New map: Venus

Richard Bartle

Chieftain
This is a 160x160 Civ3 map of Venus, based on radar scans of that planet's surface. It works best with 8-16 civs.

I put sea level at the median height, which means that roughly 50% of the map is sea and 50% is land. This in turn means that there is more land available than for a normal map of this size, so I increased the optimal number of cities such that you can create big empires without suffering from crippling corruption. This is the only rule change.

Terrain and resources follow Earth standards, although this could never be considered truly "realistic" (coal and oil deposits would be hard to explain even on a terraformed Venus).

Have fun!

Richard

Attachments

• venus.zip
    87.1 KB · Views: 456
This is an interesting map. I especially like the shape of the land masses. The one problem I see with this map is that it has too many resources. You should cut the resources in half.

I also noticed that in many places you have two of the same strategic resource right next to each other, or two or three of the same resource clustered very closely together. This is something that you never see in a random civ game. For a standard map, strategic resources should be placed singlely and spread wide apart so the civs have a reason to spread out.

Other than cutting down the number of resources, this is a nice map.

Ed O'War>I especially like the shape of the land masses.

This is one of the things that attracted me to design a map for Venus - I liked the unusual way it looks.

>The one problem I see with this map is that it has too many resources. You should cut the resources in half.

In my playtests, I found that resources weren't much of a problem when there were only 8 civs, but when it got to 16 they did bite quite a bit. I do agree that there are more here than you'd necessarily get on a random map, though. Over-resourcing is a common complaint about player-created maps, so I was conscious of the need not to over-do it. That doesn't mean I succeeded, of course!

>I also noticed that in many places you have two of the same strategic resource right next to each other, or two or three of the same resource clustered very closely together. This is something that you never see in a random civ game.

You see it for luxuries, yes, but not for strategic resources.

>For a standard map, strategic resources should be placed singlely and spread wide apart so the civs have a reason to spread out.

There are reasons other than resources to spread out, of course. I clumped them together so as to give people more opportunities to trade, although I confess did like the look of it, too <grin>.

>Other than cutting down the number of resources, this is a nice map.

Thanks!

Richard

Top Bottom