Naval Mine

Well- true in some way, but it would sink (or better get lost) in high seas if tagged respectively. And the mine would not be able to bombard targets, and at a movement rate of 1 be less of an offensive weapon than any ship, "driffting" almost undetected (stealth). It would merely be able to attack vessels that have been unfortunate enough to wander too close to the mine in the first place- i.e. the immidiately next square :). So we may well see coastal strips littered with these cuties (if we make it a unit that is only buildable in coastal cities we may not even need the airdrop possibility...

with "hidden nationality" and invisibility for the mine, do ships who accidently hit the pass of the mine attack without being asked the "will you really attack question"???

Originally posted by KTM609
with "hidden nationality" and invisibility for the mine, do ships who accidently hit the pass of the mine attack without being asked the "will you really attack question"???

Well, if the hidden nationality is up it shouldn't because the attack wouldn't trigger a violation of treaties, would it ??

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r

Well, if the hidden nationality is up it shouldn't because the attack wouldn't trigger a violation of treaties, would it ??

Just like the land mines they just bump into it. They dont know it's there (its invisible), but they soon find out after the ship sinks. With hidden nationality the AI does not start any kind of war either. So they just run into it, sink, and nobody cares. (except the sailors' families of course)

Trying to think how a mine would 'attack'. If it had - zero A/D (or 1 D), zero range bombard and the cruise missile flag would the mine be destroyed even if it killed the enemy unit?

Originally posted by zulu9812
Trying to think how a mine would 'attack'. If it had - zero A/D (or 1 D), zero range bombard and the cruise missile flag would the mine be destroyed even if it killed the enemy unit?

thats an interesting idea. Can someone try it please? I cant test it right now, but I will as soon as I get the chance.

The defense has to be at least 1. If it is 0 the unit is captured (like workers) instead of attacked.

I tried to do that once. I successfully made a land mine (used an immobile paratrooper. :)), but I couldn't get a water mine. Airdropping won't work, and it can't unload in the sea. (Even making it a sea unit won't work...). I can see it having a movement of 1, and maybe a high enough defense to damage the ship...

Which brings something up... a mobile water-nuke. :) (Futuristic unit).

Originally posted by Chieftess
I tried to do that once. I successfully made a land mine (used an immobile paratrooper. :)), but I couldn't get a water mine. Airdropping won't work, and it can't unload in the sea. (Even making it a sea unit won't work...). I can see it having a movement of 1, and maybe a high enough defense to damage the ship...

Which brings something up... a mobile water-nuke. :) (Futuristic unit).

I think as long as you have a zero attack rating on this unit. It is OK to give it a move factor of 1.
I recommend giving it sink in sea and/or sink in ocean ability too to limit their movement.
One thing I have tried is giving them airlift ability. This works well for moving them between cities. Only problem is, sometimes you can "beach" them by putting them in cities where there is no water. No problem though, you just airlift them again.

Great Idea..

Well you could have them move by creating a mine layer that would place them in their respective locations.. I dont know how you would flag it but that would satisfy a lot of history buffs on uses of the mines..

but i think you cannot unload in water.
so a move of 1 with zero attack should be fine. Anyhow i always thought that naval mines are drifting and not fixed.

Originally posted by KTM609
but i think you cannot unload in water.

but you can wake the unit in a transport and move it that way. But I don't know if naval units can transport naval units.

I'm just posting here to let pesoloc know I'm looking at a fixed naval mine as a prime candidate for a unit my committee-made WWI mod. Sure, you can't figure out a way to move it - but I might be able to make use of it in fixed positions at the start of a game: say, in the Dardenelles, near Heligoland and off Scapa Flow.

R.III

Originally posted by Richard III
I'm just posting here to let pesoloc know I'm looking at a fixed naval mine as a prime candidate for a unit my committee-made WWI mod. Sure, you can't figure out a way to move it - but I might be able to make use of it in fixed positions at the start of a game: say, in the Dardenelles, near Heligoland and off Scapa Flow.

R.III

That sounds so cool. Let me know when the scenario is finished and where I can get it. You could make them immobile and hidden nationality and "invisible." Then make them available only to the barbarians (so no one can build them)
If you made them belong to the barbarians and placed them out to sea at the very start, anyone who hit them would be hurt.

Good idea, although I would want to somehow warn the Turks, Germans and Brits who put them there that they existed!

I will keep you up to date on our progress. I expect this one to take awhile, since I (a) don't beleive we will have much competition from Firaxis on this one, and (b) we want to do it right with 1900's feel in everything, so we're probably looking at a few months.

R.III

I think this would be a lot better if it looked like a minefield rather than a single mine. This unit would be very interesting if civ3 had the call to power trade route system.

I will use this naval Mine in my WW2 MOD...

I have this ideas:

Naval unit
inmobile, invisible, maybe hidden nationality...
paradrop, load and unload

I think it should be possible to load them onto a transport (I didn't tried this out yet) and then to unload them in the sea...

Paradrop because then you can "trhow them into water out of a plane" if you have an airport.. i think that'S the only possible way a AI could use them.. (Even if i don't think so...)

They will have less defense so that the AI won't build only mines..

BTW. I use the Land mines too.. I think about the same stats as Naval Mines... maybe less defense

I got a problem with it : when I set Hidden nationality and hit them with a normal ship (can't see invisible), when... this ship can't see anything, even the explosion ! That means I can see the defendig ship firing the mine, but don't see the mine at all !

Would you know why ?

Top Bottom