Need a Little Guidance

loppydog

Chieftain
Hi guys. I was hoping to get a little help with my new start. I have been playing CIV for a little while now and I know the basics, but I wanted to really try to better understand the deeper mechanics. I want to try to learn adjacency bonuses and tile/district placement better. I started this game as China on emperor. I wanted to upload my starting location to try to get recommendations on how I should plan this out. I placed a pin for the industrial zone and the commercial hub so far based on my limited knowledge. I figure the commercial hub tile is worthless and borders 3 side with the river. I just need one more logical district to make a triangle with my city (assuming I settle in place). For the industrial district, it seemed good with all those fissures and mountains.

I can upload more pictures of the rest of the area if you would like to see more. Please let me know how you would plan this city/cites out. Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized I put the pin as an industrial zone. I meant that to be a campus. I am thinking the industrial zone might be ok to the right of the city to make the triangle.

Attachments

• China Map.png
    China Map.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I went ahead and opened up the map a little more and settled on a alternate location. If I settle this spot i pinned out some district spots I thought might be good. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• China Map 2.png
    China Map 2.png
    10 MB · Views: 208
In the first one, I would not build a campus where you have the IZ marker. You will have to wait ages to claim it or spend early gold buying it. That tile might also be a good campus location for a second or third city. I would put the campus on the wooded hill due east. That has an instant 3 science and 4 (same as the other location) if you place another district beside it. I am very content with 3 adjacency, which gives 50% more science if you run the rationalism policy. High adjacency is nice early, (though there is an argument that you don't want to go through the tech/civic trees too fast and raise district costs), but +1 science (or gold etc) is not very significant in the later game. The problem with that wooded hill location is that it robs your capital of a 2F 2P location, so I wouldn't be too keen to build the campus there too early, until I'd improved or bought some other tiles.

Before placing it, chop the woods down, and you could put the resulting production towards building the pyramids on the desert tile. That's an excellent tile for early pyramids. The grassland tile 2 east of the capital is not going to be of any use, so that's a good spot for an encampment or entertainment complex. If the latter, you could build the colosseum on the tile east of the desert copper and a theatre square on the desert copper, which would place the theater sq between the pyramids and colosseum and so generate 4 culture. That would also complete a triangle of 3 districts giving each an adjacency bonus. I'd put a CH on any plains square next to the river and be content with 2G making sure it does not hamper building the farms I need. (That city has no squares with surplus food, so I would be keen to build a water mill, and at least a triangle of farms centred on the wheat so I can work those plains hills. Or have another pan using trade rotes or wonders/buildings to get enough food to work the hills and grow the city to at least 10).

For map 2, you do realise that the city centre is a district, so your planned IZ and CH will get a district adjacency bonus, without needing the theater square? Ideally I wouldn't put a district on that theater sq tile as it could potentially have a number of uses. If Auckland claims the wheat tile nearest to it, then you need the theater square tile to form a triangle of farms with the remaining wheat. Or you could build the Ruhr wonder on it (which is going to be good in a city with so many hills) or the Big Ben wonder. The theatre square could then go on the plains tile west of the silk for a 2 culture adjacency. You might also be able to build a dam on that tile and boost the IZ by +2P, but probably not as I think only 1 edge of that tile is river. The campus is in an almost perfect location. Placed on a virtually useless desert tile, with +5 science!

Although some districts don't benefit from adjacency themselves (dams, encampments, entertainment complexes), they can be useful in bestowing adjacency bonuses on others. If you had settled on the geothermal fissure, then I would have been very tempted to build an encampment on the copper hill next to the campus, adding +1 to the campus adjacency and claiming a good defensive spot. However, I might not do so, because I would be losing a hill and maybe it would be better near Auckland. I hope this gives an indication of some of the factors I consider.

Last edited:
Thanks linaker for the detailed response!

Good point about the campus being so far from the city on the first map. I was thinking that as well, but figured maybe in that case it might be a mid/late game district. I really like the idea about the pyramids and the bonuses to the Theater Square. I did know about the city center being considered a district, I just put it there thinking it would at least get the bonus from the other two districts. I am thinking on the second map you meant east of the silk? I went ahead and re-pinned both sites as I think you intended and uploaded them. The farm triangle on the second map seems very difficult to get with Auckland probably snagging the wheat tile.

I am curios as to which spot you would settle and if you would just try to settle the other as quick as possible. My gut tells me to settle the second map and try to get as much land to the east as near Auckland as possible, then settle the other location. That might put me behind for the wonders though especially the Pyramids. The difficulty is Emperor BTW.

I am embarrassed to say that in all the hours I have played CIV 6, I don't think I have ever chopped a single thing! I need to learn those mechanics including rollover production.

EDIT: On the first map, placing the theater square and removing the copper would really hurt the Campus adjacency wouldn't it?

Attachments

• New Map 2.png
    New Map 2.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 161
  • New Map.png
    New Map.png
    8.8 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
@your edit: The campus doesn't get any adjacency from copper or hills, so chop away. The adjacencies come from mountain (+1), fissure (+2), and adjacent districts (+1 for two).

@map1: I agree with campus placement but I don't see why you labeled it with "late". As soon as you have Mining researched, you can chop woods (maybe time it with building the Pyramids) and lay down that sweet campus. Regarding the rest: Collosseum needs flat land, so that plan is not working. Without Colosseum, there isn't much incentive for that Entertainment Complex left.
And personally I wouldn't plan something like a CH when I have so many equally good river spots available. All too often some horses or iron show up and then you have to re-plan anyhow. On the other hand I certainly DO plan for dams, because their placement is quite restricted.

@map2: If I counted correctly, this spot would mean settling T4 instead of T1. This would maybe be okay, if that spot was way better than the first spot, but in my opinion it is not, because the first spot is already good.
If this would have been your spawn, I'd maybe not force the farm triangle, but instead plan for a better IZ (with adjacent dam and/or aqueduct + Ruhr Valley). The campus spot in map 2 is of course deluxe and should build as soon as possible.

By the way, your images are gigantic. A bit smaller wouldn't hurt.

Yeah your are right, I keep mixing up the bonuses between the campus and IZ.

The idea behind getting the campus up a little later is to utilize the decent tile there before chopping. I was thinking maybe 3rd or so district. I didn’t realize that about the coliseum, I guess that changes things a bit.

I think map 2 would be 2 or 3 turns, as I start to the right of map 1. Maybe I’ll plan of map 2 as my second city.

Thanks again for the help.

For the the new map, if you really want to go for wonders, you could try something like the following: (1) campus where you have it; (2) spot NW of the campus can be reserved for Apadana or the Great Library; (3) spot currently with the theater square could be for Jebel Barkal; (4) Pyramids on the desert flood plains; (5) theater square where the commercial hub is currently placed; (6) entertainment complex/Colosseum to the north of the theater square; (7) probably need to keep the farm triangle unless you wanted to greed Hanging Gardens (I would probably keep the farms); (8) harbor two west of the city, which allows you to get Colossus (and Great Lighthouse if you really want to be greedy/have fun). This would you leave you with a +8 or +10 theater square.

With China, depending on neighbors/barbs/how quickly you have contested settles, I would be reasonably confident I could get all of those wonders on immortal.

Yes, you placed my suggestions right. I did mean east of the silk not west. I also forgot the colosseum had to be on flat land. I agree about placing the campus early. By the time you have researched writing, the city will hopefully have claimed a couple of other tiles, (or you will have improved some), so losing 2F 2P won't hurt too much. The production you gain in delaying might also be lost by the extra cost of the campus by the time you do place it.

Like Alanna T, I would definitely settle the city 1. It's going to be the 4th turn before settling 2, I think, and given the yield from the Palace, that's quite a loss. I would be keen to settle 2 as quickly as possible though, because it has some high yield tiles next to it and that juicy campus spot. Do you buy tiles? In city 1, I would be keen to place a farm on the wheat, boost irrigation and improve the dyes tile. (Buying it, if necessary. You may well be able to recoup the cost of that by selling the luxury). The faith will get you a pantheon, although that would be less of a priority if I had encountered a religious city state early on.

City states do not expand their borders that quickly, though the wheat tile could be first on Auckland's list of tiles to claim. If I had the gold, I would be tempted to buy that second wheat tile in city 2.

Chopping is less valuable in Gathering Storm, partly because its benefits have been reduced but also lumber mills are more valuable. It makes for interesting decisions. You could appoint Magnus as your first Governor, then chop the woods on the hill. If you are building the pyramids at the same time, have the Corvee policy in place and get an extra 15%. Or run the agoge policy and get an extra 50% towards a military unit or the colonization policy and get an extra 50% towards a settler. It would also be good to have Liang in place when the pyramids are built, so you get a free 5 charge builder. Harvesting the copper before placing a theatre square on it will also net you a decent amount of gold that will be lost otherwise. Chopping/harvesting is a subject in itself. Some people always harvest stone on hills (mines get you better production than quarries) and it can be useful to harvest sheep and cattle in cities with plenty of food, especially if you have reached a housing cap.

There isn't much point in an entertainment complex where I suggested. You could go with my other suggestion of an encampment there and build the Alhambra on the desert tile. However, playing China, you probably want to pick out the ancient/classical wonders you want. I would be tempted to build the Oracle, as your capital will probably end up a good Pingala city. If I did build the Oracle, my fourth district would be an IZ so the Oracle boosts my Engineer points. I'd place that NE of the CH (adding +1 adjacency) and then build a dam east of the CH. (Or leave that space free for a wonder and get another city to build the dam next to the IZ). Though, I agree you have to be flexible and be ready to change things around if strategic resources show up.

Top Bottom