No Treasure for Pirates

Well, put me on one of the Europeans. I have not had a chance to check the game out so a cold pick is fine.

Well I saw the post and was about to join but not so sure you want a "hapless" player... :p

:joke: Actually, I'd love to play but not sure yet if I should commit. It be pretty good scenario but all you maties are gonna wanna be sure to get this to fix several bugs/crashes. Savvy?
Are you the editor of this file? Are you part of the mod development team?
I've noticed the Civilpedia has many incorrect or uncompleted entries is there work beening done to it currently?

I was a bit unclear with what I meant with my underdog comment. I gravitated toward the Cherokee sight-unseen because I figured, as the natives, they probably don't have much chance, and I like being the underdog and fighting against the odds.

After having loaded it up once as them and seeing that they have only two cities on the upper limit of the map, and it seems almost laughable naval capabilities, it seems they're best left to the AI.

I'll take Britain.

Keep in mind all my comments about the scenario are without having played it beyond loading it up and maybe advancing a turn or two and trying to read the civopedia without the game exiting.... I don't mind learning the scenario as I play my turns, that's easier for me than finding the time to sit down and actually play through a whole game. A turn a day suits my schedule much better.

@Soul, my wife's a kiwi, then again, so am I, but I was born and raised in Honolulu, where we moved from about a year ago.

@Eclipse, thanks for the welcome as well. I'm happy with one civ. One player having more than one is, well, just wrong. :nuke:
Is this a victory point scenario? Are there specific victory conditions for each 'civ'?

I've not played this threw either. I believe the Win condition is equal for all (Post #3)and please read Post#2
Thanks for joining:)
I'll guess this will start up next weekend. Semental can can choose and the last civ can be on AI if not picked by then

Spain then I suppose. I still need to install and play a bit.
once you get it installed and running you'll notice a (I think)French City at the bottom of the map that has a weird graphics error(atleast on my computer) I simply recreated it using the editor, it now has a standard graphics but is the same in every way, that .biq is on Post #1
So what do you guys think about starting this up nest weekend or before this weekend ends, France can be AI although I bet the game would be even better if a human held the slot.
So lets have a vote.

Hmmm. I thought everything loaded. I had a pediaicons error that I thought I resolved but when I went to the tech advisor it crashed. Any thoughts?

Hmmm. I thought everything loaded. I had a pediaicons error that I thought I resolved but when I went to the tech advisor it crashed. Any thoughts?
1.look at the folders and where you put them, make sure there isn't a folder in a folder with the same name.
2. make sure the folder is named pirates and it is in \Conquests\Scenarios.
3. made it a spoiler to save space
Spoiler :
4. must have text file This over writes the file in the text folder

Are you the editor of this file? Are you part of the mod development team?
I've noticed the Civilpedia has many incorrect or uncompleted entries is there work beening done to it currently?

Yes to the first, technically no to the second. There never was a mod "team" that I know of. Paasky has since quit playing and modding Civ 3 for four years or something like that according to the Pirates! thread but he seems to still get on CFC every once in a while as his last activity is this year. I enjoy fine tuning mods and there is a seemingly endless amount of fine tuning when it comes to modding Civ III... :D :undecide:

This scenario is one I would consider working on if there was some interest. Like I mentioned before I would love to jump in on this but don't think I could commit to playing right now. There may be several small annoyances while you play the game especially with so many human players as you will be pretty much finding any bug there is to find. If these bugs were reported getting a patch together would be a lot easier. Such patches of course could be un-usable unless the game was restarted but hopefully you should not have need (cross-fingers).

One thing that does need to be done to the .biq before starting is something mentioned on the original thread on post #85 and #89 after it. I'll look into fixing this and uploading if somebody would like that.

Also, just took a look at the files and it looks like the LH's are seriously messed up. I'll check that out in a little bit here.

Anyway, to your original question on the pedia Eclipse, I'm afraid its seriously lacking. Hopefully you guys can get away with referencing the .biq every once in a while for now. :)

Some good news. The LH .flcs appear to working fine. The LH choice for Britain is a little odd (Prince Henry from unmodded civ) but it works... The .pcx files are not lined up right but at least the game will play without that. Anything to do with graphics can be patched on even in the middle of the game anyway.

Also good news, just browsed the entire pedia and didn't get a crash so looks like we're good there. Except for the entries of course, one of these that should probably get priority is the entry that explains all the buildings, it runs off the page). One of the ships pedia picture was also displaying incorrectly but not harming the game in any way.

A couple things I noticed about the resources:
1- the whale resource needs to be replace IMO
2- all resources have little ID tags up in the top left which I don't care for but it can be you guy's call on that one
3- and most important, the whole resource.pcx does not appear to have a proper palette. The game will still play, it would be nice to have a new .pcx though.

Finally though, the mod seems like it has some pretty good graphics and I like the mood it sets. It really seems to grab at that piraty feel. Arrg! Have fun! (and don't forget about the turtles)

In my experience, playing a long term game like this with several humans is an iffy venture to start with. Throw in a scenario with bugs, and I'm fairly certain this is unlikely to play through to an in-game conclusion.

I think I'm out, sorry guys.

I agree most scenarios need a lit to a lot of tweaking and with one player down now it seems we have some time. I wanted to start this up NLT next Sunday and maybe best to have less human players. And maybe a modified win conditions so it didn't last for 5 years.:eek:

Since you enjoy tweaking:goodjob: I'm sure your appreciated here and the notes you've given us are important, whats the point of enslaving ships you can't later upgrade, I just need to make sure when it does get up and runing that all have the same version. I've been here and play civ quite awhile and patience is something I do have.

It seems from your post you have a pretty good idea of what needs done so if you can make this better for us while we are in limbo I'm sure will appreciate it. If on the otherhand we start this up while you've taken on this project we could easily tell you of things we find within:)

In my experience, playing a long term game like this with several humans is an iffy venture to start with. Throw in a scenario with bugs, and I'm fairly certain this is unlikely to play through to an in-game conclusion.

I think I'm out, sorry guys.
Well thanks for stopping by, yes it is true many players usually tend to leave games thats why I hope to only have those that want to see it threw, sure over time things change in our lives, they have for me as well, but this is my version of entertainment:)

Just a note to say that after reading my post again it looks like this scenario would be pretty difficult to play through but that was not my intention. It seems to be in pretty good working order and should run fine if some these things can get ironed out.

PS, when Blaze said he was anti-RaR was he referring to the .rar file the scenario comes in? If so it would be easy enough to .zip it...

OK. It seems to play. I do need to do a few turns but it does not crash where it did before.

I tend to enjoy mods. Adds some flavor. But the bugs do need to be hashed out.

Top Bottom