New patch (1.0.0.20)

Writing AI's isn't a simple task, but why if the press releasewas better then the retail don't they just replace the retail with the one of the press release

Because the press release wasn't better than what we have now? Are people even thinking about this theory?

Because the press release wasn't better than what we have now? Are people even thinking about this theory?

Which would mean that besides Eurogamer and Tom Chick every other publication and site that reviewed the game before released deliberately misled their readers or lack any sort of credibility and competence.

good god what a bunch of whiny children. I have issues with the game as well, obviously, but what they're doing with patches is perfectly reasonable. They're hammering out the quick fixes first, with game stability correctly regarded as the most urgent priority.

Fixing the AI is not a quick, simple fix. If they're serious about improving it, it will be a long term project, not a next day hotfix.

Yeah yeah, I know, I had to vent and relate my disappointment :blush:
It's just it's annoying that they're not even acknowledging that there is a problem, I'm dreading to read eventually the phrase "works as intended".

Sorry folks, I got carried away ^^

What is really scary is the level of IA in the two latest civ games from Firaxis...

I mean the new colonization. if you are scared about ciV's IA, never try released colonization. IA was just... nonexistent. But really nonexistent. It never make troop unit etc... Really impressive.

Civ 5...

Lets hope it's just the problem of the new concept : 1 upt

:lol:
This is just a joke :lol:
"-Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters."

Can we get some real fixing going on please? Like, oh I don't know, perhaps do something with the bloody AI?
Would you rather get constant patches, which is thanks to steam btw, or wait weeks for one? Perhaps they should hide minor patch notes for your convenience?

e: edited insult out, though you certainly do deserve it

-Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters.

This is a very minor issue but it never ceases to amaze me that programmers can't wrap their brains around the fact that users all around the world use a lot of different alphabets. There is a vast number of modern programs targeting a worldwide market that don't work as they should if they encounter a username with anything else but Latin characters. It is really pretty amazing these days.

Did they patch the bug where leaders literally give away their whole empire through negotiations?

Yeah I think there must have been some kind of change between the reviews and release; I cant believe the reviewers would be giving 90%+ to a game with this AI, and alt least not commenting how atrocious it is.

Rat

I don't think the AI is that bad, they solved one diplomacy problem where they give everything away for peace, as for other problems and inbalances I haven't played that much to notice any really. Ofcourse the AI isn't very good at tactical placement and combat, this is an advantage human players (well clever ones) have, it will probably take some time to make the AI better at it.

Yeah I think there must have been some kind of change between the reviews and release; I cant believe the reviewers would be giving 90%+ to a game with this AI, and alt least not commenting how atrocious it is.

Rat

The reviewers who spotted the issues with the game saw the weaknesses because they actually played it through enough, and were good enough at the game.

The weak AI was commented on in virtually all of the reviews; I suspect that they didn't think this was crucial because they thought that you could fix it by upping the difficulty, much as was the case in prior Civ releases.

Similarly, the lack of diplomacy options and the military win vs. other (extreme) imbalance got commented on. For some reason these things just didn't enter into the scores.

And then there were the numerous press release reviews, from the same sites where everyone is above average and all games are five stars.

I've participated in a few betas, and If Civ 5 is like any other ones they had ways of patching things in to create challenges. e.g. you could give Germany 10 units with super-user commands and then test their military strategies, or create cities and improvements to build an empire in place to test AI money management. It's very hard to test things with a small number of users by just creating the game and letting the AI play.

So they probably thought the AI was OK in wars because when they gave it armies of the right size it managed to use them. Some things, like naval invasions, were clearly not tested, neither were some speeds and map sizes.

This is a very minor issue but it never ceases to amaze me that programmers can't wrap their brains around the fact that users all around the world use a lot of different alphabets. There is a vast number of modern programs targeting a worldwide market that don't work as they should if they encounter a username with anything else but Latin characters. It is really pretty amazing these days.

Even if you're right, don't forget that they are many many many "details" that you always forgot about, during the development of any computer program, game or app.

Do you think people would always think to test different characters name than 'toto' to test this kind of stuff ?
Is it the priority ?
And could they have really expected that special character would made the game to crash / not work as intended ?

So I understand why it has been forgotten for the release.
And glad to see it has been very quickly corrected.

Still having problems with the mods installing. :(

But I can save my game locally now!

Top Bottom