New unit: Roman Archer (mar 28th, 2005)

Bjornlo said:
aaglo,
I'm so glad you did a historical infantry unit.
We all admire your fantasy units a great deal, but most of us will never use them. Historical units on the other had are useful to almost everyone.

Thank you.

I echo Bjornlo's comments.

Thanks for the archer - it's going straight into my mod :thumbsup: !!

Why I prefer fantasy units over historical:
- historical units offer very little artistic freedom
- there are already more people doing historical stuff (than fantasy stuff)
- with fantasy units everyone has an opinion (which I can conviniently ignore if I choose so :p ), which is not the case with historical units - If I do something the way I see fit (and if that way somehow deviates from historical facts), then I'm about to be doomed in to the deepest dungeons of the underworld :p

aaglo said:
Why I prefer fantasy units over historical:
- historical units offer very little artistic freedom
- there are already more people doing historical stuff (than fantasy stuff)
- with fantasy units everyone has an opinion (which I can conviniently ignore if I choose so :p ), which is not the case with historical units - If I do something the way I see fit (and if that way somehow deviates from historical facts), then I'm about to be doomed in to the deepest dungeons of the underworld :p

I totally understand. I know what you mean about doing some historical artwork that deviates from historical fact and getting criticism for it - that happens to me too ;) .

I do hope you do more historical units, but I'm glad you're still enjoying making units, whether it be fantasy or historical. Your artwork is always of the highest calibre and much appreciated.

Sometimes, I think it's an advantage not to know every little artical of clothing in history. If it looks ancient and could be fit into a civilization, I don't care how accurate it is. But then, I'm a fantasy fanatic. I don't mind games veering off the historic path, because I don't care. It's all about fun and "eye candy" to me.

Actually, I don't think anyone is doing historical units right now. There has been a flurry of fantasy units but this is the first historical, at least pre-modern, that I've seen in a good long while. But I understand the desire not to have your creations nit-picked to death. I personally feel people should be a bit less critical and be happy they got a unit at all. Historical sources available to us are seldom 100% reliable in any case and often at odds.

Besides, uniforms wasn't as widely spread as they are now. If anyone wanted to use a different helmet than the standard, that was usually allowed. I really wonder how accurate the "every soldier a clone of the others" idea/style/thingy was... :hmm:

I for one really appreciate that aaglo make fantasy units. :thumbsup:

Doesn't bother me what he makes. Historical unit work for my mod, because Mystara was based on Earth (Middle Ages and backwards) to begin with. But fantasy is a lot of fun. I've also figured out, aaglo will make whatever he feels like whether or not you bug him. I know, I've tried.

oooh, my 3500th post.

Bjornlo said:
aaglo,
...fantasy units... most of will never use them. Historical units on the other had are useful to almost everyone.

Not true. Not true at all. Warhammer fantasy is one of the most popular mods. And don't for get the beloved Master of Myrror and the eagerly awaited Mystara. And then theres that one from thoes books. And therre are porbably tons of smaller fantasy mods as well.

Hrafnkell said:
Actually, I don't think anyone is doing historical units right now.

You have been ignoring poor W.I.N.T.E.R.! Ang Vgnrjoe! Both recently relased fantastic historical units.

EDIT: and CivArmy has been redoing his historical units as well.

Goldflash said:
You have been ignoring poor W.I.N.T.E.R.! Ang Vgnrjoe! Both recently relased fantastic historical units.

EDIT: and CivArmy has been redoing his historical units as well.

So are Ripptide and Wyrmshadow.

Goldflash said:
Not true. Not true at all. Warhammer fantasy is one of the most popular mods. And don't for get the beloved Master of Myrror and the eagerly awaited Mystara. And then theres that one from thoes books. And therre are porbably tons of smaller fantasy mods as well.

A wonderful mod, I'm sure. But check the number of posts on the warhammer threads and compare them to the threads based on historical mods. I'd bet Warhammer gets less then 1% of the attention of the those who use this forum. 1% of a very large number is still a fairly large number, but it is not a large percentage.

Bjornlo, did you check that yourself before posting?
If you sort the threads in the Modpack forum by views (this is, IMO, more fair for showing interest than sorting by replies) you see that 4 out of the 10 most popular mods are fantasy mods. Only DyP has more views than the WH mod (both of them have more than 200k views), but that mod is also a lot older than the WH mod.

I'd say you'd loose that bet, I think 40% is more close to the truth than 1%. :)

No I didn't count the posts. (taking a quick peek)...40%? no, not even close to that. I would be utterly shocked if it were even close to 5, I still think 1% is too high.

I also don't really care. As Aaglo said, it is not very important.

Besides all I said originally was most of us do not use fantasy units. If that number is 99.99% or 50.01% it would still be most of us.

Bjornlo said:
aaglo,
I'm so glad you did a historical infantry unit.
We all admire your fantasy units a great deal, but most of will never use them. Historical units on the other had are useful to almost everyone.

Thank you.

Important life lesson: If someone gives you something for free, don't complain. You could've avoided all this tension by only showing your appreciation. :rolleyes:

Hopefully we can move back on to the subject of this unit now. :)

:goodjob:

Hi Randy,
in most cultures saying
Bjornlo said:
Thank you
is considered an acceptable method of showing appreciation.
Why don't you re-read my post you quoted there and see if I was ever unappreciative for this unit. If you want extra credit go through all of Aaglo's threads and see if I ever said an ungracious thing about him or any of his units.
In showing you the proper appreciation for this valuable life lesson, I'll save you the trouble.
I've never said an unkind word to Aaglo nor about any of his units, either directly or indirectly. Quite the opposite.

Top Bottom