New to Civ5. Questions about this project.

primem0ver

Emperor
I loved CTP so I am interested in any project that brings some of the CTP features to the current Civ game. I will probably ask several questions and if I decide I want to target target Civ V for a huge map making utility I am building I may want to join this endeavor.

I am curious if this mod adds ocean cities like CTP had? There is an ocean cities mod in the steam community. I so I was curious if you had already incorporated it or if it is compatible?

From what I can tell CCTP is no longer in dev, but there are ocean cities already in the mod.

We use a altered version of FA great "Ocean City" mod, along with many many other features and own creations.

The list of included features is just to long to post it, also CCTP is currently on hold.

There are a lot of parts that need to be overworked and tweaked, but there should be no game breaking bug in the latest version.

Out of curiosity, are "tunnels" an addition you guys made? Can they be built in the water? If so, I assume land units can use them. Can ordinary ships attack units in them without destroying the tunnel? The big mod I worked on for Civ 4 did this correctly where ships could not attack land units in the tunnel without pillaging the improvement to get rid of it. (Of course pillaging made getting rid of land units easy... but that is only natural when you have land units in an under-water tunnel).

I also have a basic game question. Is there an event engine in Civ 5 like there was in Civ 4 Beyond the Sword?

I am currently trying to see if it is possible to add terrain types to Civ V. It wasn't too hard to do it in Civ IV but that seems to have changed drastically because there is no clear organization to the way it is done in xml or even the data base (that i have peeked at).

Like I mentioned in the first post, I am working on an SDK map making utility. Basically it is a geography simulator that will put put land, terrains, features, and resources where they belong instead of relying on the faulty fractal generation method used in the map scripts which tends to put mountains in the middle of continents (they belong in chains along coasts).

I am focusing on climate first because that is a something that needs the most improvement in Civ 4 and 5.

The utility will take me a while so its ok that CCTP is on hold. Let me know though when you guys start developing again.

The Tunnel improvement was created by Whoward, we use a lot of his stuff in our Mod.

Naval units cant enter a tunnel, but they can enter a fort/citadel. So they work similar like a canal system.

In vanilla CiV there is no event system at all, Gyogen wrote the complete event system for CCTP time ago.

IIRC Horem did some work with altering existing terrains, there is a thread about it in the graphic sub forum, with some notes and a download of the files.

For SDk we got some issues in the past with CCTP and the map builder, iam not very familar with it, so i cant say that many about the issues;/

For further updates of CCTP, i still have some ideas and would like to finsh my work, but since real live keeps me busy and i went to other games, iam not sure when i will do some coding.

But i think i will start overworking my work in the near future, i spended so much time in this Mod, that i would like to polish it and to release a final version.

Feel free to ask me, i like to help, and dont mind any question;=)

I will play the expansion thing then. It sounds like it will be a good enough expansion for me to enjoy Civ V. The main thing I would like to add (when it is done) is my map generator.

I hope to experience some events soon in the game (just started my first one). I liked my event engine much more than I liked the one in BtS. I actually created new XML files and added new classes to the SDK in order to implement it. Can something similar be done in the Civ V SDK? I would normally think so but the interfacing with an SQL database makes me wonder.

One last thing. I wrote an invisibility mod for Civ IV that replaced the native invisibility (which is complete crap). It worked like invisibility in CTP in that stealth units of a higher tech (of the same class) could see stealth units of a lower tech but not vice versa. It also added a new kind of invisibility that was terrain/feature specific. Have you guys implemented anything like this in this mod? If not, I could probably add it (as long as new XML files aren't a problem).

We dont have a invisibility feature in CCTP, only the vanilla ones, but we have so many promotions, that i guess some of them could be called a invisibility effect.

CCTP is a community project, so adding new files isnt a problem, but due the massiv contant this mod contains, we didnt managed to finish all parts.

You can add extensions to the SDK, but its a lot of work and if you like to add new classes to it you will need probably to use the DLL.

But since you can only use one DLL mod at the same time, you would need to look at Whowards Dll code.

In fact we use that many Dll functions, that playing without Whowards Dll would break the game (its still playable, but will miss yields and the balance would be harmed)

Top Bottom