New Civilizations

Based on the various scenarios from Civ 4, I'd suggest Persians, Greeks and (possibly) the Carthaginians are probably good for a shout.

Just an idea... I would love if it turns more "city based" then nation based. For example all ex european nations become "phoenician" now, one player is from Byblos, the next from Sidon, another one from Tyros. Got the idea? This way becoming independent from home port makes more sense, I think.

Started on a new civ, next add on will be:

Ptolemy Colonies (colonies) - Ptolemy Kingdom (europe) :egypt:

Also i would recommend you (ekmek) to rename Hannibal to Hamilcar, as Hannibal never conquered any territories for Carthage (even if he was pretty close), while his Father, Hamilcar, conquered almost all the carthaginian terretories in spain

P.S. UpdatedRoman Civ will be uploded this weekend (this will include text)

Phoenica, Greeks, Romans, Egypt and perhaps Persia would be good civs.

And the tribes could be Berbers, Illyrians, Thrace, Etruscs, Gaul and Germans...

Hi, i'm new here. I have research material for the age of the Phoenicians, Greeks and Etruscans, and their various little empires around the med sea.. this scenario is a mod that i have been interested in for a good while. My thinking on this mod (sorry to but in) but like having the Levant/Greek area as the main base area.. east of what is now Italy and Greece.. I dont know how far you are with the map, but my idea was to have a west med-sea area, and the conflicts between the various ethnics.. but that's just my idea, like Tunisia was the main base for the Cathage tribe, the Greeks were keen on southern Italy etc.. (if i can be any help.. i am keen, not up to speed with the modding, but keen on the map-work).

i got this map from world-wind a nasa site..

I haven't been able to do so much the last time, so i haven't yet finished the text for the Roman LH's, and the Egypt civ is still under construction, but i will finish them when the time allow's it.

Last edited:
I think the various Greek city states could even be separated - for example, having Athens and Sparta and Thebes. I think something similar to this was already stated above, but the thing is especially for Ancient Greece, it's famous for having competing city states.

HERE'S THE EGYPTIANS:

There is till missing buttons for the main and europe civs and for one of the LH's. At the time i use roman buttons instead. To install, just put the egypt folder inside the main egypt folder in the LH folder and replace the old XML files with the new ones. Then everything shold work. (the flag files are in the same folder as the LH's)

After using Gimp i got used to it being so easy that i forgot the alpachannel on the flag, so here is the flags, with alpachannel. Thumbnail of the flags down below. King got the big ship and colonies the small. (even if the 7z says Rome, it isn't the roman flags that are inside).

There's also this glith where i forgot to change ART_DEF_LEADER_MARCUS (Roman King) to ART_DEF_LEADER_PTOLEMY (Egyptian King). If you think the name is too long for Ptolemy, rename him Ptolemy Dynasty Pharao or Ptolemaian Pharao or something like that.

Just an idea... I would love if it turns more "city based" then nation based. For example all ex european nations become "phoenician" now, one player is from Byblos, the next from Sidon, another one from Tyros. Got the idea? This way becoming independent from home port makes more sense, I think.

I like this idea. It would reconcile historical accuracy with the Colonization set-up: a handful of independent sea-faring states spreading across a 'virgin' world of non-sea-faring, non-port-planting non-competitors.

The Mediterranean's later sea-faring colonists (greeks, romans) colonized a Mediterranean already filled with ports and sea-faring competitors, so it doesn't fit so well with the Colonization set-up.

If excluding favorite civs like the Greeks and Romans would be too unpopular, I guess a mix of major colonizer city-states would be nice too – e.g. Rome, Tyre, Eretria, Corinth, Miletus (ignoring mismatching timelines in the same way that the European powers arrive unhistorically at the New World at the same time). Maybe major city-states which didn't go in for colonizing (such as Athens) could be represented by a special class of super-powerful native cities.

I don't think Egypt or Persia should be civs. They were land-based empires and the whole exploration/colonizing/long-distance trade focus just doesn't fit with them. Their expansion was about establishing tributes and vassals, not colonization, and those things just aren't represented in Colonization. I think Egypt should be a very advanced native tribe and Persia should probably be ignored entirely (a native tribe wouldn't do justice to it's historical actions as aggressor of the Phoenician and Greek city-states). Maybe Persia's presence could be represented by random events (e.g. your home city is paying a hefty tribute to Persia, so demand for luxury goods has fallen since people are poorer).

Top Bottom