No interface

digitCruncher

Emperor
This is a common problem, but one where the simplest solution is NOT the correct answer...

I have no interface at all. Pushing ALT-I etc. doesn't fix the problem.

Now, for most mods, the reason this is, is because I have got the wrong path. This is not the case this time (as the FFH, which I also play, is in the same folder). The folder is C:\Games\Fireaxis Games\Sid Miers Civilisation IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\Mods\ from memory (It is slightly different than usual, I know, but this way all my games are in the same folder))

I run Vista.

Anything else needed?

You have used other mods, so it does not appear to be a "new user" problem. Here are some thoughts on how to track down the problem.

Is it possible that you have some other add-on mod which is interfering? Not a separate mod like FFH, but some mod which would load in addition to Fury Road? For example, you may have some files in your local CustomAssets directory.

If you know how to activate python logging, please do that; is there any chance that python messages appear?

It is always possible that due to a bad download or partial unzip, some files may have been corrupted; after trying the above, it cannot hurt to just try re-downloading and re-installing.

Please let us know if any of these suggestions help.

>.<

I know... it is BUG mod...

It's been a while since that has interferred with my mods :p This must almost be the only one that is possibly playing with it...

Thanks for the info! I will see if that works... but it will have to wait until after work.

And I have activated Python logging before, on my laptop (not my new PC), so although I can find it by myself, it would help if I can get it on, for future reference...

BUG doesn't play nicely with Fury Road because of BUG's event manager extensions. The simplest solution is to open up the Fury Road INI and tell it to disable Custom Assets:
Code:
; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

BUG doesn't play nicely with Fury Road because of BUG's event manager extensions.

Thanks for the tip. Fury Road uses what I consider the "standard" way of interacting with the event manager, by subclassing CvEventManager. Does BUG also break most other mods? Or is there a "better" way of interacting with the event manager?

BUG (as of version 3.5 at least) breaks a lot of mods in this way because its EventManager implements an extra method called "fireEvent" which allows the triggering of events through Python and the BUG version of CvAppInterface calls
Code:
CvEventInterface.getEventManager().fireEvent("PreGameStart")
during pre-game initialization.

Since most other mods are subclassing the original Firaxis EventManager, they don't have a fireEvent method, and so this call fails resulting in CvAppInterface aborting before the interface is initialized.

I'm not entirely sure if there is a good way to fix it. Possibly we (BUG) could put that in a try block to handle failure more gracefully but then other parts of BUG that use the same fireEvent() functionality would fail later on. Possibly mod authors could implement the fireEvent() method (or even a dummy version) but unless the mod is fully merged with BUG there are likely to be other conflicts as well. So for now my advice in general is if you have BUG installed in your CustomAssets and you are playing a mod that has this conflict, disabling CustomAssets (and thus completely disabling BUG) is the safest way to go.

BUG (as of version 3.5 at least) breaks a lot of mods in this way [...] I'm not entirely sure if there is a good way to fix it.

Sounds about right. I don't think I will put a fireEvent() handler. But at least now I can quickly ask the right question and tell the solution.

BTW, the following message in PythonErr.log is the tell-tale sign that it's a BUG conflict:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvAppInterface", line 72, in preGameStart

AttributeError: CvFuryRoadEvents instance has no attribute 'fireEvent'
ERR: Python function preGameStart failed, module CvAppInterface

This is a common problem, but one where the simplest solution is NOT the correct answer...

I have no interface at all. Pushing ALT-I etc. doesn't fix the problem.

Now, for most mods, the reason this is, is because I have got the wrong path. This is not the case this time (as the FFH, which I also play, is in the same folder). The folder is C:\Games\Fireaxis Games\Sid Miers Civilisation IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\Mods\ from memory (It is slightly different than usual, I know, but this way all my games are in the same folder))

I run Vista.

Anything else needed?

you problem is that it is in the wrong path. it should not be civ4\bts\assets\mods it should be civ4\bts\mods. no assets

Top Bottom