1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NC LXVIII: Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by dalamb, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Horgh666

Horgh666 Chieftain

@dalamb

Spoiler :
    I was equally surprised by the late rush. I found Carthage to be terirbly easy to take early on, before Hannibal gets a hold of archery. Not to mention that it's a nice boost to your empire.

Interesting decisions there. But I bet your game was more satisfying than mine. As happy as I am to have my first culture win, it was a pain to handle a large continent full of cities who do nothing but build stuff.

2. dalamb

dalamb Deity

@Horgh666, Archon_Wing:
    Spoiler :
    I don't know why I didn't just rush from my initial city rather than waiting to build 2 others. Maybe I was too tightly focused on getting the capital to build the Oracle.

In any case, given the problem with the max turns being too short for Epic, I am considering whether to "back up" a bit and try for space. I don't think there's a way to change the time limit from within the worldbuilder, so the only way to fix a recent save is genereate a WB save file and edit it with a text editor (which has some interesting consequences given that not all the game state makes it into a WB file).

Alternatively, I could just restart from the beginning with a fixed-up WB save, and in addition to going for space could rush Carthage sooner.

Or I could play a different map, I suppose, but I'm still kind of focused on winning with Zara by my originally-planned approach.

3. Horgh666

Horgh666 Chieftain

I wonder, could the turns bug with Epic speed have cased my lower than usual score?

Ummm...

Maybe I'll retry the game just to check.

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The score's biased towards having more land/pop and time, so there's not much to worry about it-- largely meaningless.

5. avw94

avw94 Chieftain

Spoiler :
    I was attemptig to settle my third city to block of the Carthage to my west (to make them an easy rush target) when my settling party (a warrior, a settler & a worker) was jumped by a lion and a bear. I was in a forest, beat the lion, but got killed by the bear. That provoked a rage quit.

6. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

for this reason I ussualy have more troops arounf and some at destination, to scaut possible threats