Need steam each time to play

freemen

God of the mechanics
Sorry if the thread have already been discuted, but I was in Ireland for the past 2 week. Just installed Civ 5, played a game, that crashed. Since I'm still in jet lag, woke up early and start a new game. But ask me to log on to steam. It is always like that ?

So, can't answer yet, hopefully will find out later today...

If i can add to the Steam query, do i need to just create an account or do i need to download Steam as well?

Consider Steam as "Shodan" on the "Van Braun" or "Hall 2000" on the "Discovery" ship. A companion on your journey there to guide you along through deep, dark and uncharted space.

Sorry if the thread have already been discuted, but I was in Ireland for the past 2 week. Just installed Civ 5, played a game, that crashed. Since I'm still in jet lag, woke up early and start a new game. But ask me to log on to steam. It is always like that ?

Yes you have to log steam up each time you want to play, you either have to sign in each time, or choose offline mode EACH time you go to play.

It'll prompt you every time

Yes you have to log steam up each time you want to play, you either have to sign in each time, or choose offline mode EACH time you go to play.

It'll prompt you every time
There is an option to make it go offline everytime, I think.
I'm not fully sure, but I stumbled upon it once. Something with creating a Steam.cfg (or something).

Maybe you can find it if you do a Google-search?

So basically, I cannot play the game when I am abroad with my laptop and do not have an internet connection?

So basically, I cannot play the game when I am abroad with my laptop and do not have an internet connection?
Yes you can. You can just use the offline mode. A connection is only necessary for installation/activiation. and patches.
I also don't have a proper connection on my laptop and always use the offline mode there.

I'm kind of surprised so few people here have used Steam before.

It's basically a distribution and DRM platform, almost like a console-style system, for the PC.

Yes, you have to log into your Steam client but it should do all that when your PC starts up. However, if you have Steam in offline mode you can still play, it's only the initial auth that needs a net connection

I'm kind of surprised so few people here have used Steam before.

It's basically a distribution and DRM platform, almost like a console-style system, for the PC.

Yes, you have to log into your Steam client but it should do all that when your PC starts up. However, if you have Steam in offline mode you can still play, it's only the initial auth that needs a net connection

I believe the term you are looking for is "attempt at computer game monopoly" , yes and I don't use Steam nor will I ever and it's why I mainly play older games on PC and open source games. :D

Yes you can. You can just use the offline mode. A connection is only necessary for installation/activiation. and patches.
I also don't have a proper connection on my laptop and always use the offline mode there.

THANKS! You just made my day ;)

I believe the term you are looking for is "attempt at computer game monopoly" , yes and I don't use Steam nor will I ever and it's why I mainly play older games on PC and open source games. :D

Fair enough but IMO Steam is one of the best things for PC gaming. Accessing my games in the cloud from anywhere in the world is pretty awesome.

Steam has been very useful for me and while it is not perfect, it certainly is quite good enough. There's a lot of suspicion (not a surprise, this is the internet, being wary is a good thing), but sometimes it leads into superstition and paranoia, which isn't so good.

Top Bottom