New Civics Screen

That all sounds most intrigueing :D

Labour could be immigration (Workforce)
Legal could be culture (authority/control)

You could go there actually. The Civics can be examined and multiple Yields could be associated with them. I attempted to make some adjustments on this giving each Civic at least 2 Upkeep Yields, the question is just how much Upkeep to charge. This will determine how much of your workforce you have to dedicate to Upkeep. The smallest value a worker can make is generally 3, so if Monarchy cost 6 Admin, you would need two laymen workers or 1 expert to cover the Upkeep cost. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

I am overhauling the Civic Screen also. I need to display the cost of a each Civic Choice as well as show the Current costs, plus any additional costs from the Change. Deficits will be marked in Red so the player will know what issues he has to fix before he changes Civics.

There could also be some kind of system in place that auto adjust Net Yield values if you would change to that Civic. Like if the Civic gives a 50% bonus to Culture, it will give a projected calculation of what the bonus will be. This however would be a pretty big task for me so I will hold off on that for now.

I've made the Civic Screen FullScreen to fit in all this extra info. At some point we will probably need to make it a scroll panel so we can add more Civic Choices.

Labour could be immigration (Workforce)
How can immigration be upkeep? Sacrificing immigrants to the devil? :devil:

Jokes aside, it would make sense to give labour +2 units at the dock or something like that. The current DLL code can handle that just fine and it also figures out how to remove the slots if you change away from the civic.

EDIT: I just had an idea. Labour tend to be favoring the working class, at least in a more modern term. What if the likelihood of low educational level increase and high level decrease when you have labour. We could add a bonus to immigration meaning you would get more, but they will be field workers and some brewers and similar and very few high level workers. I'm not sure how realistic it is for medieval times, but the concept of letting civics modify what educational level units immigrates could be interesting. It would require a DLL change though and that might not be clever in the middle of my civic cleanup.

It's just goat's blood officer!

Well, it depends on whether the produced upkeep is consumed or just 'needed'

But to advance your labour needs and abilities you have to have an attractive environment for incoming labour and have an economy geared up for attracting new people.

Yeah I think one of the civics already has a dock increase.. I forget which one.

For the civic screen, you should look at the Platy UI(Or the other mods that do the same) where civics are down the side of the screen and you have two BIG wide columns that display your current active civic, and the civic you have chosen side by side for comparison, it also has a scroll bar for the civic list, so you can just keep adding new choices and new sections.

But the combo yields would be cool to use for civic up keep as they represent a variety of the economy, so you can get the amount from one production, or a combo of the set of yields for that combo yield.

So immigration has elements of religion/education/fealty (or whatever it is) Which represents a 'wider', healthier empire with the time and 'freedom' needed to administer your will and evolve society, rather than just getting food for your tummy or wood for your fire.

For the civic screen, you should look at the Platy UI(Or the other mods that do the same) where civics are down the side of the screen and you have two BIG wide columns that display your current active civic, and the civic you have chosen side by side for comparison, it also has a scroll bar for the civic list, so you can just keep adding new choices and new sections.

But the combo yields would be cool to use for civic up keep as they represent a variety of the economy, so you can get the amount from one production, or a combo of the set of yields for that combo yield.

So immigration has elements of religion/education/fealty (or whatever it is) Which represents a 'wider', healthier empire with the time and 'freedom' needed to administer your will and evolve society, rather than just getting food for your tummy or wood for your fire.

The only thing I don't like about it is it being called "Immigration", like we would be saying we need 15 Immigration for this Civic and that seems odd to me, so perhaps we could call it something else along the lines of Prosperity or something. Like in vanilla Crosses produces Immigration so the only factor influencing peoples desire to settle in your Realm was Religion, but in M:C we are using combined Yields to Produce a combined Factor. Currently we have two and they are..

Religion, Admin, and Education = Immigration
Culture, Religion, and Education = Culture

So, perhaps Religion, Admin, and Education = Prosperity (or what ever) and this influences your Immigration, where Immigration isn't actually a Yield but more just a term.

So, I am thinking that at some point the Culture Yield should be renamed/tooled to something else more fitting like Law. Where Culture becomes a product of several factors which is what it is as a Civs Beliefs, Customs, Values, and such make up their Culture. Renaming Culture to Law would be beneficial to Civics Upkeeps as well, as Law would be fitting for multiple Civics and we wouldn't be loosing Culture, it would just remain the Combined Factor.

Do you have a link to the Platy UI for Civics?

Renaming the culture yield to law seems fair, it would really jsut be a cosmetic reshuffle, but would fit the theme nicely. It was always funny that culture + something = culture, it's like culture from concentrate, just add water!

The Immigration rename is 'slightly' more questionable, simply because what it does is cause immigration, (and may be needed for certain civics.) it just depends if we want people to learn that prosperity = free immigrants.

I don't think it is that big of a deal, as it is the same basic system as from col. so if you know to look at the immigration screen, it will show a bar of prosperity and problem solved.

This is a link to the Platy UI, unfortunately it is all one shabang, so you would have to find the part that affects the civic screen, I can't remember if it is one file or several, and I is generally not smart enough to isolate the one screen.
Platy UI
You can see the screenshot of it down the post.

But I imagine it would be easier to extrat it from PUI than code from scratch. It works well too, particularly for 'bigger' civic concepts, it is a much better use of space.

Renaming the culture yield to law seems fair, it would really jsut be a cosmetic reshuffle, but would fit the theme nicely. It was always funny that culture + something = culture, it's like culture from concentrate, just add water!p

Right, it just doesn't add up:)

The Immigration rename is 'slightly' more questionable, simply because what it does is cause immigration, (and may be needed for certain civics.) it just depends if we want people to learn that prosperity = free immigrants.

I don't think it is that big of a deal, as it is the same basic system as from col. so if you know to look at the immigration screen, it will show a bar of prosperity and problem solved.

The Immigration Screen and all that will remain the same, only when you look at Civics, and Production Icons would there be a Different name. Think Crosses = Immigration(Vanilla), Prosperity = Immigration (M:C). Just like now when you hover over the "Immigration Icon" in Cities you get the Prosperity Help Text.

Each advisor screen is more or less 99% standalone file by itself, in this case CvCivicsScreen
1) It is linked to PlatyOptions to display background based on era/civ as well as standard/transparent panels.
2) It makes use of python widgets where hover texts are defined in CvGameUtils.

Time to wipe the dust off this old thread, it was buried a page back. I've been testing out the latest Trader AI build and I can see lots of potential it what we have created so far. With Civic Upkeep the way it is setup it makes it so you have to work at building up town infrastructure rather than spawning new cities. For example: In order to maintain Manorialism you have to be producing 3 Fealty each turn, which means one of your Citizens must be assigned this task. In my latest game I've been exploring, hunting, and searching for a good spot to start a port city and haven't been paying much attention to research and such so I've got behind a bit. I was wanting to switch to Serfdom because the benefits of Serfs greatly increases your ability to build up your towns fast. However, I will need to be producing 12 Fealty and 9 Law in order to support those two Civics. At the moment I have no way to produce Law as I am behind in Tech and can build no buildings, I will first have to research Alphabet (No one will trade me Alphabet the swines) and then Code of Laws which gives Manor Court.

So, I am wondering if the Manor Court should become available at Manorialism or if I am just slow. Balancing issues like this is what we need to work out. I feel like if we can balance out what we already have we'd have a pretty darn fun mod. We've already added some really unique and fun bonuses to each Civics and I feel by keeping each Civic unique and powerful for its purpose it will really keep players occupied as they build up their infrastructure in order to support their Civics.

I find the civic upkeep to be somewhat broken as it scales poorly. At some point we should consider how to set it up correctly. The actual upkeep should likely contain inputs like population, number of cities and number of plots. If we make it even more interesting, the upkeep is calculated for each city in CvCity::doTurn, taking into account distance to capital, plotgroup with capital, 100% ownership of plots etc. We can add concepts like crime and corruption to modify as well.

What we need is something, which is fairly cheap early on, but becomes expensive as time passes and you can afford more. Right now we have something, which is expensive early on, but becomes cheap as time passes.

Moving this here to keep with topic. Yes, I agree and there has been no scaling code put in place, but all in due time. While playing earlier I thought about having a number of cities modifier which would also help to force players to work at building up their cities instead of sprawling out. The modifiers can easily be added now that the main system is in place to display, record, restrict, and punish players in their Civic choices. And Punish as in if you make some bad Civic choices and can not afford the upkeep you face Anarchy, losing your Civics, and the money you invested in them.

All the other modifiers you mentioned would be interesting to have, with the main ones being number of cities and population. There is just tons of balancing to do atm, but we have some really cool systems in place.

I agree that I think civics are in a really good jumping off point and were a great first step on the road to empire upkeep.

The first time I played with civic upkeep I instantly found myself focussing much more on the 'virtual' yields to reach upkeep goals, etc.

This led me to feeling like my cities and empire were much more 'real' and balanced, suddenly I was administering my empire, rather than just churning out yield X to make as much gold as possible.

Top Bottom