New type of cities

ArbogLi

Chieftain
Hi friends! I got a little question and I hope you can help me with it. Let me put you on situation:

When we play a game, usually we colonize the "best" regions, but in some areas like ice we don't create cities, it's too expensive to maintain and usually are quite vulnerable because are far from our empires. But here is the problem, sometimes in those areas are quite interesting resources, and we have here the dilema: build a city to get it or don't build it.

I was thinking to make a new type of cities, something like a "mining colony", cheaper than a city, with less options (actually, just a couple of options) and a new unit I want to call "geologist".

Someone have experience with it or any usefull information that could help me with this project?

If you remove the "InAdjacentFriendly" requirement from citadels and add "OutsideBorders" (like a fort) they pretty much do what you want - the hard part will be adding all the restrictions you want, and then the really hard part will be teaching the AI to use them

Code:
<Row>
  <Type>IMPROVEMENT_CITADEL</Type>
  <BuildableOnResources>true</BuildableOnResources>
  <DefenseModifier>100</DefenseModifier>
  <!-- InAdjacentFriendly>true</InAdjacentFriendly -->
  <DestroyedWhenPillaged>true</DestroyedWhenPillaged>
  <OutsideBorders>true</OutsideBorders>
  <CultureBombRadius>1</CultureBombRadius>
  <CreatedByGreatPerson>true</CreatedByGreatPerson>
  <!-- NearbyEnemyDamage>30</NearbyEnemyDamage -->
</Row>