need help keeping AI happy

Espírito

Civ Addict
how are you supposed to keep the AI happy?

I was playing the 5CC on Monarch, I usually play on Regent and can kill the computer's if they dont like me, but now its harder, especially with the 5CC :O

Im kind to the AI, accept trades I would normally try to get the last penny from, agree to RoP, trade maps, etc. but they still all decide to kill me, then when I'm beating them although cannot really kill as only 5 cities ..... noooo. 14/15 AI are furious with me and Korea is only Polite because I gave them Roman Workers, and we've had RoPs and Military Alliances, anyone help me here?

or shoudl I say sticks [color=600f0f]Yes, you had better say "sticks" --Padma[/color] - Rosevelt (I think) had a philosophy, walk softly but carry a big stick. This is important in Civ3. If you look like a weakling the AI will pick on you. The key is to build alot of units (even if they are all spearman or warriors). If you can hava military that is the same size you will not keep getting attack.

Secondly, don't try to make everybody happy, pick you friends. Ideally imagine what you want your civ to look like at the END of the game and those civs that will still be around - make friends. I suggest pick a neighbour about 2 doors down ( those civs in the middle will be overrun). Keep them happy with favorable Luxury deals for Luxury + tech, usally works well, after I make the deal I whore out the tech to everybody else (as the AI will trade it anyway).

I have (since Civ1) avoided Mutual Protection like the plague you never want to be drawn into a war you don't want. I use Miltary alliance ALOT, especially after that first civ has declared war on me - I will buy off anybody I can get to go to war with him. This accomplishes a couple of things 1) less units coming my way 2) better relations with the allied civs and 3) satifies to other civs desire to expand (ever notice how the world is usually quiet until there is not more settlable land left?).

Hope this helps.

thanks alot guys, I'll startr trawling through those 5 pages HEADACABBAGE ;)

Yeh, I know what ya mean Sentinali, but with the 5CC especially I fell behind on research and thus didnt really have anything to trade to the computer players.

I dont agree with Sentinali that -( those civs in the middle will be overrun).
If you make ally with the civ in the middle and you give them lots of gold and tech, they will defend themselves good if you play with monarch or regent.

Top Bottom