1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Need steam each time to play

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by freemen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. freemen

freemen God of the mechanics

Sorry if the thread have already been discuted, but I was in Ireland for the past 2 week. Just installed Civ 5, played a game, that crashed. Since I'm still in jet lag, woke up early and start a new game. But ask me to log on to steam. It is always like that ?

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

So basically you were in China when the Plague started, and now you returned to Europe. Yes, the Plague is still here :)

3. TM Moot

TM Moot King

So, can't answer yet, hopefully will find out later today...

If i can add to the Steam query, do i need to just create an account or do i need to download Steam as well?

4. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

Consider Steam as "Shodan" on the "Van Braun" or "Hall 2000" on the "Discovery" ship. A companion on your journey there to guide you along through deep, dark and uncharted space.

5. Dave_Oz

Dave_Oz Chieftain

Yes you have to log steam up each time you want to play, you either have to sign in each time, or choose offline mode EACH time you go to play.

It'll prompt you every time

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

There is an option to make it go offline everytime, I think.
    I'm not fully sure, but I stumbled upon it once. Something with creating a Steam.cfg (or something).

Maybe you can find it if you do a Google-search?

7. DarkTempla

DarkTempla Chieftain

So basically, I cannot play the game when I am abroad with my laptop and do not have an internet connection?

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Yes you can. You can just use the offline mode. A connection is only necessary for installation/activiation. and patches.
    I also don't have a proper connection on my laptop and always use the offline mode there.

9. Smuggo

Smuggo Chieftain

I'm kind of surprised so few people here have used Steam before.

It's basically a distribution and DRM platform, almost like a console-style system, for the PC.

Yes, you have to log into your Steam client but it should do all that when your PC starts up. However, if you have Steam in offline mode you can still play, it's only the initial auth that needs a net connection

10. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

I believe the term you are looking for is "attempt at computer game monopoly" , yes and I don't use Steam nor will I ever and it's why I mainly play older games on PC and open source games. :D

11. DarkTempla

DarkTempla Chieftain

THANKS! You just made my day ;)

12. Smuggo

Smuggo Chieftain

Fair enough but IMO Steam is one of the best things for PC gaming. Accessing my games in the cloud from anywhere in the world is pretty awesome.

13. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Steam has been very useful for me and while it is not perfect, it certainly is quite good enough. There's a lot of suspicion (not a surprise, this is the internet, being wary is a good thing), but sometimes it leads into superstition and paranoia, which isn't so good.