negotiation

algonacy

Chieftain
This is my third map/game and while still early in the game I had a Military alliance with one civ (French) and a ROP with another (Zulu). Well, the French with the MA declared war on the Zulu's. Thus I had to declare on them also. From then on (going on 1000's of years now) no one will make a ROP with me unless I pay them loads. My neighbors keep saying they remember my treatment of the Zulu's and they can't trust me. And it's all because I had to declare war on a civ that I had a ROP with. I know that's bad, but can't they see that I didn't have a choice? With the Military Alliance it's not like I have a choice to declare war. The computer does it for me.

Question: Why does the AI have to have such a long memory? I've changed government style two times since then.

Through my conquests I have created a line of territory going from one side of my continent to the other. Almost exactly in the middle. Two civ's on each side (huge map, 16 civs, 2 large continents). Now you would think it would be in the better interests of the all civs to have a ROP with me. But no, they just can't get past that age old problem. Both of the civs on my north decided to wage war against the larger civ on my south. Every single turn I have asked for a ROP +25 gold per turn (from them to me) and get continually refused. Every turn I tell them to get off my land or go to war. Every turn they move back to their side. I am about equal strength as the two of them put together and so they won't risk war. So I decided to declare war on the southern civ and I am now taking all the cities they wanted to take for themselves. Because of their stubbornness they are losing out big time. Do they learn though? No, they just continue being stubborn.

Just to test their stubbornness I have even tried to offer a ROP even up and they still refuse. How stupid is that on their part? Anyway, I guess they just can't trust me (which is smart on their part because they can't :D )

Maybe I did something else to the Zulu's early in the game and wasn't aware that I was abusing some privilege. Anyway, has anyone ever gotten the other Civ's to forgive them for some early transgression they may have done?

Originally posted by algonacy
Every single turn I have asked for a ROP +25 gold per turn (from them to me) and get continually refused.

Maybe they can't afford it.

thanks for the suggestions. That pretty much confirms what I already thought. Cool game! Just started a month ago and at least 2 nights pre week for the last 4 I have found myself looking at the clock at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning going, "F**K! Where did the time go?"

I've found a new addiction.

Top Bottom