Naming an area

Black Bart

Chieftain
It is my understanding that you can name areas in Civ IV, but only if it fits in a tile. That's great for a mountain, but not for a river. I think that naming a geographical feature should be changed.

If I'm playing as Egypt for example, and I settle next to a river, I might want to name it the Nile River. But you can't really name the river, you can only name a tile adjacent to the river. You should be able to label the entire river as the Nile. The same goes for seas, oceans, deserts, etc.

Feel free to post your opinions

Well, I suppose this would be a nice cosmetic change, although I don't label things myself. However, one problem I can see with that I think it would be hard for sub-tile terrain features to act as an individual layer on the map, or something, which would be required to label them, which would mean a redo of the way they make such geographical features, I'm guessing.

I think you should just be able to write on the map, using text boxes - same as you would do in an image or document editing program. Perhaps a menu to pick a font and so on. No border or background color. The boxes themselves could be moved around, rotated, resized, or deleted.

This way you could do what I've always wanted to do in civ - name large geographic features. "The Great Desert" or "The White Mountains" or whatever. You can sort-of do this with signposts, but it's ugly and not really the kind of effect that I want.

I think you should just be able to write on the map, using text boxes - same as you would do in an image or document editing program. Perhaps a menu to pick a font and so on. No border or background color. The boxes themselves could be moved around, rotated, resized, or deleted.

This way you could do what I've always wanted to do in civ - name large geographic features. "The Great Desert" or "The White Mountains" or whatever. You can sort-of do this with signposts, but it's ugly and not really the kind of effect that I want.
If you could have a nice, big, Indiana-Jones-style "The Great Desert" stretching across the map for your units to march about on, that would be really cool. I might actually use that.

I don't want the developers to be wasting their time on a word processing program, though (although I don't imagine it would be all that intensive to make). Lots of fonts would probably take up a lot of space.

I don't want the developers to be wasting their time on a word processing program, though (although I don't imagine it would be all that intensive to make). Lots of fonts would probably take up a lot of space.
What would prevent them from just looking in your regular fonts directory?

I support this idea. It'd be great for immersion and for people who like to tell stories of their civs on here. :)

Top Bottom