New Open Dev out now! :D

anyone has reached industrial era? I've always stuck at early modern era
If you want to try it, there are some instructions in the games2gether forum by people that finished the tech tree by turn 11x or got to 9000 science/turn.

Units must be able to be extracted from “newly peaceful” territory after a war. (suggestion: “Trespassing” units should be allowed to move through enemy territory ...still taking damage though)

Can anyone help me I've just won a war and can demand regions but I'm not familar with the names in the diplomacy. Where can I see the names of the regions? The only named places I can see are the cities I dont know what regions I'm asking for as I cant see the names anywhere.

It's most likely either a bug, or a UI element that's missing and they need to add it.

It is only 4 eras. But science cultures can access techs one era ahead of everyone else.

It's most likely either a bug, or a UI element that's missing and they need to add it.

I suspect it is something they still have to add, like a Mini-Map, because it makes Diplomatic offers a real pan to reply to. I think your Outposts before they become cities are named after their region, but that's the only place I've readily found a list of 'territory titles'.

It is only 4 eras. But science cultures can access techs one era ahead of everyone else.

Assuming that all Ages have 3 'tiers' of Techs each, like the first four Ages do, the Tech Tree in the Open Dev shows all the Industrial Age techs, but we still haven't seen the Modern Age yet. I'm working now to cull all the techs and possible units/infrastructures from all the revealed Technologies into a separate file for study.
Oe thing that already leaps out is that the Industrial Age has two different 'melee' Units: Musketeers and Line Infantry, and two different Industrial Naval units: Steam Frigates and Ironclads: a far cry from Civ VI's original One Unit Every Other Era design!

Ok weird question, I played the opendev and I really enjoyed but did anyone else noticed that the AI kind of goes suicidal into your units when you are at war with them? Like I had this where I was fighting the Celts as the Romans. After some time I destroyed his army but he was still building units and eventually went with his one gasteathe (the Celts Emblamantic unit which name I can't spell) into my army of 9 units.... Obviously it would die every time but then their wardesire died pretty quickly because they lost 8 war desire for every battle they lost from me.....

I noticed, in fact, a couple of instances of the AI being very shrewd in its use of units:

First instance, a single Scout confronted my army, retreated before combat - which froze my army in place for a turn. Then a second Scout came up and did the same thing the following turn, which froze my army again. It was not until I divided my army into two groups of 2 units each that I was able to advance, so the AI knows how to use 'Delaying Tactics' pretty shrewdly.

Second Instance, I was besieging a city, and every 2 - 3 turns the city would pop out a single unit, which then attacked my besieging army and got destroyed. BUT that battle would stop the siege for a turn, so, again, the AI was sacrificing single units to delay until his main army arrived to break the siege for good.

I noticed, in fact, a couple of instances of the AI being very shrewd in its use of units:

First instance, a single Scout confronted my army, retreated before combat - which froze my army in place for a turn. Then a second Scout came up and did the same thing the following turn, which froze my army again. It was not until I divided my army into two groups of 2 units each that I was able to advance, so the AI knows how to use 'Delaying Tactics' pretty shrewdly.

Second Instance, I was besieging a city, and every 2 - 3 turns the city would pop out a single unit, which then attacked my besieging army and got destroyed. BUT that battle would stop the siege for a turn, so, again, the AI was sacrificing single units to delay until his main army arrived to break the siege for good.

Why could I never see it that way, too bad they had no more units on my part. Well I was about to besiege their only city and they could stall for like 8 turns, thanks for explaining.

By the way, only expensionists can buy out outposts right? Or does anyone else know what oppressed means in game? Like the harrapans in my game oppressed my outpost converting in their territory or did I miss something in their desription?

I finished my first playthrough. (Won my first game of HUMANKIND).

No bugs encountered.
My biggest gripe then is why Amplitude didn't ship it? Come August many people like me may not have much time to play. But in a pandemic, this is really the time they should've released it.

I hope Amplitude/SEGA change their minds and allow at least those of us who pre-ordered to play an early pre-release ? A wider scope OpenDev perhaps? IDK

@8housesofelixir: I get that. I think one of the problems with Beyond Earth was the random people that nobody cared about leading each faction. The problem is even worse when you constantly change "cultures". But... Twitch players? Ew. No thanks. I don't want them anywhere near my game. It's gross.

Yes! You read my mind. As soon as I started playing OpenDev, I was like, why does this game remind me of Beyond Earth? All the characters are so generic and bland with no clear identity.

The one small change they made which I actually do appreciate is that everyone now has the same persistent icon and color at least. So at least I'm the horse dude, and that's the bear lady, and the tower person...

One thing they are doing is giving each AI leader a "reputation" and various personality traits. I like the "reputation" idea and that COULD help give them distinct identities. But I think 3 personality traits is too many - there should just be one in terms of crafting an identity. When you have so many, they blur together and it's too hard to keep track of to care. Less is more in this case.

But with the non-distinct AI leaders plus horrible gray maps and unclear borders where I have zoom out and in constantly to figure where I am, plus my old person eyes that can't distinguish between all the busyness that is happening on the map, I'm really disappointed so far. Civ has its problems, but visual clarity on the map is A+.

And why or why are they still using the same kind of operatic Amplitude music from the Endless series? I get it, it's their brand now... The whole game just feels very serious.

This may be amplitude blasphemy, but can they create some kind of "diminishing returns" system so that the more you pile into a FIDS the less impact it has? IT just seem s wild that you can get so much of a FIDS so quickly if you put your mind to it.

I don't get the comments about non-distinct AI leaders. They look different on the diplomacy screen. They behave differently based on their characteristics. Their units and empire-borders are clearly distinguishable on the map: dotted colourful lines for Outposts, solid colourful lines for Cities, and when you pull back, the entire territory gets washed with the empire's colour. I'm not sure if this is just a newness thing, or if I'm missing something, but I can always see where I am vis-a-vis my borders, the lands of Independent People, lands that are available to be claimed, disputed (Outpost) regions, etc.

This may be amplitude blasphemy, but can they create some kind of "diminishing returns" system so that the more you pile into a FIDS the less impact it has? IT just seem s wild that you can get so much of a FIDS so quickly if you put your mind to it.

Right now, the biggest problems I see in the game are those of Balance between the Era progression and the various 'currencies' (FIDS) in the game. Given that I and others have had problems keeping the Science progression up with the Era progression while other (far more expert than I) gamers have posted shots where they got all the Techs available before the end of the game, there is obviously a wild variation in possibilities which makes balance issues that much harder to address: do you balance for the Expert or the Average player? Do you allow massive increases in a single currency (like Science or Gold) by concentrating everything on them, or have a more reasonable over-all progression be all that is allowed? I don't envy the designers working on this problem, but it has to be solved or at least made sensible (right now, your best 'Science' progression comes from Religion, which is, to say the least, Counter-Intuitive) to the gamer.

And as for the look of the game, I am well past my "Three score and ten" in years, have been wearing glasses for almost three-quarters of a century (you know, since glasses were actually made out of glass) and had cataract surgery last year, but have no problems seeing every distinction I have to make on the map. The biggest graphic information on-map problems I can see is that there is no Mini-Map, no easy way to see what Regions are being referred to in Diplomacy and other transactions, and no quick way to 'automatically' send units to a given point - no way to set 'assembly points' for armies, for instance. Those would be highest on my 'desired tweaks' to the information displays.

I like the leaders, I'm curious to see how in depth the actual leader creator is but the most important thing for me is its not a resource intensive thing like Civ's lavish leaders which look very nice but are a major bottleneck for getting civs into the game. If you play as the leader you will never see them and when you play against they just pop up occasionaly to say something silly and you just try to skip through them, not really worth all the time and energy they must take to make IMO.

Total War Three Kingdoms and Soren Johnsons Old World just use static images for characters and I think they look great and feel much less intrusive. I think custom characters for Humankind will work well especially as they were suggesting they act as a form of progression between games possibly letting you unlock things for them.

(right now, your best 'Science' progression comes from Religion, which is, to say the least, Counter-Intuitive)

Yes, especially since in the values slider they are completely opposed.

My biggest gripe then is why Amplitude didn't ship it? Come August many people like me may not have much time to play. But in a pandemic, this is really the time they should've released it.

I hope Amplitude/SEGA change their minds and allow at least those of us who pre-ordered to play an early pre-release ? A wider scope OpenDev perhaps? IDK

As you can see from other people's feedback, there are still many balance problems, and other bugs that other players experienced. For me, for example I encountered a bug in which my army is stuck in this pre-battle screen limbo that I had to remove by reloading my save.

They delayed because there was a lot of feedback from the previous OpenDev. If they did open the OpenDev to everyone I think the devs will be overwhelmed by all sorts of feedback.

And honestly, people shouldn't be too impatient with game development, unless they want a game they've been hyping for months to end up bug ridden and having lots of problems that will cause them to refund. Just like that *ahem* that infamous Polish game.

I don't get the comments about non-distinct AI leaders. They look different on the diplomacy screen. They behave differently based on their characteristics. Their units and empire-borders are clearly distinguishable on the map: dotted colourful lines for Outposts, solid colourful lines for Cities, and when you pull back, the entire territory gets washed with the empire's colour. I'm not sure if this is just a newness thing, or if I'm missing something, but I can always see where I am vis-a-vis my borders, the lands of Independent People, lands that are available to be claimed, disputed (Outpost) regions, etc.

I agree. My playthroughs so far have been in he easiest difficulty (I have to admit), so they behave the same in some way. But what makes them distinctive even in that situation is the voice acting. Purple can be such a @#$%! if you don't interact with her that much, and it reflects in the voice acting.

Right now, the biggest problems I see in the game are those of Balance between the Era progression and the various 'currencies' (FIDS) in the game. Given that I and others have had problems keeping the Science progression up with the Era progression while other (far more expert than I) gamers have posted shots where they got all the Techs available before the end of the game, there is obviously a wild variation in possibilities which makes balance issues that much harder to address: do you balance for the Expert or the Average player? Do you allow massive increases in a single currency (like Science or Gold) by concentrating everything on them, or have a more reasonable over-all progression be all that is allowed? I don't envy the designers working on this problem, but it has to be solved or at least made sensible (right now, your best 'Science' progression comes from Religion, which is, to say the least, Counter-Intuitive) to the gamer.

I mentioned in the main thread how I was "experimenting" to get the industrial techs but failed three times. I'm still stuck in the medieval era. Which for a scenario that ends halfway is... okay. But I can understand that catching up and aligning building EU with tech is a hassle. It is a hard ask, but there has to be some sort of balance between players who try to catch up and players who can successfully pull off snowballing.

There were three OpenDevs before this I believe. I have a feeling this would be the last OpenDev before release on August 17.

Probably although I would hope for one more so we can provide feedback on random map generation as a final piece of feedback from the players.

Top Bottom