New to VP

Thuis001

Chieftain
Hello everyone,
I've been playing Civ V for a year or three-four on and off and in total about 10-15 games that I finished out of about 20 played. (Most of the ones I didn't finish were due to the game ending up crashing at some point...) recently I was looking for some mods to spice up the experience due to me getting a bit bored with the base game (+ all DLC's etc.). I've always stayed in the lower dificulties due to me disliking how the game handles higher dificulties (giving the AI stupid modifiers that make them straight up better then the human can hope to be (stat wise)) and played on Quick except for 1 or 2 games.

After downloading the mods I decided to jump in the deep and begin a multiplayer game with a friend of mine. We played until about the late Rennaisance before we quit due to the game getting quite boring, cities seemed to be impossible to take, unlike the base game where it never was too much of an hassle given that you use the right units (about 1-3 melee units and 2-3 ranged ones) Rather here it seems that either, there isn't a unit in the city so you can take it almost instantly, or there is one in the city and it takes forever to take it. I was playing as Venice and was on top of science. In the last 150 turns I had been at war thrice with England over a city (she always declared on me) and neither of us was able to take the nearest city of the opponent (except for me taking a city she settled next to my road connecting 2 cities about 5 turns before the war started, and while there was a knight in there there were no buildings so I could take it in a turn) while even in the base game this would have been kinda difficult for me to do (due to the city being surrouned with hills and mountains) once I finally got to sieging the city my cannons didn't do any damage and neither would my melee units do. It was so bad that with 3 cannons I was doing less damage then what the city would heal in a single turn.

Something else was that shortly after starting the game it became apperant that culture was much more difficult to do, with the cost of policies skyrocketing to over 4k in the early rennaisance. A number that I hadn't seen before in the base game (even in my highest policy game (3.5 of the branches fully done, plus the entire freedom ideology) it didn't rise above I believe 2k) (this was a long time ago so I might be wrong here) And while it appears that the value of tiles (food, production etc.) seems to be much greater (I actually had nothing to build in Venice most of the time during the late midieval/early rennaisance) I felt like my culture progress was much slower then normal.

All in all I would like to get advice on how I can do better in my next game of VP.

once I finally got to sieging the city my cannons didn't do any damage and neither would my melee units do. It was so bad that with 3 cannons I was doing less damage then what the city would heal in a single turn.
was that cannons or ranged units? What era it was and how much power did city have? It should not be like that, especially on lower difficulties.

Overall advice is to play it as a new game. Forget everything you know about vanilla civ5. Nothing you've learned before will work. You seem to be looking for an easy answer - it does not exist. Just play the game and see how doest it work. Exploring different mechancs and abilities is the most interesting part of this game!

Copy-pasting my post from another thread:
You're not bringing enough force to take the city. You need a critical mass. Let me give you a few examples to explain the situation:
A city with 300 HP and you have 2 trebuches doing a total of 40 damage a turn. The city has a garrisoned unit, so both the unit and the city take 20 damage per turn, which they heal off. The city can last basically indefinitely.
Adding another trebuche means that you'll be doing 60 damage per turn, but this means that only 10 of that damage will stick to the unit and city each turn. Assuming it buys new defenders when the current one dies, it will take 30 turns to take down.

Now let's bring 5 trebuches and hit it with each of our 5 longswordsmen.
The trebuches will deal 100 damage, split between the city and the unit. You wait a turn, then fire another 100 damage and your longswordsmen hit for another 100 damage. The unit dies after the second longswordsman hit, so the final 3 do full damage to the city. The city is at 140 HP. The AI buys another defender. You shoot, pillage the tiles the swordsmen are on to heal and swing again. This kills the defender and brings the city to 60 HP. The AI buys another unit, but it's for naught. You fire again and take the city on the fourth longsword attack. The last swordsman heals for 15 that turn.

The fight might have only taken 1 turn if you could have surrounded the city fully with a 6th swordsman, for that sweet sweet +20% blockaded bonus.

These numbers are probably not exactly accurate, but the point is: You need to bring a lot of damage to outpace the healing of the city, and the unit inside the city. Melee unit attacks DRASTICALLY speed up taking cities, but can also backfire if you swing carelessly.

All in all I would like to get advice on how I can do better in my next game of VP.
I would personally recommend you to read this https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/emperor-brazil-photojournal-8-6-1-and-8-6-2.635424/

While this game is obviously not as skilled as CrazyG's, randomnub's or mine - you don't seem need that right now. I really like Legen's the way of thinkig. Also his story has nice amount of details and will give you an idea on how much small things matter.

For players coming from vanilla, best advice is: don't rush food and science, go for culture and production instead. Second best advice is: try to have a big and experienced army.

In your case, I think you have gone too fast. This is a completely new game and it requires time to get the bones of it. Play your games as a learning experience and don't worry about your failures, it will come. So first lower the difficulty and spend some time learning the game, then read a photojournal or two to get into strategies. If in doubt, use the quick questions thread. You have some mostly updated info in the wiki. I have some short guides too in this subforum, just look for the [Guide] tag.

So I started a new game today, playing as Russia, toned down the difficulty to 2 so I could figure out how to better get this to work. Continents, Huge, Quick. Abundant resources. Got a pretty good start surrounded by grassland and a river with a couple of hills nearby. I quickly discovered that it was just me and Indonesia on the island. At around turn 90 I declared war on him and over the next 15 turns I took his 3 strongest cities aswell as 2 others, after taking his capital he surrendered and became my vassal. However, when I wanted to return one of his cities (on a poor spot with little hope of improvement) I found out that I couldn't actually do so. Can anyone explain why this isn't possible, I tried to look around on the wiki but that wasn't helpfull either. My plan for now is to focus on getting my cities stronger aswell as dealing with all the captured land. (I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that it takes 50 turns before any captured units become usefull so I deleted them instead.)

Not sure about returning cities. Trading cities is possible, and usually AI really like yo ask you to return them captured cities.
(I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that it takes 50 turns before any captured units become usefull so I deleted them instead.)
Well building new workers is by far a worse choice. You should keep them and siply order them to work on low priority tasks like roads or farms

EDIT:
This was made to prevent players from stealilng workers in the early game, especially from city-states. It was a very overperforming strategy. It is still a very good one, i try to do it every game, it pays off.

Last edited:
(I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that it takes 50 turns before any captured units become usefull so I deleted them instead.)

Captured Workers in vanilla are too strong. Captured workers are much weaker, but still better than nothing. As Owl said, don't put them on the key stuff, and they will still ultimately carry their weight.

So I started a new game today, playing as Russia, toned down the difficulty to 2 so I could figure out how to better get this to work. Continents, Huge, Quick. Abundant resources. Got a pretty good start surrounded by grassland and a river with a couple of hills nearby. I quickly discovered that it was just me and Indonesia on the island. At around turn 90 I declared war on him and over the next 15 turns I took his 3 strongest cities aswell as 2 others, after taking his capital he surrendered and became my vassal. However, when I wanted to return one of his cities (on a poor spot with little hope of improvement) I found out that I couldn't actually do so. Can anyone explain why this isn't possible, I tried to look around on the wiki but that wasn't helpfull either. My plan for now is to focus on getting my cities stronger aswell as dealing with all the captured land. (I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that it takes 50 turns before any captured units become usefull so I deleted them instead.)
In huge and you only have met one civ? Just hurry your ships and go discover more people! The game becomes harder if you don't make acquaintances.
Playing abundant resources with Russia is counter-productive. Your bonus is doubled strategic resources, so you can field every elite unit as much as you like. This shines when resources are sparse. Next time, try to setup your game with sparse or strategic resources. The former is quite tactical, limiting seriously the elite units you can produce (where Russia has an edge), the latter gives every capital some horses and some iron so you are less luck dependent.

You can only return a city if it is at full health.

Sometimes the AI won't take it anyways, not sure why.

Not sure about returning cities. Trading cities is possible, and usually AI really like yo ask you to return them captured cities.

Well building new workers is by far a worse choice. You should keep them and siply order them to work on low priority tasks like roads or farms

EDIT:
This was made to prevent players from stealilng workers in the early game, especially from city-states. It was a very overperforming strategy. It is still a very good one, i try to do it every game, it pays off.

Overperforming for players, and one that the AI didn't use.

Note that the -50% work rate modifier on captured workers is an additive mulitplier that can be strongly mitigated with Pyramids and Progress's Liberty. If you manage to get both, you'll have captured workers working at normal 100% work rate.

In huge and you only have met one civ? Just hurry your ships and go discover more people!

Yeah, I'm stuck on an island, and all around me is ocean, I'm only just in the medieval era so I can't send ships out yet. Which means that yeah, I only met 1 Civ.

Yeah, I'm stuck on an island, and all around me is ocean, I'm only just in the medieval era so I can't send ships out yet. Which means that yeah, I only met 1 Civ.
That's why I like map script that have the option "player always start on a main continent", because it can be a game killer.

Also note that contrary to Vanilla, ancient era ships can go trough deep sea. They just need
1) To finish their on a coast tile
2) You need to see the destination (with the boat or any other unit)
It works as if sea tiles were just coastal tile with a unit on top of it (preventing you to finish your mouvement on the tile).
=> With some luck, you can escape your little island with a ship with enough sight and movement.

Well, about 20 turns after the last post I got the explorer unlocked, so I moved my scout to the edge of the island so he could go as soon as possible. Found most of the other Civs by this point. With the stupidly buffed explorer I have explored most of the second continent (about 85+%) and I have now moved on to the third continent that I know of. Still wondering where the last Civ is. Another question arises. I have created a religion which is the dominant one on my island, with only 1 city not following it. The Indonesians however also started a religion before I could take their main cities. I've converted the holy city, but is there any way I can destroy the religion?

Well, about 20 turns after the last post I got the explorer unlocked, so I moved my scout to the edge of the island so he could go as soon as possible. Found most of the other Civs by this point. With the stupidly buffed explorer I have explored most of the second continent (about 85+%) and I have now moved on to the third continent that I know of. Still wondering where the last Civ is. Another question arises. I have created a religion which is the dominant one on my island, with only 1 city not following it. The Indonesians however also started a religion before I could take their main cities. I've converted the holy city, but is there any way I can destroy the religion?
For a religion to disappear you need:
1) No city following this religion, obviously
2) The founder must be eliminated from the game (and never resurected), because he can spawn prophets of his religion even if the religion is "eliminated"
3) No civ that did not found a religion should take the control of the previous holy city, for the same reason than "2"
=> With all of that, some follower may be remaining, but they should not cause any problems.

After about a month of absence I've returned to the wonderful world of Civ.
I started sorting out my nation a bit and tried to get back to the top spot, part of my plan for doing so was getting rid of Venice, however I then saw that Venice has a defensive pact with the two other "Great Powers". This means that attacking them would be suicide, when looking for other targets I soon found out there wasn't a single Civ that didn't have a defensive pact, great, well since I am not keen on fighting half the world, I guess I'll just stick to my island. What really annoys me is that there is no way of breaking such a defensive pact by diplomatic means. For example, Venice has 2 cities next to the Iroquois (one of the two other "Great Powers") and 1 next to the Soshones, the other Great power. Venice doesn't look all that powerful on it's own. However there isn't any way to get the other two civs in the defensive pact to stop backing Venice. Like for example doing something akin to a Molotov-Ribbentroppact where we split up Venice's land into areas that we would get after a war, either for fighting or staying out of the conflict.

After about a month of absence I've returned to the wonderful world of Civ.
I started sorting out my nation a bit and tried to get back to the top spot, part of my plan for doing so was getting rid of Venice, however I then saw that Venice has a defensive pact with the two other "Great Powers". This means that attacking them would be suicide, when looking for other targets I soon found out there wasn't a single Civ that didn't have a defensive pact, great, well since I am not keen on fighting half the world, I guess I'll just stick to my island. What really annoys me is that there is no way of breaking such a defensive pact by diplomatic means. For example, Venice has 2 cities next to the Iroquois (one of the two other "Great Powers") and 1 next to the Soshones, the other Great power. Venice doesn't look all that powerful on it's own. However there isn't any way to get the other two civs in the defensive pact to stop backing Venice. Like for example doing something akin to a Molotov-Ribbentroppact where we split up Venice's land into areas that we would get after a war, either for fighting or staying out of the conflict.
Provoke them. Defense Pacts do not apply when one of the civs decides to attack.

Provoke them. Defense Pacts do not apply when one of the civs decides to attack.
I know it works like that, if they attack the pact gets cancelled (which is honestly weird) however, how do I get them to attack me. (Or someone else for that fact, would do the trick aswell)

Denounce them, steal their land with Great General, spread religion to them, propose a resolution that they hate, settle a city near their border.

I know it works like that, if they attack the pact gets cancelled (which is honestly weird) however, how do I get them to attack me. (Or someone else for that fact, would do the trick aswell)
It is called defense pact because it only applies when attacked. This is a common treaty in real life. Otherwise, they are full allies, but in civ v we don't have this figure. You still can have joint wars, you can propose a friend to fight together against a third player. And bribed wars, for the right amount of money.

Top Bottom