seeing something like a line Mysticism-Prophecy-Divination and Mysticism-Prophecy-Divine Inspiration, with Divine Inspiration giving you the classic D&D Paladin, or Joan of Arc (who, really, is the classic D&D paladin, go figure...), and Divination giving you bonuses to visibility or espionage.

Similar vein, Stone Tools-Mysticism-Fetishism-(with pick-a-metalworking)-Mage-Forging (or another name...).

What I think would be amazing is incorporating the magic until it was replaced by technology.

Until then it would be awesome that for magic to be a good component of the game

Magic points could be used like science or espionage points

The founder of divination magic could know what happens in other parts of the world or get early warning before attack
Elemental magic could cause world events like thunder storms to wash out roads
Fire magic could get an extra attack
Earth magic extra defense

It could even advance that civs must choose to be magical or scientific in that later game, and that could be another dividing factor

I realize it is sounding impossibly complex, but the options are very exciting

What I think would be amazing is incorporating the magic until it was replaced by technology.
Or if technology and magic advance through time side by side. ;)

wow Zappara :D

I'm impressed... can't wait to see where you go with this.
Progress with this has been slow - actually none at all since I wasn't able to mod for weeks and now been busy with RoM updates. Good thing is that our dark and cold winter is approaching (by christmas it's only 6hours of daylight here) so that'll kick some ideas flowing...

Small progress update: tech tree is maybe about 20% done ie. that amount of techs are in place but most are of course still empty techs. Once RoM v2.5 is ready I can concentrate more on this project. :)

Small progress update: tech tree is maybe about 20% done ie. that amount of techs are in place but most are of course still empty techs. Once RoM v2.5 is ready I can concentrate more on this project. :)

When are you finally going to stop on RoM?:rolleyes:

When are you finally going to stop on RoM?:rolleyes:
Well, I probably won't stop totally until Civ 5 is released but after v2.5 is ready I have no plans for other major patches anymore so after that version there will be only minor bug fixes and mod component updates in the future patches. Because those mod components probably still have some bugs and f.ex. Better BTS AI is still at v0.41 there will be more patches to them and I need to merge them to RoM every now and then... but anyway after RoM 2.5 I will be concentrating more on playing RoM and developing my fantasy mod project - though I'll probably just play more during december and get back to modding on January (I think I could use small break after 2 years of modding RoM ;))

Top Bottom