Number of turns for each speed

DrakenKin

Prince
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and i'll stick around for a while. :)

I'd like to know how many turns each game has. Especially on Quick and normal speeds since these are the ones I use. The game seems to keep switching between a turn every 10 years, 5 years, and 1 year at later stages, but I can't really tell when exactly it switches these numbers and thus the exact number of turns remains a mystery to me.

I mainly need the info to calculate desired culture per turn to get the 3 legendary cities victory condition, but it might be useful for other things too.

Cool, thanks. Do you know at what times the game switch from doing a turn every 10 years to 5, then 1?

Normal is 500, Epic is 750, Marathon is 1500. I think Quick is 250.

Also, the culture/turn isn't ideal because your culture growth will be exponential.

Also, the culture/turn isn't ideal because your culture growth will be exponential.
Do you mean that I should not play on quick or normal if I am going for the 3 legendary cities victory because there are more turns on epic and marathon?

Afaik each building gives a flat number of culture per turn, so I guess you are right...

Normal: 500
Epic: 750
Mara (broken): 1500
Quick (broken): 500 *2/3...but culture scales down 1/2 instead of 2/3 like most things.

Anyway you don't want to calculate culture based on the last year, you want to calculated it based on projected earliest finish date.

In addition to basic CPT in your top 3 cities (try to get lots of cathedrals and possibly corps or mass media wonders if you go for it late, then go either sistine artists or towns and run culture slider), you have to factor in artist GPP. Each great artist can bomb 4000 :culture: on normal speed. If you think you can get more than that via settling before you'd win (after multipliers), settle. Else, bomb. Culture bombs are a big part of very early culture wins, although the raw culture and multipliers are also.

Cool, thanks. Do you know at what times the game switch from doing a turn every 10 years to 5, then 1?

Everything you want to know is in this file:

CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

It's found in your Assets/XML/GameInfo folder.

Normal: 500

Mara (broken): 1500

There's nothing broken about Marathon, it does exactly what it's supposed to. It's just requires a different approach when playing it, one which obviously you don't agree with. But that is only a matter of your opinion, and not a basis of fact. I can't say the same for Quick as I've never played that mode, but I suspect the same holds true. Just because you don't agree with the way a gamespeed changes the gameplay doesn't make it broken. It's just different.

I can see this in the XML file :

GAMESPEED_MARATHON TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON_HELP 300 200 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 200 400 300 300 300 300 300 200 33 300 10 -200 15 200 10 150 8 40 5 90 2 60 1 660 GAMESPEED_EPIC TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EPIC TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_EPIC_HELP 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 150 125 67 150 20 -160 30 100 15 140 6 70 3 70 2 40 1 240 GAMESPEED_NORMAL TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_NORMAL_HELP 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 30 -120 40 75 25 60 20 25 10 50 5 60 2 60 1 130 GAMESPEED_QUICK TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_QUICK TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_QUICK_HELP 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 67 80 150 67 40 -70 60 50 35 30 30 30 15 25 10 30 5 55 2 50 1 50

How do I interpret these numbers to answer my previous question?

Huh? I don't see numbers like that at all. The lines that deal with your question in my game look like this.

<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>180</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>300</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>170</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>201</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>129</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>180</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>3</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>264</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>156</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>

Those are the values for Marathon BTW. So at the start of the game you get each turn representing 180 months and this will last for 100 turns.

The file I posted was in the directory you specified... Precisely :

D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

In all cases, I can't understand the file you posted either. :p

It speaks of turns per month, while in the game a turn is a year... and it jumps either 1 year per turn, 5 years, or 10 years. Can you explain the values please?

It speaks of turns per month, while in the game a turn is a year... and it jumps either 1 year per turn, 5 years, or 10 years. Can you explain the values please?

Ooops, you're right. I didn't consider that in my reply. The base turn in the game is in fact a month, not a year. But the numbers I'm seeing in my file don't really add up, so I'm a bit confused now. 180 months is 15 years, but I think it's much longer than that in my games. I have to admit I haven't looked at that file all that much. But it does look the Steam version uses a different format. I'm afraid I can't help you decipher it.

PS: I just started a new Marathon game and the first turn was indeed only 15 years. So those numbers do add up.

There's nothing broken about Marathon, it does exactly what it's supposed to. It's just requires a different approach when playing it, one which obviously you don't agree with. But that is only a matter of your opinion, and not a basis of fact. I can't say the same for Quick as I've never played that mode, but I suspect the same holds true. Just because you don't agree with the way a gamespeed changes the gameplay doesn't make it broken. It's just different.

I would guess its broken since the AI have troubel getting thos 2 speeds. Its way easier to win at marathon than it is on normal since the AI suck badly at marathon.

I would guess its broken since the AI have troubel getting thos 2 speeds. Its way easier to win at marathon than it is on normal since the AI suck badly at marathon.

Is this because they handle their units so foolishly? Still haven't tried it yet, but still very intrigued.

Its way easier to win at marathon than it is on normal since the AI suck badly at marathon.

I see the AI doing just fine on Marathon. It's not like I'm dominating every game I play, the AI quite often will do better than I am for long periods in the game, even pulling off some cultural and space race wins. It might be somewhat easier to win militarily at that speed, but it's not like it's a cakewalk. It's hardly easy enough to call it broken.

Is this because they handle their units so foolishly?

That's the only reason why Marathon favours the player. It's not the game speed that's broken but the AI military usage. The player will always do better than the AI when it comes to military campaigns, and with units getting built faster relatively and lasting longer before becoming obsolete, that gives him/her somewhat of an advantage. Hardly enough to call the speed broken though, as the AI can build it's units just as quickly. It just isn't as good at managing them once they're built. That's hardly the fault of the game speed though.

No, definitely broken. Aside from the massively reduced unit cost (which arguably is just a gameplay change), you run into all kinds of scaling issues that were never addressed. Most per turn checks don't scale for mara (in fact those that do are the exception, not that I can think of any). This can create some fun issues, like:

AIs refusing to talk for 1/3 the time of normal

Guaranteed reactor meltdowns (though in mara's defense, reactor meltdowns are a total joke and should not be in this game)

Global warming. Oh my god, I doubt you've gone deep into the later ages after launching a lot of nukes. It's pretty bad on normal speed, but on marathon every single land tile in the game will get hit. By a pretend effect that is better placed as a FFH spell than something to symbolize reality!

Tech costs scale. Tech costs given in peace deals for war success DO NOT SCALE. Therefore ironically on the speed that is by far the easiest to war, you can't get anything from peace deals, furthering incentive to keep going. Before you say this was intended, note that this works in reverse too.

Player spends a much reduced % of time in anarchy.

Per-turn checks like demands do not scale

Peace treaties do not scale (this really hurts quick)

Strategies that do not work at all on faster speeds will work on marathon. For example, the reduced cost and extreme speeds of warriors makes it possible to warrior rush on immortal with any civ in the game.

On the other hand, quick is bad for generally different reasons, but probably the most annoying is that high level AI bonuses allow it to 1/turn virtually every unit even BELOW deity, and suffers from reverse scaling options.

In a lot of senses, the different speeds are DIFFERENT GAMES OUTRIGHT, and that's fine. However, a lot of the things that do not scale appear to be or are flagrant oversights, and so while the difficulties are playable (even preferable in some senses), they are still broken.

Of course I do admit it's a little silly of me to single out game speeds in this context, SINCE EVEN IN PATCH 3.19 THE CONTROLS DO NOT COMPLETELY WORK IN THIS GAME. Maybe I should have just labeled them all broken and been done with it, but mara and quick have some unique offenses.

Edit: And yes, marathon is ~ to one difficulty less normally. Of course, unless you're at deity you can always play up ;).

I don't consider marathon broken. The AI isn't as effective at managing their units as most skilled humans, but they are still capable of sending massive stacks to fight against you, which present a much more formidable challenge than an AI that simply doesn't have the capability of massing a troop concentration that can counter your stack on normal. Plus, if I misstep on normal it seems easier for me to replenish my losses in just a couple turns. In marathon, if you face adversity and your stacks are diminished, your war effort will stall out rather quickly.

I don't consider marathon broken. The AI isn't as effective at managing their units as most skilled humans, but they are still capable of sending massive stacks to fight against you, which present a much more formidable challenge than an AI that simply doesn't have the capability of massing a troop concentration that can counter your stack on normal. Plus, if I misstep on normal it seems easier for me to replenish my losses in just a couple turns. In marathon, if you face adversity and your stacks are diminished, your war effort will stall out rather quickly.

The AI puts far more proportionate hammers into units on normal. On higher levels, mara makes unit production take even the stacked AIs some time. Not only do you have MORE TIME to wage war on marathon before your units obsolete, YOU FIGHT FEWER UNITS.

AI will come out ahead of you on normal vs mara unless you understand and apply drafting very well, and even then mara still has the triple move speed troops and better whips (after ancient).

But keep in mind that this is not my argument for why it is broken (which has to do with game mechanics that ignore speed that really shouldn't), just an argument on why marathon makes it easier to complete games at an earlier year and with a higher score. For warmonger approaches it is far easier in the absolute sense --> on immortal, you can probably horse archer rush 1-2 civs on normal speed if you're good and the opponents are the right kind of AI.

On marathon, you can horse archer rush 4+ civs even if 2 of them are boudica and shaka.

Top Bottom