New Unit--Chinese Junk

TVA22

King
This is my first unit, it's a bit jumpy, but acceptable to me. Just wanted to post it here and let other people use it, as I've used other people's units!

So far I'm not sure if the sound effects will work, I can't seem to get my .ini files to read sound effects from other units' folders, so I had to just copy the sound effects into my own folder for this unit. But I dunno, maybe I'm just doing something wrong. In any event, the unit works fine, just may be silent without copying and pasting some wav files.

At least this unit fits the Chinese better than the rider.

Realized I made a mistake-- two of the Attack animations were backwards!! I fixed the problem now. I just forgot when making the unit that I can't just copy and mirror the selected portion on the attack animation, because sometimes the arrows are supposed to come from a different place. Sorry all--should not look silly in-game any longer when attacking NW or East.

Edited unit, its more polished now, as I've learned a lot in the 5 mo or so I've been making units. If you need the sounds, check the bottom of page 2.

Attachments

• junk.zip
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,474
I have no idea how to post a preview animation or screenshot... sorry.

Thats a really cool unit, now china can get at all of those luxury resources in the south pacific before india and japan hehe :goodjob: . I'll help you out and post an image of your junk so everyone can see how good it is and download it :D
I would post it animated, but I also have no clue how to do that.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 5,514
What a good idea for a Chinese unit! :goodjob:

Really beautiful unit TVA,
I would beg some great animation wizard like you to do the animations for my realistcWorld mod.
I only still lack animations for "Man at Arms" and "frontlineman"(the links on the upgrade chain between swordsman/legionaire/immortal and marine then Special Forces.
Also I lack animation for the upgrade to carrier which is "Nuclear Carrier".
Also the animation for "Merc hit team" the upgrade to assassin.

Man at Arms
Frontlineman
Nuclear Carrier
Merc hit team

Great someones finally posted a grapgic for this, should make a more intereting special unit for China. Any ideas for stats for it? I was thinking maybe replace the caravel or the galley but give it the ability to traverse ocean or sea(respectively) although Im not sure if that would be too great an advantage.

As for the Man at Arms, I thought someone else was already doing one, based off of a roman legion, the spec ops unit was supposed to be a modern assassin, I thought, and what we really need in the carrier department is an early one, ala the Ark Royal, Akagi, or Lexington. I think the current carrier is supposed to be a nuclear one, at least the graphics look like a Nimitz class to me.

On my list are: Yamato Class super-battlehship, already about half-way done.

WWI era battleship based off of the USS Texas

Japanese Imerial Marines

Chinese Resistance (Guomindang troops) (counter to above)

Kamikaze fighter

The Bismark class battleship

and some more I just can't think of now. My fav point in history is WW2 in the Pacific. What can I say, I love Japan and China, which is why most of my units are for that part of the world. Really, this was just something I sat down to do because I wanted to, I just used Flicster and MGI photo suite to make the graphics. It's not that hard, just lots of copy and paste stuff, so it gets tedious. Anyone with the time can do it, I think. But I dunno, I'm also an oil painter on my spare time, so maybe it's easy for me.

As for stats, I really can't say. I didn't think the Chinese should be militaristic in the first place, my bid was for them to be either scientific, or religious in place of militaristic. So I just make the Junk a galleon that comes when you usually get the caravel--representing those massive Junks ala Zheng He's expedition. But I also make the Chinese non-militaristic, and just change the Great Wall to match them. I know the only reason Firaxis made the Chinese Militaristic in the first place was because they couldn't justify making the Great Wall anything but a militaristic wonder, and they wanted to make sure the Chinese got their golden age from building it. To me, the Great Wall being a scientific wonder is not so bad--since it was an engineering feat for the time. I still haven't figured out what to do with that Rider yet though. I've renamed it, so it sounds more Chinese, but the stats for both units are still up in the air in my games too.

Originally posted by TVA22
So I just make the Junk a galleon that comes when you usually get the caravel.

Hi I too had thought of adding it as an alternative Caravel for the chinese (a flavour unit if you will). The problem I have is that it creates a hole in the upgrade path to square: galleys upgrade to Caravels but if the Chinese don't have Caravels they can't upgrade their galleys. Is the only way to do this to give the Chinese their own Galley as well? Other alternatives are to bump up the junk's stats to compensate for the hole in the upgrade path or just make it a replacement to the galley but I think this comes too early to make the unit 'flavoursome' - what do you think?

Originally posted by Archimedes

Hi I too had thought of adding it as an alternative Caravel for the chinese (a flavour unit if you will). The problem I have is that it creates a hole in the upgrade path to square: galleys upgrade to Caravels but if the Chinese don't have Caravels they can't upgrade their galleys. Is the only way to do this to give the Chinese their own Galley as well? Other alternatives are to bump up the junk's stats to compensate for the hole in the upgrade path or just make it a replacement to the galley but I think this comes too early to make the unit 'flavoursome' - what do you think?

Yes it can be done. Remember, the upgrade rules in civ3 are this; if you can't build a unit (because you lack the resources or your nation is not allowed that unit) then you are allowed to carry on building the old unit.

So, if the upgrade path were:-
Galley --> Junk --> Caravel --> Galleon --> Transport, and only the Chinese & Jananese can build Junks (but not Caravels), then all the other nations will carry on building Galleys untill Caravels are invented, while the Chinese/Japan will keep building Junks untill they invent Galleons.
In effect, Galleys would upgrade to both Junks AND Caravels.

Originally posted by Kryten

Yes it can be done. Remember, the upgrade rules in civ3 are this; if you can't build a unit (because you lack the resources or your nation is not allowed that unit) then you are allowed to carry on building the old unit.

So, if the upgrade path were:-
Galley --> Junk --> Caravel --> Galleon --> Transport, and only the Chinese & Jananese can build Junks (but not Caravels), then all the other nations will carry on building Galleys untill Caravels are invented, while the Chinese/Japan will keep building Junks untill they invent Galleons.
In effect, Galleys would upgrade to both Junks AND Caravels.

Thanks Kryten. So all that needs to be done is to make the settings like so: Galleys upgrade to Junks; Junks upgrade to Caravels; Caravels upgrade to Galleons. Sounds so simple and I hadn't thought of it (Doh).

I Heard on In Search Of... That the chinese launched junks hundreds of feet long.:eek: Could anyone make one of these "super junks"?

Top Bottom