[R&F] OCC (One City Challenge) - Science Victory

pahakuutti

Chieftain
In Vanilla there was no point to try OCC Science Victory as the game would have taken forever. But now with the R&F and the game mechanics changes, OCC Science Victory is achievable (because of Governors and Royal Society).

Below I try to explain some key elements of the strategy behind it.

PART 1. Great People Factory.

The idea is to try to grab as many (early) great people as possible. For this you will need few things:

1. Divine spark
2. Oracle
3. Pingala (100% gpp)
4. Rush the districts and buildings inside.
5. Play as a Kongo

Once these things are up, your one city has became a Great People Factory.
Let's have an example

1 great writer points for Theater Square
1 Divine spark
2 Oracle
1 Amphiteater
= 6 base writer points
x 100% for Pingala
x 50% being Kongo
= 18 writer points per turn

That's a huge amount of points per turn in the era when base cost of great people is either 60 or 120.

PART 2. Wonders

The must have wonders are Oracle, Great Library, Colosseum, Kilwa and Oxford.

PART 3. Governors

Pingala 4-level (100%gpp and 30% space projects)
Magnus 1-level (chop)
Reyna 4-level (purchase space port - no other usage).
Amani optionally up-to puppeteer.

Most of the time Pingala is handling the governor duties (granting 100% gpps + 20% science and culture) but occasionally Magnus gives a visit. It's very important to time Magnus efficiently: (a) You don't miss any important great people. (b) You'll have at least two wonders to chop. Remember that every time Magnus gives a visit, Pingala will be off at least 10 turns.

PART 4. District Projects

When you finally reach tier-3 government, build Royal Society and start bumping out builders to use their charges towards projects (space/science). Every turn purchase a builder and use it.

Side note: It seems that using a builder will kill the production overflow(?).

Well, that's the big picture.

I have attached T277 OCC Science Victory.
The settings were: Deity, shuffle, all other standard.

Spoiler Screenshots :

Attachments

• MVEMBA A NZINGA 277 occ_sv.Civ6Save
    3.5 MB · Views: 274
That's pretty cool. Also shows that going tall is more competitive overall. Out of curiosity. Is Communism better than Democracy under these conditions? Or did you need Democracy for rushbuying builders?

The yields on your great works are ridiculous!

How much of that is Kongo vs policy cards vs general game mechanics?

Is Communism better than Democracy under these conditions? Or did you need Democracy for rushbuying builders?

In this case, I chose Democracy over Communism because of
a) It has more flexibility on policy cards.
b) I needed only one military slot (+15% space projects)
c) Discount on builder purchases. Gold was never a issue, but it saved quite a lot gold. I lost the count, but I think I may have purchased well over 50 builders (the real figure may even be as high as 100).

I think the result would have been quite similar if I would had chosen Communism.

How much of that is Kongo vs policy cards vs general game mechanics?

Although it comes very late, but one of the Kongos advantages (when playing occ) is that some of the great works also give food/prod/gold yields.
Also, I was lucky enough being suze of Babylon (science from great works).
With these conditions you'll want to grab all the wonders/buildings that can hold great works.

Definitely the best use of Kongo that I've seen - nice job. How has no-one else even researched rocketry on Deity by turn 277?? Usually someone is at least close to a SV by then. This does not give me high hopes for R&F competition.

Hi, I introduce our thoughts for deity OCC SV on Chinese forums: Cross-Cultural Dialogue + Satellite-Globalization. Cross-Cultural Dialogue provides hundreds of base SPT, and Globalization provides global scalar for it. This makes the OCC science victory more like a religious victory.
The image below shows the science sources.
OCC.jpg

Maybe it's more general, less dependent on good maps, good civs or good city states.
(and there may be a level 3 science ally bug: once you've researched the same technology with your ally, the 10% buff won't go away after it.)

This is the first attempt:
Arabia 286T OCC SV: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5572227025
And then two new ones:
China 258T OCC SV: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5604183617
Australia 255T OCC SV: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5604139695

In new version (after spring patch)
Russia 216T OCC SV https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5767659868

Last edited:
haha very clever. Is basically a religious victory, but technically science...How did you convert everyone with just 77 faith per turn tho?

i guess apadana is key to the whole thing

haha very clever. Is basically a religious victory, but technically science...How did you convert everyone with just 77 faith per turn tho?

i guess apadana is key to the whole thing
There are some tricks for religious victory, you can find them in other threads. OCC wins very slow, you can accumulate a lot of faith. Debaters and Proselytizers are the keys, try to get more (need a trick). Mosque and religious golden age also help a lot. Besides, that 77 faith per turn is not a peak, we use Theocracy and Theocracy legacy in the mid game.:lol:

In fact, Apadana is not important comparing to other wonders, you can give it up if condition not met. Oracle, Great Library, Kilwa and Oxford are the real key wonders (Colosseum should be out I think, Artemis may be better).

Another sad truth is that we must to count on spies, very luck dependent things.:nono:

Sorry in advance for the dumb question - but I'm clearly missing a big part of the strategy. I don't see how being Kongo makes any difference. I tried doing this strategy and got TONS of great people generated, but fell way behind in science and culture. I was not using religion/faith at all - so I'm sure that's the reason. Could someone explain how Kongo's unique abilities figure into this strategy?
Thanks a bunch - I'm so anxious to try it again.

I don't see how being Kongo makes any difference.
Kongo's Palace has four extra slots for Great Works. No other civ has that benefit, so OCC Kongo can bank away more great works in its single city (capital) than any other OCC civ.

That isn't an "I win!" button, but it does make a difference.

One of the previous posts mentioned that it was similar to a religious victory - so i was under the impression that religion was somehow involved. Four extra slots doesn't seem like any big deal. I had a bunch of Great Writers and Great Artists sitting around because I didn't have enough buildings to store everything. Again- probably just my poor play - but I feel like I'm missing something.

Four extra slots doesn't seem like any big deal. I had a bunch of Great Writers and Great Artists sitting around because I didn't have enough buildings to store everything.
With One city every slot counts and yes, having Oracle means you will have lots of extra writers in particular. The whole idea is getting a lot of culture fast.
You have to understand the players posting here (not me) are top level min/max players so efficiency in everything is key.

Great post I haven’t tried OCC since Civ IV and would like to try this strategy. One question - why is Coliseum key? With only one city it seems like the boost would be pretty small compared to games where it hits 5-6 cities.

Also meant to ask is pillaging a big part of the game? Seems like the easiest way to get some extra faith/science/culture.

Top Bottom