New Warlords Civ Info from Ign.com - 7/6

Excellent some of those UUs and UBs look really interesting. It looks like they've got a decent balance between the units and the buildings eg. the hamam sounds excellent for the ottomans whilst the janissary is not quite so good replacing a unit that quickly becomes obsolete. I must say though that the Vikings and Zulus seem to both have great UUs and UBs.
Its a shame there was no info on the new generic units that they will add to the vanilla game, the trebuchet aside I havn't seen any new about them at all

yeah, I would like to see a good report on what Warlords will give twist to the basic game in general...

I just love the unique buildings. I thought they would have a rather small impact, but it looks like ther influence on gameplay will be just as important as the leader trait.
For example the celtic free guerilla means you can make guerilla II the first real promotion which will significantly increase the mobility of your ground troops.
Some of the new leaders have old combos, so I think some old leaders will change.
With Mehmed being Exp/Org Julius will probably become imperialistic (along with Napoleon, I think I read somewhere Stalin will be Agressive/Industrious).

I noticed that Julius, Huyana and Ghengis Khan should be changed.

Thinking about it a bit don't the celtic UU and UB nullify each other?
The Gallic warrior gets a free guerilla 1 promotion (not that great anyway)
and the UB gives all units a guerilla 1 promotion. Unless the UB tops the swordsman up to Guerilla 2 then the UU is almost worthless!.

Unless your talking about mounted units how would guerilla 2 make any unit more mobile as a move 1 unit will still only move 1 square irrespective of whether that terrain type costs 1 or 2 MP

Thansk for the news update.

And I wouldn't count on existing leaders' traits being changed. ;)

IGN Preview said:
Carthage replaces the Horse Archer with its own Numidian Cavalry. Though it only has a strength of 5, the Numidian Archer begins with the Flanking I promotion, giving it an extra 10% chance to withdraw from combat. As if that wasn't good enough, the Numidian Cavalry also gets an additional 50% bonus against all melee units.

They make it sound like there are two unique units. :dubious:

Sorry, I guess I didn't make the title stand out much - hence the double post later on.

I'm interested to see what the unique buildings are for the other civs now.

Ok, after reading that I'm pretty excited about this x-pack.

Sounds like some fun new additions and twists to keep the game fresh.

ahab_in_rehab said:
Oh, didn't think about it...yeah seems somewhat stupid.

ahab_in_rehab said:
Unless your talking about mounted units how would guerilla 2 make any unit more mobile as a move 1 unit will still only move 1 square irrespective of whether that terrain type costs 1 or 2 MP

Nope, guerilla II and woodsman II give double movement in hills/forest. A warrior with guerilla II will be able to move two tiles per turn if the first tile is a hill.

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

Don't ever say Firaxis isn't the best company ever. I've thought for a long time that what Carthage really needed for a uu was Numidian Cavalry. When I heard they were keeping the same uus as Civ3, I was a little disapointed, but decided to resolve myself to the fact that, although misnamed, the Numidian Mercenary of PTW was still a decent uu. But they chose the best unit. Not only that, but it does exactly what it should do. Better chance for withdraw fits perfectly. The bonus against melee units works and the weakened attack fits good as well (they were there to harass, they weren't shock troops). I wouldn't call it the best unit in the game, but it fits perfectly for Carthage. So, once again, thank you Firaxis :D

Some other comments. The Celts seem a tad disapointing, though. And their building a unit seem to contradict each other. Hopefully they've planned for that, though.

I think the Vikings will be very good, though. Their uu isn't as good as the Civ3 version, but is still solid. I think the traits are pretty good too (especially in multiplayer, where wars are inevitable).

A few leaders look like they'll need trait changes. Mehmed is Organized, Expansive, which suggests Caesar needs a change. I think Caesar should be Charismatic, so its a perfect time for the change (maybe Organized, Charismatic). Ragnar's Aggressive, Financial might give Huayna Capac a need for a change. My knowledge about the Inca are limited, though. Shaka is the same way. Aggressive, Expansive means Ghengis needs to change (probably Aggressive, Imperialistic).

My guess is that Capac will get Imperialistic/Financial, so he did greatly extend the Inca empire's borders, and his personality did seem imperialistic minded.

ahab_in_rehab said:

You're overestimating the power of free promotion buildings. Red Cross doesn't give Medic I to armored units, because armored units don't have it available in the promotion tree.

Similarly, I expect the Dun will only give Guerilla I to Recon, Archery, and Gunpowder units. The Gallic warrior's special ability is that they are allowed to have Guerilla I when no other swordman can have it!

Free promotion buildings are great, but I'd still like to see a better Gealic swordsman. Sure it's a free promotion, but +20% hill defense for the swordsman???

Sure every once in a while my swordsman will get the benefit of standing on a nice wooded hill as he gets ready to use his sweet city-attack bonus, but it's not something to base the entire unit around. The UB is ENOUGH, it alone will encourage the celts to play a LOT of the game around cities built on hills.

I'd much rather the gealic swordsman get something that plays onto the swordsman's strengths, and that is a UNIQUE benefit to the civilization. Say an added Shock or Cover promotion. Perhaps even Commando to use enemy roads, or City Raider just to make them that much more specialized. Immunity to first strikes would be awesome too against those archer defenders.

+20% Hill defense . . . what's the point of that? Especially when all their archers back home already have it.

I guess that If you have the UB then you get guerilla2 what means you may move quicker on the hills... now If you have theocracy or vassalage + barracks you can get 2 woodsman... so quicker movement in woods and hills so you can move quicker to enemy lands + axemen have harder times to take you down.

carthage seems ridiculusly overpowered. Charismatic and financial are the two best traits in the game. Numidian cavalry will be able to beat almost anything in the field, and their special harbour will greatly increase there income.

Everything looks great, first I'm probaly gonna play as Chartage first when I get Warlords. Their UB sounds great, combined with free market and financial trait I'll be making a gazilion gold per a turn with all those trade routes! Sounds like Firaxis has engineerd the new civs really well to reflect what they were like historicaly. The hwacha sounds better now than how it was in Civ3, it was frankily quite pathetic back then.
I wish we could have learned some info about what the UB will be for the excisting civs, or the traits of the new leaders for the excisting civs. I'm guessing Augustas will be organized and imperialisticc, and Stalin will be agressive and industrious. If they are gonna change traits for excisting leaders, I think Qui-Shi-Huang (however you spell that) should have financial replaced with protective, he did order construction of the great wall, right?

I like the look of the Vikings. Definitely the first civ I try.

Top Bottom