New Unit: Yet Another Mine Unit 01/09/04

I'm not sure how making them only transport foot units will help the immobile problem... I mean, do immobile foot units get to land, 'cause if not, I don't see the point.

I think the ICBM flag makes the AI think they must have infinite range (which they do), so they won't load them and fire them off from a different city... Or maybe they're just too dumb. Who knows?

A Viking Yeti said:
I'm not sure how making them only transport foot units will help the immobile problem... I mean, do immobile foot units get to land, 'cause if not, I don't see the point.
Making them only able to transport foot units will prevent the game from crashing when trying to load an immoblie unit on a transport.
The immoblie unit won't be a foot unit and thus cannot be loaded, in the first place.

The Entire Problem that causes game crashes concerning Land Mines is due to the Immobile setting. Immobile means it cannot move. When the AI or human tries to unload from water to land, the Unit has to MOVE from the Ship to land and because it is Immobile, this is impossible, and the Game Crashes. IF an Immobile unit is unloaded inside a city or Airdrop is used, either the City or the unit that does the Airdrop is the thing that MOVES and all is ok. We do not want land mines moving (Sliding) on their own so the Immobile setting is used. The Key is to have land mines set with the Immobile setting and set a unit as a "LAND Transport" rather than water transport to carry them. This eliminates the water to land issue and no game crashes. Set land mines with airlift ability so airports can be used to take them to other cities and also use Paradrop so the land Mines can be paradropped the max squares (8). As long as the "Land Transport" or "Land Transports" of your choosing is or are the ONLY units that can transport the Land Mines and this is ONLY on Land, the land mines will not be able to crash the game and the AI should also be able use them. Main difficulty with this is arranging the settings for the land mines and all transports so the land mines can ONLY be transported by the "Land Transport" or "Land Transports" chosen to be used for this purpose. Prevent Land Mines from being loaded or unloaded from any Water Transport to land and all will be OK. The settings that would be necessary to prevent Land Mines from being Loaded and unloaded from Water Transports (Ships) is the Big problem because in order to prevent water transports (ships) from being able to load Land Mines would require major game setting changes that would also prevent Ships from being able to load other units as well. I have not found a Unique setting that could be applied to Land Mines ONLY, where the necessary settings would prevent Loading on Water Transports (ships). I understand that many people want the AI to be able to use Land Mines as well but the needed editor settings simply do not exist to make this practical. Rather than have to radically change the game settings to accommodate the use of Land Mines for the AI, I recommend the Human player use Land Mines Only and Not give them to the AI. Bottom Line: IF you want the AI to use Land Mines you will have to Prevent Land Mines from being loaded to Water transports (ships) so they cannot try to "unload" these Immobile units to land...or set Land Mines with ability to move so they could be "unloaded to land but this would would be Extremely Funny at best, watching land mines run around in the game. Perhaps Fraxis will provide a unique editor setting we can use for units such as Land Mines in the Future.

@Vuldacon- The restrictive transport settings compound on each other, so you can make a land transport to carry foot units only and tactical missiles only, so it can only carry units with BOTH flags, and make the mine a foot unit and tactical missile. Problem: AI will not use land transports, because there is no strategy flag for it.

Yes Weasel Op...because there are NO Editor settings that will allow us to Realistically use units such as the Land Mine (and have the AI use them too) we have to decide if we want to radically change the game to accommodate the AI having these units or simply keep them for the Human Player. Personally, I have NO problem with setting them for the Human player only and find that the AI can be More than compensated with other units that it can use well. Again, I hope new Editor settings that will allow such units to be used by the AI as well will be added in the future. But hey...use the Land Mines and if you Really feel that you are taking advantage of the AI...you can always balance the game in Many other ways. IF we like a Unit, we can use it and adjust the game as we see fit. No need in allowing the limitations of the Editor to Totally Dictate what units we want to use :)

Top Bottom