New Unit: Turret

good good, will look for it, thank you

Originally posted by GIDustin
Hmm. Do you have time to make a paradrop animation? Perhaps a crate that falls with a chute attached, and when it hits the ground, the sides of the box fall revealing the turret.

That would be awesome

GIDustin

PAradrop a 90 tons gun turrets- lemme guess u also got Amphibious oposum warriors fighting in your ranks man :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Dragon King
Is there a patch available for lethal bomardment? Cos my version of the editor doesnt have it. If so, does anyone know where to get it?

Oh, very VERY nice unit btw, thanks!

you should definitly upgrade to patch version .21 or .29F !!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by zulu9812
Dragon King - lethal land & sea bombardment comes with the 1.21f patch.

it,s actually the 1.29f patch that has l/l ans l/s, not 1.21f.

Originally posted by stainz

it,s actually the 1.29f patch that has l/l ans l/s, not 1.21f.

R U sure- I also thought it was the .21 that got rid of the (obsolete) "mounted" flag and introduced lethal bombardement

:crazyeye:

W.I.N.T.E.R.! I'm not absolutely agree with U.
First: “land-or-sea” problem.
Battle turrets near Stalingrad and Sevastopol were prototype of my work, but I don’t know any sea near Stalingrad. Such turrets had been used at the coast of Finland bay (Hanka Island) during WWI-II and they were placed at the land (some of them were placed at the RW platform, like Nazi “Mirus”). America, England, France and Russia (“Red Hill”) had it also. But all of them, as a rule, been used vs. land troops (“Mirus” vs. Leningrad, Battle turrets near Sevastopol against Nazi SS troops, and so on…).
Anyway all statistic - your choice, so U can make it as air unit. Be free!;)

Second: Paradrop-or-not-Paradrop
I see only one way for placement immobile unit (not in-city) with current Fraxis tools. It is paradrop! But as I thought it doesn’t mean that >340 tonns (not 90!) turret fall down from the sky, it means paradrop.flc contains construction animation.

What do U think about it?
…and thanks for your attention at my unit.

Excuse me- Stalingrad had three-barrelled gun turrets :rolleyes: ? R U SURE ??? I can understand if they stand in sevastopol (because they are designed as capital ship gun turrets anyway)- BTW- if such monsters were mounted in Stalingrad they were brought in via SHIPS on the Volga because there is no way you can transport a 340+ (wow) tons item just like that over land- the railway guns I know are normally ONE barrel and NOT a whole turret with three (I know there has been a double- barrelled design) :o

Besides: how many do you wish to deploy- because thos RWs U R talking about were used as OFFENSIVE SIEGE GUNS and U can count those those with the fingers on your hand (i.e. Ridiculously few!!!) The AI will either mass produce such quantities that it will become a problem, or it wont be realistic if U paradrop it on land (I see the need if sb is trying to recreate the Maginot line- gut again: The Maginot did not have such Monsters en gross, but smaller, single-barrelled turrets with low siluette)

Just don't make it too powerfull, otherwise it might come back and bite u ;) - U can BTW always make them transportable by ground/sea carriers...

I am definitly gonna stick to the naval- fortification idea- à la "Atlantik-Wall"

I would rather use this unit out in the open than just as city defender, but that is just me.

I do admit that a parachute isn't exactly the bext idea, but currently when the unit is paradropped, it just "appears" in the square. I think we can get a little creative and make a good TurretDrop.flc.

The idea about an animation showing it construct itself is also a good idea. Either idea will work.

GIDustin

hmm- will the AI use it properly, though ? Bcoz the chance is- since it will have considerable BOOM and high defense, the AI will litter the countryside with these things and will deplete all of his resources for guns standing around in the open- he is not going to build a coherent defense system like a defense line (chances are there will be 20 guns on one tile !!! )... and rotting until they are either destroyed or until hell freeces over

Can a unit be paradropped before the advanced flight tech is learned?

Goodwin is right in that many times coastal defense artillery was used against land targets rather than naval targets. The turreted guns of Fort Drum in Manila Bay and the coast defense guns of Singapore being two examples.

Originally posted by Polaris
Goodwin is right in that many times coastal defense artillery was used against land targets rather than naval targets. The turreted guns of Fort Drum in Manila Bay and the coast defense guns of Singapore being two examples.

*Sigh" yes but that doesn't make them any less COASTAL batteries- Singapore and Manila Bay are by the sea, right :lol: My point was that such Mamoths should not be positioned inland, yet somewhere on the shore (i.e. if imobile in a coastal city only- as a naval unit with 0 movement)

Such big calibre guns are useless inland, where targets aren't the size of a ship, but of individual soldiers and highly mobile ground and air vehicles that can take out the gun from close range!

If used as a land defense in a scenario I'd suggest to pre-position them on the map at start !!!

Can a unit be paradropped before the advanced flight tech is learned?

If U have a building with the "Allows Airtrade Flag" (see Airport Improvement) and the unit in question has the "Airdrop" Flag on U can !!:p

Excellent. Thank you Herr Reichsmarshal. Air dropping gun turrets seems pretty cheesey, but I don't know how else they could be positioned if they are flagged as immobile.

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r.:
*Sigh" yes but that doesn't make them any less COASTAL batteries- Singapore and Manila Bay are by the sea, right My point was that such Mamoths should not be positioned inland, yet somewhere on the shore (i.e. if imobile in a coastal city only- as a naval unit with 0 movement)

I completly agree. I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.:crazyeye:

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r.:

I completly agree. I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.:crazyeye:

Welcome, it is just an idea- bcoz we had the same problem with finding a use for the Naval Mine... immobile was required- as well as airdrop (I argued that a movement rate of 1 should be ok- some of them were magnetic anyways- hehehe)... very fine except that via airdrop the AI was dropping them on the shore where they stayed :( - so I am trying to avoid these lil problems from the start (since Firaxis took away the possibility to change the safegame by editing the bic files)

Its a great unit, probably works best as a naval turret, you can always use it to bombard land targets attacking from the shore.
I'm not sure that ships can do a defensive bombard to defend against ground targets (You would need to make it a land unit for that, but I think its realistic, if you sit around on the plains outside a city guarded by this monster prepare to get mauled, but they would be of little use in close support).

Originally posted by W.i.n.t.e.r

R U sure- I also thought it was the .21 that got rid of the (obsolete) "mounted" flag and introduced lethal bombardement

:crazyeye:

you,re right, but i don,t remember seeing it in the editor. actually i lost interest in civ3 after 1.21f, but got re-interested when they came out with 1.29f.

Top Bottom