1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on Civ5 (That's not a 'Story' or a 'Tale')

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lemmy101, Sep 22, 2010.

1. charon2112

charon2112 King

I agree 100% with all of the below. Well stated.

2. evilgreg

evilgreg Chieftain

Great thread, great points! I completely agree with OP. Over the weekend I went back and played a few rounds of Civ IV and then went back to CiV, definitely not going back to IV for a while.

I had the same problem dude. If you search in the mod store there is an official clock mod by firaxis up there--it kind of sucks though because in the later game the clock is displayed right on top of your resources...

Now I'm going to go read Lemmy's playthrough as I struggle through this last hour at work.

3. charon2112

charon2112 King

I hear you. I've tried to play IV several times since V came out, but I miss V's new features too much.

4. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

I agree with a lot of your points. One of the problems I have (UI) is being changed a bit in the next patch to make it show more, so I have high hopes for Civ 5's future. I do miss the health though. Two similar but different systems to limit city growth gave us a goal to achieve, balance. Now all you need to go for is all out happiness.

5. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

Um....I suppose you were doing somethign in Civ4 that I wasn't because I certainly couldn't drop my slider down a notch or two and 'happily' trundle on. OVer time that turn or two would mean a significant tech gap between me and the computer which was NOT fun.

I'm not gonna argue the rest. You're free to like aspects of the game that I don't and it is clear that we see things VERY differently. Your discussion of health talks about game mechanics and limtiing factors...mine would talk about the importance of health to human existence and my pleasure at it being represented i nthe game (albeit abstractly).

6. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

Yes, but that was a CHOICE you made. Some people liked to run flat out, others liked to hold back a little bit and reap bigger profits (over the long run). My buddy and I were like that. He ran balls to the wall and never had money for upgrades. I liked to ensure that I always had a store of money in case of emergencies. Two different play styles (out of many).

Sure in Civ5 yo uhave to plan ahead....but you did in Civ4 too. Slider control was never going to make up for your lack of banks OR universities. It did, however, give you an aditional point of control over your economy and science (and happiness and espionage...).

7. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Personally, I'd argue that while we didn't "need" multiple growth-limiting mechanics (health / happiness / food), those additional layered mechanisms sure did give Civ4 a lot more depth in that area than we have in Civ5.

As Masterminded wrote in his "Cogent Explanation" thread, making Shafer Rating (aka Global "Happiness") the single limiting factor that needs to limit everything is heavy-handed and deprives the player of choices and options. This is part of what leads me to boredom with Civ5 in it's current state. I don't think "simpler" is automatically "better."

Civ5 is certainly more accessible for being simplified - which is good, in a way, b/c I'd love to have more Civ fans out there - but this seems like a pretty crude way to achieve simplicity.