Need some help with civ3c

Aceman101

Emperor
I just got civ3c a week ago and I need some help with some of the features.

1. What does the sentry button do??? Is it like fortifying???

2. Now this one amazed me, When you go to the civilopedia and click on a unit like a destroyer, It says anti-air defence. Can naval units really shoot down planes???

3. What is the king unit? I went to the civilopedia and saw all these units that were king units. And it said you can only have them in short games.

4. When I installed civ 3 complete it said I have a version of conquest installed already and it recommends that I uninstall it. I didn't know what it was talking about because the only version of civilization that was on my computer was vanilla. So i continued installing and it worked perfectly. It didn't install in the same folder as vanilla civ 3. I don't think it needed vanilla civ 3. Because everyone said you need vanilla before you can install conquests. It was three CD's. It might have had vanilla on one conquest on the other and ptw on the other CD. Would this be why it didn't need vanilla??? If this was the case I would be able to install it any time without installing vanilla.

5. I installed the patch when I had civ 3 vanilla. Now that I have civ3c do I have to reinstall the patch for complete?

That's all that I can think of now. I might make a new list if more question come to mind.

Thank you :).

I just got civ3c a week ago and I need some help with some of the features.

1. What does the sentry button do??? Is it like fortifying???
Sorta. It puts the unit to sleep, and when a unit comes near it (Sentry) or an enemy comes near it (Sentry - Enemy Only) it wakes up.
2. Now this one amazed me, When you go to the civilopedia and click on a unit like a destroyer, It says anti-air defence. Can naval units really shoot down planes???
Yes indeedy. PITB when it's your planes being shot down.
3. What is the king unit? I went to the civilopedia and saw all these units that were king units. And it said you can only have them in short games.
That's not exactly accurate. I believe you can turn on the king unit (Select 'Regicide' from the game options menu) for any kind of game. Useful scouts when using 'Mass Regicide'. It's really intended for MP games, where if you loose your king unit, you lose the game.
4. When I installed civ 3 complete it said I have a version of conquest installed already and it recommends that I uninstall it. I didn't know what it was talking about because the only version of civilization that was on my computer was vanilla. So i continued installing and it worked perfectly. It didn't install in the same folder as vanilla civ 3. I don't think it needed vanilla civ 3. Because everyone said you need vanilla before you can install conquests. It was three CD's. It might have had vanilla on one conquest on the other and ptw on the other CD. Would this be why it didn't need vanilla??? If this was the case I would be able to install it any time without installing vanilla.
You didn't install Conquests, you installed Complete. That's why it told you to uninstall the previous versions. If it's working, leave it alone. But it might cause problems later on, so you'll want to uninstall Complete, then uninstall Vanilla, then reinstall Complete.
5. I installed the patch when I had civ 3 vanilla. Now that I have civ3c do I have to reinstall the patch for complete?
No, Complete comes fully patched.
That's all that I can think of now. I might make a new list if more question come to mind.

Thank you :).

We'll leave the light on for you. :)

FWIW, your .sav files are located at C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Saves.

You should be on v 1.22, that doesn't require a patch.

Sorta. It puts the unit to sleep, and when a unit comes near it (Sentry) or an enemy comes near it (Sentry - Enemy Only) it wakes up.

Ah yes. But it doesn't sound like it's necessary.

Yes indeedy. PITB when it's your planes being shot down.

Wow :eek:. That's cool. This is a lot better than vanilla!

That's not exactly accurate. I believe you can turn on the king unit (Select 'Regicide' from the game options menu) for any kind of game. Useful scouts when using 'Mass Regicide'. It's really intended for MP games, where if you loose your king unit, you lose the game.

Know I can remember it said regicide. Thanks:).

You didn't install Conquests, you installed Complete. That's why it told you to uninstall the previous versions. If it's working, leave it alone. But it might cause problems later on, so you'll want to uninstall Complete, then uninstall Vanilla, then reinstall Complete.

What would happen if I just uninstall vanilla? Will it cause problems?

No, Complete comes fully patched.

Ok.

We'll leave the light on for you. :)

Thank you, Turner :).

FWIW, your .sav files are located at C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Saves.

You should be on v 1.22, that doesn't require a patch.

Thanks, Delphi456 :).

1. Yes, except your unit will wake up if an enemy comes next to it.
3. Play a regicide game on January 8. :groucho:
4. Civ3Complete, AFAIK, has all three versions on it and didn't like your earlier Vanilla version.
5. I'm pretty sure Civ3Complete comes with the patches.

I have just thought of one more question...

6. What happens if a civ is plagued? I read in the civilopedia that there is such thing as plague. But it is different than disease (I think). Because disease comes when a city is built on or near marshed, floodplains or jungles. But is plague completely different than disease?

It's like disease in that you lose pop from it. But it can expand to other cities. I'm not sure if a unit going from one city to the next is the vector, or if simply a road is needed.

It's like disease in that you lose pop from it. But it can expand to other cities. I'm not sure if a unit going from one city to the next is the vector, or if simply a road is needed.

I'm pretty sure you just need a road or harbour connecting the city for it to spread.

Wow, I didn't realize that plague wasn't the same as disease & could spread. Good to know.

Well I thought they were different from each other because there are 2 civilopedia entries for them. Plague and disease. But it didn't excactly explain how plague spreads.

I'm pretty sure you just need a road or harbour connecting the city for it to spread.

:eek: That would be a problem if it starts.

I have thought of another question...

7.Do crusaders and ancient cavalry cost unit support when they are spawned each 5 turns?

No, I think you don't pay for the benefits of wonders. But this could be only for maintainance of the buildings spawned by wonders. :)

Well that's good :). I think a few hundred crusaders would add a good addition to my army.

But it's not so bad, either. Because that city is both producing units and doing other things, like building improvements or producing other units. So it works out in the end.

Well that's good :). I think a few hundred crusaders would add a good addition to my army.

Sorry, think again. Since these guys come at the same time as knights and cav, there 1 movement makes them rather useless, IMO. I built them once but quickly found that the battle was already over by the time they showed up. Never again.......

Crusaders are great for disbanding towards expensive marketplaces and unis.

Top Bottom