My Old World Experience, 2-Weeks In

Das Capitolin

Warlord
After a solid two weeks worth of playing Old World, I have completed the tutorial missions along with a few other scenario. I have a decent grasp of the game mechanics, and do fairly well on standard difficulty.

On the whole, I like the game. It's not quite as immersive, neither graphically or geographically, as I would like. The dialog can be a bit much at times, but I can skim and it does keep me interested in the story. I have been enjoying the succession planning, but have not fared well with some of the individual challenges.

My biggest gripe is raiders and barbarians. They start small, and then within a few turns (literally) they turn into an over-powering invasion that become impossible to repel. I accept that units will be lost, but how can a tiny little barbarian camp produce more than my collection of cities? I have dialed it down to the lowest difficulty, and still find that they pose a huge issue, and once they get into the city to cause damage, a snowball effect occurs.

There is something less interesting and personally appealing about the wonders in Old World, compared to those of Civilization. Perhaps it is their appearance, or the lack of finished cut-scene, but they are no more exciting than placing a farm or camp. The same is true for units, and their promotions seem muddled at times.

I will continue plodding along as time allows, but for now I am still looking for a level of zeal from the game that makes me want for another turn.

You will learn to handle the barbarians soon.
My tips is to attack them with some units. Generals and promotions are very important in old world because of orders. So spend time to equip generals and spend your training on promotions and then upgrade the units.

Fair criticisms from another new player. :) I feel like the game is very well put together mechanically, but would like some improvements to combat mechanics (I want defensive play to be a thing), something to add more life to the maps, and maybe more content overall.

I have just finished my third Old World playthrough, and have now loaded up Humankind to check out the new DLC and patch. My impression so far is that while HK has a lot going for it, OW is designed more to my liking. HK has a very vibrant map, but it is let down by the region system and extreme urban sprawl, which makes it feel small. I also find myself spending most of my time after the Neolithic looking not at the vibrant map, but at the drab grey map of the medium zoom level.

Actually how you plan you defense is more important in Old World than other 4x. If you have not planned with fortified units on forts and cities, then when the opponent attacks they will wipe out alot of your army.
Other 4x are more forgiving with positioning.
It is a deliberate design choice to not get stalemates.

Top Bottom