1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus Buddy 2 - Granny Editor for Civ 5 2.5.3

3D Graphics Tool for Civilization 5 and Beyond Earth

1. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

2. Deliverator

Nomad or What likes this.
  3. Deliverator

4. Aral G Vorkosigan

Aral G Vorkosigan Chieftain

Hi, sorry to come back to this 2 years later ... but I am unable to get Nexus Buddy to run. No error messages, paths checked, .NET version checked, location in the Nexus folder, ... It simply starts running and stops, nothing happens. The gr2 Viewer works, Nexus Works. Any ideas, please?

5. Deliverator

In the Windows registry the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools - ToolAssetPath key should be set to your root Civ 5 game directory ...\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V which should contain the subfolders "Assets" and "Resource".

6. Aral G Vorkosigan

Thanks Deliverator. That is what I meant by "paths checked", I had already verified that one (after seeing the issue in the Nexus Buddy threads). Any other suggestion?

7. Aral G Vorkosigan

Hi Deliverator,

I have been doing a bit of a digging, and I have found that launching Nexus Buddy 2.3.3 in my machine generates an event 1001 with the following:

Fault bucket 1172022689835394538, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: NexusBuddy2.3.3.exe
    P2: 0.0.0.0
    P3: 57138b3d
    P4: mscorlib
    P5: 4.7.2600.0
    P6: 59d789f1
    P7: 4208
    P8: 12
    P9: System.NotSupportedException
    P10:

Throu the web I was able to find a number of threads related to this. In particular https://stackoverflow.com/questions...appication-event-clr20r3-on-application-start, but I am not sure if this makes sense to you or not.

Regards

8. Aral G Vorkosigan

Hi Deliverator, I just saw this had been reported already around the time of Nexus Buddy 2.0, with the issue being discussed around the hint paths ... Can you advise if it is posible that it is the same issue in 2.3.3?. If so, do you have a suggestion of how to solve it?. Other tan going into the source code, modify, and recompile?.

9. Aral G Vorkosigan

Well, loaded S3rgeus recompiled versión of NB 2.0 and it executes fine.

10. Aral G Vorkosigan

Finally, got NB 2.3.3 working. Note, on top of what everyone in the diferent threads have commented until now around issues to install/launch Nexus Buddy, the 2 last actions I took were:

a) disable digital signature
    b) change nexusbuddy.exe.config, adding the lines
    <runtime>
    <loadFromRemoteSources
    enabled="true"/>
    </runtime>

Note I have not recompiled or changed any other thing in any of the 2.3.3 files. The unhandled exception error is related to Security, to disabling the digital signature made sense. I admit I changed the exe.config just in case.

Rgds

11. Aral G Vorkosigan

Hmm ... just in case anybody wonders, I disabled the digital signature by opening the file explorer in ...Nexus/x86, selecting NexusBuddy2.3.3.exe, <right-click> , select Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons, log out, log in. Et voilá!

12. Deliverator

Glad you got it working. I thought that loadFromRemoteSources was committed to the released .config file but it must not be. I'll see if can update the files at some point.

13. Kamil Adamski

Kamil Adamski Chieftain

Hi,

Recently I was searching to somehow import GR2 files with skeleton, and animation to Blender, or 3DSMax. And I find Your thread Deliverator on how to import them.
    My problem is, that I don't have the Civilization game. How then should I setup the paths, to get Nexus Buddy work? Can someone please write a step by step guide here?

Best Regards,
    Kamil.

14. Deliverator

Nexus Buddy 2 will only work for Civilization V .gr2 files, so if you want to use it for another game's .gr2 files it won't work. But if you want to run it without the game installed I think you can do it by setting the Windows registry key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools ToolAssetPath value set to any dummy directory that contains two directories named "Assets" and "Resource" - these directories can be empty.

15. CrocWorks

CrocWorks Chieftain

How do I get the subfolders "Assets" and "Resource" in there? I've set up the HKEY_CURRENT the way you mentioned, but there are no subfolders for Civilization V and no arrows to continue expanding the Tools folder. (I assume this is what's causing the 'unable to launch asset -Nexus 4320? No asset folder means unable to launch assets?)

upload_2018-8-28_14-23-33.png

16. Deliverator

The tools asset path just needs to be set to any folder that contains one folder called "Resource" and one called "Assets". You can set it to e.g. <Drive>:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V since that should contain those folders already or just create a new dummy folder using Windows Explorer then create two empty folders within it one called "Resource" and one called "Assets" then set the path to the location of the dummy folder. Does that make sense?

nb2regedit.png

17. CrocWorks

CrocWorks Chieftain

Oh okay, I think I've got a different problem then. My folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V does contain an Assets and a Resource folder. I just thought the registry had to show something to reflect that. I also was following some of the instructions here, and I noticed there's an old Nexus and something called Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK.OLD. Any idea where I can find that? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nexus-viewer-help.523538/

EDIT: Actually, I found it here and it works now. Just gotta figure out how it works and to see if I can view/modify gr2 files with it. Thanks for the help. https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civ-5-sdk-old-version-working-nexus-3d-viewer.22237/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  18. Deliverator

You only need the older version of Nexus to use the 3D Viewer. It can't be used to edit .gr2 files. You can just work with Nexus Buddy 2 and use the Granny Viewer that is included with it. The only downside is that textures won't display which is the only reason to use the older Nexus 3D Viewer. In case it isn't clear Nexus and Nexus Buddy 2 are completely separate tools - Nexus is a tool provided by Firaxis that mostly doesn't work and Nexus Buddy 2 is made by me and does work. :)

19. cd5ssmffan

cd5ssmffan Chieftain

Hey, this app doesn't run. I've tried the three solutions listed in the thread (.NET framework, extracting to \Nexus\x86, etc) yet it still doesn't work. What can I do?

Edit:
    I've found the problem, when extracting Nexusbuddy into the \x86 directory, I overwrote some files.
    I had to reinstall the Civ V SDK to get them back:

Firaxis.Framework.dll
    Firaxis.Framework.FirePlace.dll
    Firaxis.Framework.Granny.dll
    Firaxis.Framework.dll
    Firaxis.Framework.Granny.ImplWin32.dll
    GrannyExporterFBXWin32.dll

Do not overwrite them with the ones provided in the download!
    @Deliverator could you look into which of your libraries specifically are causing the problem (if not all of them) and why this is happening? Maybe you could fix this issue by next release

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  20. Deliverator

There is a lot of conflicting advice in the thread unfortunately.

1) You do not need to install Nexus Buddy 2 into the Civ 5 SDK folder in order for it to work. I never do that myself when installing on a new machine. You can install it anywhere.
    2) In the registry you need the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools >>> ToolAssetPath value set to any dummy directory you set up that contains two directories named "Assets" and "Resource" - these directories can just be empty dummy directories.

Maybe I should do a very very simple step-by-step.