[NFP] New Heroes

I mentioned Brynhild and Aoife in the other thread so might as well add them here. I think Don Quixote would be another fun one. Daedalus could be fun as a Science/Engineer type hero.

I'm curious; any particular reason to go for Aoife/Alfe? From what I can see of her, her story seems fairly undevelopped, especially compared to her sister Scathach.

I'm curious; any particular reason to go for Aoife/Alfe? From what I can see of her, her story seems fairly undevelopped, especially compared to her sister Scathach.
No particular reason, and Scáthach probably is a better choice overall. Medb could be another, though she wasn't a warrior.

I second, or third, Robin Hood. Surprised he didn't make the cut already but I guess between him and King Arthur it makes sense.
Of course he should have 3 range and the ability to steal gold from the richest player and distribute it to the others. :mischief:

John Henry would be cool too if railroads were useful.

I definitely second Davy Crockett as a new hero, and third (fourth?) Robin Hood.

I'd personally love to see some more Native American folk heroes, my two favorite ones being Ekeuhnick (Inupiat folk-figure) and Ayas/Ayashe (Cree folk-hero)

FYI, Johnny Appleseed was a real person, too (his real name was John Chapman). He’d still be an interesting “peaceful” choice, though.
Himiko was also a real person, and yet, she's in the update.

Speaking of real people who become deified, I would suggest the addition of Imhotep who can rush-build an ancient-era wonder and provide many hammers for later wonders, especially given the lack of other notable folk heroes from ancient Egypt.

Last edited:
Speaking of real people who become deified, I would suggest the addition of Imhotep who can rush-build an ancient-era wonder and provide many hammers for later wonders, especially given the lack of other notable folk heroes from ancient Egypt.
He's already confirmed to be one of the new Great People as a Great Engineer.

Sinbad has been confirmed in the Babylon Livestream!! :)

The calf boy and the tiger cub boy (both of whom were later transformed into humans) from a Thai story by poet Phra Maha Raja-Kru (พระมหาราชครู) could be added as heroes in a future edition of Civ.

Here's a link to the Thai Wikipedia for that story: เสือโคคำฉันท์

Unfortunately, there's no widely available English translation, despite it being in the public domain.

Here's the full text of that story: https://th.wikisource.org/wiki/เสือโคคำฉันท์ (again, only in Thai)

Disney does not own exclusive rights to Aladdin, given that he's in the public domain, so I'm suggesting Aladdin, just like how Disney does not own exclusive rights to Hercules (and Hercules is already in Civ VI).

Aladdin has three charges (to reflect the three wishes from the genie). If he's on a commercial hub, he generates gold. If he's on a campus, he generates science. If he's on a holy site, he generates faith. If he's on an industrial zone, he generates production. If he's on a neighbourhood, he generates population. If he's on a diplomatic quarter, he generates diplomatic favour. If he's on an encampment, he generates a random military unit that can be built and is appropriate for the era. And so on and so forth.

Aladdin isn't problematic because of Disney. Aladdin is problematic because he's the poster boy for some the most eggregious excess of orientalism and exoticism across western literature. He doesn't have a culture or a nationality; he's just a character from "Somewhere in the mysterious east" (China, or increasingly Arabia), but wherever he comes from, his homeland is a mix of clichés about the strange ways of the East.

And he's not even a significant chararacter in Middle Eastern legends - as in as far as I think we know, the first written version of Aladdin's story was actually written in the very Eastern country of...France. By a French writer. Based on oral stories told by a Lebanese Christian monk, true but still - the fact that we don't have any Middle Eastern written source for the story before the French tells us how culturally relevant he was in the region (hint: not much). In the same light, most of our modern image of Aladdin is a mix of that French version of the story, English pantomine, and, of course, Disney. And I, for one, would rather not have a Middle Eastern hero who largely comes from Anglo-French sources.

There'S a long list of Middle Eastern heroes who deserve to get in ahead of Aladdin (starting with, if we want the 1001 nights, Scheherazade herself).

Aladdin isn't problematic because of Disney. Aladdin is problematic because he's the poster boy for some the most eggregious excess of orientalism and exoticism across western literature. He doesn't have a culture or a nationality; he's just a character from "Somewhere in the mysterious east" (China, or increasingly Arabia), but wherever he comes from, his homeland is a mix of clichés about the strange ways of the East.

And he's not even a significant chararacter in Middle Eastern legends - as in as far as I think we know, the first written version of Aladdin's story was actually written in the very Eastern country of...France. By a French writer. Based on oral stories told by a Lebanese Christian monk, true but still - the fact that we don't have any Middle Eastern written source for the story before the French tells us how culturally relevant he was in the region (hint: not much). In the same light, most of our modern image of Aladdin is a mix of that French version of the story, English pantomine, and, of course, Disney. And I, for one, would rather not have a Middle Eastern hero who largely comes from Anglo-French sources.

There'S a long list of Middle Eastern heroes who deserve to get in ahead of Aladdin (starting with, if we want the 1001 nights, Scheherazade herself).
Thanks so much for clarifying about Aladdin.

The calf boy and the tiger cub boy (both of whom were later transformed into humans) from a Thai story by poet Phra Maha Raja-Kru (พระมหาราชครู) could be added as heroes in a future edition of Civ.

Here's a link to the Thai Wikipedia for that story: เสือโคคำฉันท์

Unfortunately, there's no widely available English translation, despite it being in the public domain.

Here's the full text of that story: https://th.wikisource.org/wiki/เสือโคคำฉันท์ (again, only in Thai)

Interesting, I know that story about a tiger cub and calf boy become humans. For Thai heroes, I think Khun Paen from Khun Chang Khun Paen is a better Thai candidate for new hero to be added into a game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khun_Chang_Khun_Phaen

For other SE Asian heroes like Malay hero named Merong Mahawangsa can be good idea to be new hero. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merong_Mahawangsa

I'm seeing a lot of heroes that didn't really do any fightin'. While I like Johnny Appleseed and John Henry as much as the next guy, I believe the emphasis was placed on butt-kicking, high adventure heroes from antiquity.

While I do like who we have in the mode currently, I do think 12 is too few (I had hoped for at least 20.) So here are my contributions to the list, along with how they'd move/fight:
  • Finn MacCool - Spearman
  • David - Slinger (unless he leads Israel one day (fingers crossed), in which case, Samson - Warrior/Hercules)
  • Enkidu - Warrior
  • Susano-o - Samurai (obviously)
  • Sundiata Keita - Archer (although I do like the sound of Robin Hood as well.)
  • Odysseus (or Aeneas, if things get too Greek-heavy)- Quadrireme (I was so pleasantly surprised at Sinbad, by the way!) ^^
  • Anwe - Okitchitaw (Learned about him from Extra Mythology's Windigo story! Definitely give it a listen.)
  • Lagertha - Swordsman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha)
William Tell would be a cool crossbowman, but he didn't exactly do any fighting in his story, either. XD
Regardless, I hope they do give us more heroes in the future! They're a fun mechanic.

For an ancient Middle Eastern hero, I'd propose Danel. The lack of characters from the Shahnameh is also disappointing; Rostam would be nice.

Top Bottom