[BTS] News: BOTM 209 - Catherine, Immortal - Starts 13 Mar

Funnily enough, in part because of this discussion, I did a bit of Googling about who the Cossacks are - turns out Cossack is a cultural/ethnic group rather than a military unit (the military link is because at various times in Tsarist history, the Russian authorities found it convenient to use Cossacks as part of their military). From a quick read, it seems that Cossacks also suffered some discrimination/persecution at the hands of the Communists during the 20th century - something that seems to have been rather glossed over in the in-game Civilopedia entry for Cossacks, which simply states, "Under Soviet rule, the Cossack communities ceased to function as distinctive entities".

I would therefore suggest that we should not be stereotyping or disparaging Cossacks as a group (and that applies equally to any other ethnic group).

And of course, in the end, @Pangaea is correct - this is just a (semi-competitive) game for people to enjoy. And the starting saves are now available to download! So have fun with it!

I’m not supposed to post in this thread because I’ve already started the game but I will anyway. It’s not about the game.

I want to share with all of you something that has made my life much more rewarding. I participate in other forums, in particular politics, which can be quite antagonistic.

I discovered I am much happier if I try to understand other points of view rather than disliking them. Yes of course I disagree sometimes. I just find it so much more emotionally satisfying to focus on the curiosity of other human beings rather than my own negativity toward them.

I love this forum for its congeniality. It has changed me for the better.

Earlier I was quoting a Russian saying, which claims that a cossack steals that which isn't guarded. I embellished it with the nailing and welding part. In light of DynamicSpirit's post it seems to me that the saying may be just another example of Russian misinformation against an ethnic group. I had thought the Cossack as a military unit and that's why I mentioned the quote. I have no malice towards any people just due to their ethnic background (if said background includes despicable things like "honor" killings or slavery, that is a different thing). Maybe they should just plain say that Russia (the nation state, not the people) steals that which isn't defended. Apologies for any Cossack who may have been offended by my uninformed quote. EDIT: I shall endeavour to refrain from further posting.

Earlier I was quoting a Russian saying, which claims that a cossack steals that which isn't guarded. I embellished it with the nailing and welding part. In light of DynamicSpirit's post it seems to me that the saying may be just another example of Russian misinformation against an ethnic group. I had thought the Cossack as a military unit and that's why I mentioned the quote. I have no malice towards any people just due to their ethnic background (if said background includes despicable things like "honor" killings or slavery, that is a different thing). Maybe they should just plain say that Russia (the nation state, not the people) steals that which isn't defended. Apologies for any Cossack who may have been offended by my uninformed quote. EDIT: I shall endeavour to refrain from further posting.
Please don’t take it personally, High King, we have too few posters here as it is. Just take it as people communicating and understanding each other better. Thanks for your explanation.

Top Bottom