NASA presents space exploration plans

Bluemofia said:
Bah! NASA is spending the same amount as it did in the 60s but accomplishing 1% as much. We need another Cold War to give NASA a goal.

There is the war on terror!You cant let Al-Qaida to build a moon base first,they'll set up their big 'laser' and be able target any city on the planet. :crazyeye:

Im not buying it. Hundreds of billions for Iraq, hundreds for the Gulf Coast reconstruction, now hundreds more for the Moon? The funding for it will be gradually reduced until in about 5 years they'll announce that the whole things been cancelled.

Urederra said:
I copy part of the article.

After 36 years, all that NASA can offer is the same set of missions with the same technology, only "on steroids." Great. This is what $100,000,000 will buy you.

And btw, the moonbase is not certain. It is only mentioned as a possibility.

Bozo Erectus said:
Im not buying it. Hundreds of billions for Iraq, hundreds for the Gulf Coast reconstruction, now hundreds more for the Moon? The funding for it will be gradually reduced until in about 5 years they'll announce that the whole things been cancelled.

The timing of the announcement certainly is mind-blowing. As much as I'm in favor of space exploration of any stripe or color, I'm wondering if the US can afford bbbillions in spending right now - assuming that the current Iraq and Katrina spendings continue unabated.

We definitely cant afford it, especially with all the tax cuts. The next president will have to make some tough decisions. Im sure the Moon will be far down on his list of priorities.

Bozo Erectus said:
We definitely cant afford it, especially with all the tax cuts. The next president will have to make some tough decisions. Im sure the Moon will be far down on his list of priorities.

Indeed. Are there any fiscal-conservative Republicans out there that are prospective presidential front-runners? Because AFAIK Hillary has never seen a spending bill she didn't like, and I don't see any Dems taking the nomination away from her.

Which, naturally, means that she'll win - can you (SN, feel free to chime in) think of a presidential candidate proposing tax increases or spending cuts that defeated one that sidestepped or opposed the painful stuff?

A Democratic president would cancel the tax cuts for the wealthy, and reduce military spending (by then we'll probably either be out of Iraq, or on the way out). It'll take a long time to climb out of the fiscal hole Bush created though. No matter who or what party wins in '08, lunar exploration will be the loser.

Well this time round at least they have George Lucas graphic art to support the realism of this, part 2, " moon landing".

What's that saying again.... lights...camera...action!

Top Bottom