News: 6otm02 Results and Congratulations

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
A list of submissions will be attached to this post in .xls format. It is compiled by fastest finish date by Victory type.

This was the Greece game with Gorgo with a Culture VC game, announcement thread is linked.
The Opening Action thread.
The After Action thread.
Congratulations to:
tommynt who came in first with a turn 191 (1300 AD) Culture victory!:trophy:
Acken and whacker tied for second with a turn 198 (1370 AD) Culture victory. :trophy2nd:
Dan Quayle who came in third with a turn 205 (1440 AD) Culture victory. :trophy3rd:

Really did not get enough scores reported to do a meaningful score result.

Congratulations to the winners and :thanx: to all that participated and shared their game stories. :goodjob:

Attachments

• 6otM02_Results.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 245
As I didnt post anything real into after Action Thread I ll do a short roundup here.
all early game was about establishing as many cities as fast as possible - 2nd new city was in the desert and went after monument and builder right for Pyras.
Pyras finish was right when feud hit aswell and I prebuilt 5 builders to then have 6 action builders at about turn 70 or so.
I focused only on top tree of the tech - not teching ANyTHING below to keep districs at as low costs as any possible.

Districs wise I focused to place campus sites as early as possible and for max adj bonus (mountains in middle of island ..) but didnt really focus on finish building them but as said fcused on settlers, builders and monument early on.
Then few trade districs and then finish campus and acropolis.
After I was able I went to 5 industrial districs in middle of map and the buildings for them - got the tech boost for 3 forges or whatever the things are called - the production boost for mines been huge.
With this huge production and land mostly hills (5 production ...per tile.. at about turn 110 or so) all the campus and thearer square building got up fast. Then it was just racing to win with arch museums sea bath and so on.
Needed some militry anyway to stop the denouncing for being weak and took out america - not so sure if it was needed - but then it was so easy - a catapult and a frigate took care of its cap allone.

With a captured settler I settled the natural wonder site on other continent - built (choped..) a holy site there to buy naturalist as soon as tech hit and have the park 1 turn later. Not sure how much it did for tourism.

Mistakes I made:
Bit too few early scouting - met some CS a bit late. I just didnt have any units to scout for quite some time and didnt care to build.
I didnt understand the open boarder tourism bonus really and solled MY open boarders instead as get theirs ... untill like 5 turn till end of game.
Also I did not figure out how to get religous works even when I read the guide - this apostile promotion never been there.

Little tricks:
i think huts give better results the later the game - so as soon i noticed i m on island i didnt pop them anymore but delayed to not get useless scouts or 20 gold but some nice boosts later.
Harvesting 20 turns before end or so is a bit op - for example harvest bronze got like 480 gold or so. I didnt abuse too much as I didnt really need but for a perfect game abuse of this should be a nobrainer.
after few initial settlers I have my cap build as many districs asap to get max bonus for sending to it. Had about 1 tarderoute from each city to it - was enough to feed people there and work hills only otherwise.
Pyras are absolutly absurd powerful in a builders game like this.
Trade republic seems also so much better as all other govs - devs should balance this out a bit.
Delay early tech and early culture - and set as many districs before starting the race.
Focus only on techs which gives districs and try ignore other as much as any possible.

Top Bottom