Naeralith Reborn: Civ 5 Mod

not a bad idea ther with the herbalist, but i worry that if a city dosnt have any food resources nearby they cant build the granary, smokehouse or fishing village (ie if you build a city in a desert or snow to get a desired strategic resource that is out of reach of your culture)

Sure, that'd suck, but would be historically accurate. Cities that lack food don't grow. You could compromise, and make it heal units AND give +1 food. ;)

also, the forge dosnt consume iron, just requires there be iron in the cities radius ;)

Ah, I see. Still, a 20% bonus instead of 15% might be better.

Sure, that'd suck, but would be historically accurate.

very true ;)

Ah, I see. Still, a 20% bonus instead of 15% might be better.

ok :) unit production times in civ 5 are too slow anyway :p

edit:

would you say

Granary: +2 food, +1 food for each Grain Resource nearby.
Smokehouse: +2 food, +1 food for each Meat Resource nearby.
Fishing Village: +2 food, +1 food for each Sea Food Resource nearby.

or

Granary: +10% food, +1 food for each Grain Resource nearby.
Smokehouse: +10% food, +1 food for each Meat Resource nearby.
Fishing Village: +10% food, +1 food for each Sea Food Resource nearby.

or

Granary: +5% food, +1 food for each Grain Resource nearby.
Smokehouse: +5% food, +1 food for each Meat Resource nearby.
Fishing Village: +5% food, +1 food for each Sea Food Resource nearby.

or

Granary: +2 food, +5% food for each Grain Resource nearby.
Smokehouse: +2 food, +5% food for each Meat Resource nearby.
Fishing Village: +2 food, +5% food for each Sea Food Resource nearby.

or something different, would be better for these buildings?

The first one seems best. Percentage bonuses always benefit bigger cities more than little ones. That doesn't make sense for these buildings, as they should benefit smaller cities more than big ones.

The first one seems best. Percentage bonuses always benefit bigger cities more than little ones. That doesn't make sense for these buildings, as they should benefit smaller cities more than big ones.

excelent, great minds think alike :)

Personally I think the SECOND option is best ;)

I mean ... the store-houses give bonuses based on over-all food production ... but resources add directly ;)

// so yea, Percentage bonus for "having a place to store things" ... and a direct bonus (with building) for the grains ...

although I'd rather it be +10% food, and +1.5 food per resource

// Also, cities for the Desert people might should get extra food from trade-routes

I mean ... the store-houses give bonuses based on over-all food production ... but resources add directly

this is true, but from a gameplay balance perspective option 1 is better because as afforess said these buildigns would be directed at smaller cities, and % food increase would only really benefit bigger cities (and we have other buildigns which fulfill this later on)

// Also, cities for the Desert people might should get extra food from trade-routes

there are some different mechanics well be toying around with for these guys. food from trade is interesting, but im not sure it suits the theme of all the civs (Ak'Dav is isolationist, Newetah is more focussed on the rivers and oases for food rather than food from trade, But Kambai... they could certainly use food from trade. could make a nice trait...)

From internal trade routes. Isolationist wouldn't mean their own cities are isolated from each other right?

From internal trade routes. Isolationist wouldn't mean their own cities are isolated from each other right?

thats correct :) but from a lore perspective i doubt Ak'Dav would be trading food significantly enough for it to be a big enough factor to be represented in game

thats correct :) but from a lore perspective i doubt Ak'Dav would be trading food significantly enough for it to be a big enough factor to be represented in game

Traditionally the Ak'dav do trade in food, but only from an import perspective to meet their requirements (there isn't that much fertility in Ak'dav). But yeah I don't think that is significant enough to be represented in game. Especially considering you could play as Ak'dav n start in beautiful grasslands ;)

Al

UPDATES (kinda) :p

Thank you all for the feedback so far on the buildings.

Myself and TheChanger have been discussing a few things and have bounced some interesting ideas off one-another. We have taken into consideration what everybody has been saying and have also come up with some new ideas relating to resources.

With that in mind, we are going to pull the present building design and rework it with our new vision in mind ;)

This means I wont post era 3, 4 or 5 buildings till we have done this. The first thing will be a resources update which I will post tonight so that you can see the kind of things available to your respective empires in Naeralith Reborn :)

Al

UPDATES

Initial resource design added. Take a look and let me know what you think of the design and yields :)

Al

Very cool resources. Are they all going to have actual uses, or are the majority of them just trade fodder?

Hi, this is my first post here but I've been following for some days now. I'm very interested in a fantasy mod to Civ V and this one looks quite promising - I mean, wow, Alzara, some serious thought has gone into this! I commend all the work that's been done both imaginatively and at the gameplay level, its really tremendous in just a few weeks since release.

That said, I have one really nitpicky comment. Keep in mind my primary experience is as a linguist and writer, sometimes even a writer of fantasy...

You waaayy overuse the letter L, and in particular the sound combinations "lu" and "lo". For instance take a look at your list of bonus resources:

Avuulin
Copuls
Japula
Kalkus
Lumanins
Malumi
Mulgorf
Slui
Maelo
Sporral
Shibbil

Aside from diversifying your consonants a little, you might also want to up the number of monosyllabic words. If you look at english 'resource words' you'll notice that the majority of them are monosyllabic (wood, fish, cow, horse, corn, grain, etc). To me this reflects their common everyday usage. If the initial purpose of language was to describe our physical environment, it would make sense for the descriptions to be concise and practical. Ie, if a giant predator is coming right for you it makes more sense to yell "Bear!" than it does to yell "Malumi!"; if you're communicating over water and find a spot with good tasty creatures below the surface it's easier to shout "Fish!" than "Mulgorf!"

Just a thought, take it for what you will.

Very cool resources. Are they all going to have actual uses, or are the majority of them just trade fodder?

Yes they will have uses. For luxuries, most of these will be tied into buildings. More will be announced on this functionality soon ;)

Al

Hi, this is my first post here but I've been following for some days now. I'm very interested in a fantasy mod to Civ V and this one looks quite promising - I mean, wow, Alzara, some serious thought has gone into this! I commend all the work that's been done both imaginatively and at the gameplay level, its really tremendous in just a few weeks since release.

Thank you for your kind words :) I'm glad that you appreciate the content I have written and hope u continue to do so as I add more; gameplay and lorewise!

That said, I have one really nitpicky comment. Keep in mind my primary experience is as a linguist and writer, sometimes even a writer of fantasy...

You waaayy overuse the letter L, and in particular the sound combinations "lu" and "lo". For instance take a look at your list of bonus resources:

Avuulin
Copuls
Japula
Kalkus
Lumanins
Malumi
Mulgorf
Slui
Maelo
Sporral
Shibbil

Aside from diversifying your consonants a little, you might also want to up the number of monosyllabic words. If you look at english 'resource words' you'll notice that the majority of them are monosyllabic (wood, fish, cow, horse, corn, grain, etc). To me this reflects their common everyday usage. If the initial purpose of language was to describe our physical environment, it would make sense for the descriptions to be concise and practical. Ie, if a giant predator is coming right for you it makes more sense to yell "Bear!" than it does to yell "Malumi!"; if you're communicating over water and find a spot with good tasty creatures below the surface it's easier to shout "Fish!" than "Mulgorf!"

Just a thought, take it for what you will.

:D

I have an extreme example in my head at the moment: "Look out a blahblahblahblahblah..... oh too late" :D

I recall being told off by another for my linguistical combinations. Unfortunately I'm not a linguist and my only language skills are English-based.
Maybe you could make a few suggestions? I've been considering getting some sort of book to help me with the linguistical stuff. I have had at least 1 recommendation.

For now I'm just going to try and catch this unbelievablycolourfulandshinyfish.... oh.... it swam away :D

Al

well ... I just try to simplify my design .... by using stuff already in the human consciousness (without making up new words :p .. for the most part)

But yea, I'm no programmer so its unlikely I'm going to be modding anything soon ... hehe

Also, sometimes using words from other languages is Kosher.

The best advice I have is to think of your world in terms of at least a few distinct language groups, each with their own identity. You might only speak English, but I'm sure you'd recognize the difference between spoken German, French, and Spanish, based solely on linguistic patterns. French, for instance, is a very fast language with lots of vowel and consonant subtlety; Spanish, on the other hand, takes about three times as long to say anything, and pretty much always is pronounced exactly how it looks. And in German they actually have words like prettyshinycolorfulfishfromtheriverbymyhouse.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's no wrong way to do it. It could very well be the case that one of your language groups uses the hell out of the 'lo' and 'lu' sounds (I mean, look at Hawaiian). As long as you're consciously making that decision, and not just falling into the trap of trying to make a 'fantasy-sounding-name' for something (which always ends up sounding just like Tolkien Elvish to me).

The best advice I have is to think of your world in terms of at least a few distinct language groups, each with their own identity. You might only speak English, but I'm sure you'd recognize the difference between spoken German, French, and Spanish, based solely on linguistic patterns. French, for instance, is a very fast language with lots of vowel and consonant subtlety; Spanish, on the other hand, takes about three times as long to say anything, and pretty much always is pronounced exactly how it looks. And in German they actually have words like prettyshinycolorfulfishfromtheriverbymyhouse.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's no wrong way to do it. It could very well be the case that one of your language groups uses the hell out of the 'lo' and 'lu' sounds (I mean, look at Hawaiian). As long as you're consciously making that decision, and not just falling into the trap of trying to make a 'fantasy-sounding-name' for something (which always ends up sounding just like Tolkien Elvish to me).

Thanks for the advice! I think I will re-work some of the names and also potentially come up with a source for each name (i.e. which language and where it came from) :)

For now myself and TheChanger are tying these resources in with buildings. A new building design plus some reworked names will follow soon :)

Al

Hmm. I suppose language could be almost as significant as religion .... if there was a way to determine and control which civ used which Language.

So I woke up this morning and before I even had my coffee I was hit by a moment of inspiration regarding your mod. With so many civilizations all focused on a specific type of terrain, it would be really cool if all cultural boundaries gradually terraformed the land up to a few tiles outside the cultural boundary.

This would create interesting situations where, for instance, the 'good Fae' are allied with the 'plains horse' people, but the damn horsemen keep cutting down the forest everywhere. So when the 'evil Fae' start to invade their land, maybe the 'good Fae' will just back off for a while...

Basically, if in addition to the moral diplomacy of the world (good vs. evil) there was also a level of geographic diplomacy that pitted different preferred terrains against each other.

Top Bottom