Newbie Questions - ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Aggie
well...I went to the preferences and choose 'pop-up after building unit'. I couldn't find any other preference that would do the trick, at least that is what I think......

It didn't work, I still have to go to all my cities to be sure that they build what I want....

Come to think of it...has this something to do with the fact that I choose to let the gorvernor decide what to build???

I've got patch 1.29
I think you answered your own question - you won't be prompted if the governor controls your build queue.

Thanks for the help mad bomber- but do you always get your source of rubber in a jungle or in a cleared square?
Has anyone ever gotten a source of rubber to appear in a cleared jungle square?:confused: Thanks for the help:goodjob:

Originally posted by Mr Happy
Thanks for the help mad bomber- but do you always get your source of rubber in a jungle or in a cleared square?
Has anyone ever gotten a source of rubber to appear in a cleared jungle square?:confused: Thanks for the help:goodjob:
If it's cleared and becomes grassland, I'm 99% certain that it can't then hold a NEW Jungle luxury like Rubber. If it is cleared AFTER the luxury is there, it will stay there. That's the way its worked for me, and makes the most sense.

I think we're supposed to use the new thread now, so this one can die peacefully...

I have read the FAQ, but it doesnt answer my question. If I chop down all forests before discovering rubber, will the rubber appear on the grasslands where the forests once were or do i have to plant forests again? and also, i have A LOT of deserts and hills, but i developed them (built roads and mines) before discovering gunpowder and i see that there is no saltpeter on my territory. is it a bug or what? why does it seem that when i develop my lands before discoving something that allows me to see some strategic resources, they never appear on my lands??????

please help

i cant find my threads!!! dammit, well, again
if i develop all my desert tiles, when i discover gundpowder, will there be NO saltpeter on my developed tiles?

Search this thread, then.

Develop? Like plant forests? If so then you probably won't get Salpeter. But there is Saltpeter on hills and mountains so don't be panicked.

i know, but i have a whole continent, i exterminated the russians and english, the continent includes ALL terrain types, and pletny deserts hills mountains and forests, but i dont even have one source of saltpeter, and developing, i mean, builiding mines and roads, i have like two thirds of the continent with irrigation roads, mines, etc, but it seems to me whenever i build a mine or road on desert, hills or mountains before discovering saltpeter, wont allow that strategic resource to appear, in all my games, i never have saltpeter inside my territory. also, if you know, please tell me, if i chop down all the jungles, when i discover rubber, will it appear in the grasslands where the jungles once were? i know resources dont disappear if you chop down forests, but after discovering them... now i ask, before discovering them is it the same way??? also, i have another question, many times i rushed to exterminate a civ and they mysteriously appear in another side! i made an archer to kill the english, then after killing them, they had another city right below! but it was impossible for them to have another settler, too early in the game and this has happened to me a lot of times.

please answer, anyone
cheers

dayel

I am sure that roads, mines, irrigation do NOT affect the chance of a strategic resource. I have had resources appear in roaded or mined tiles - and even under a city, as far as I can remember.

I am NOT certain about the cutting down jungles thing but I *think* it doesn't matter - I'm about 75% certain I've had rubber show up on cleared jungle

The civs not staying dead is likely because you have allowed the option "respawn AI civs" in your set-up game preferences - for the whole 9 yards, search for spawn or respawn. But simply put, if you kill a civ completely and it is early in the game (so that they have some free land to spawn to) they will magically reappear somewhere else, along with a pile of new troops. And they will probably hate you for it too!

Originally posted by dayel
if i develop all my desert tiles, when i discover gundpowder, will there be NO saltpeter on my developed tiles?
No, the saltpelter will still appear there, even if you'd irrigate or roaded or whatever the tile. ;) In my game, one saltpelter appeared in one of the desert tiles I'd irrigated/roaded.

Mr. Happy:

I am Almost certain that the rubber resource will still appear if the jungle is cleared. Rubber does not relocate so once you obtain a source you will always have it (unless you lose it to an AI)

Dayel:

Planting a forest does not change the terrain nor does irrigation or mining. Clearing a jungle is the only way to transform terrain in CIV 3 and I do nout believe it affects where resources are discovered. I will unsubscribe from this thread now so that it may RIP. I suggest others do the same.

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
No, the saltpelter will still appear there, even if you'd irrigate or roaded or whatever the tile. ;) In my game, one saltpelter appeared in one of the desert tiles I'd irrigated/roaded.

Are you sure it wasn't garish which appeared. :p

How do i delete the old saved games in civ 3?

Also how do i install mod packs in my game? Do they permentally effect my game? How do i install them?

Go to windows explorer, Infogrames Int., Civ 3, saves and there you have all your saves. Delete whatever you want.

Mods that have graphics, units etc. files will permenetaly change your game. Mods that just have the modname.bic file won't. Just put those into your scenarios folder, open Civ 3 and go to scenrios and open it.

The ones with graphics and other addons usually have a readme which tell where everything goes. Like if it is a unit, then it will go to Art, Units, and whatever else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom