Administrator
Supporter
New update, https://mohawkgames.com/2024/01/31/old-world-update-119/

Headline changes
  • Major localization text update for all languages
  • 95 new events added
  • Many design changes including new map scripts, game options and rebalancing

Design
  • New map script Player islands. Each nation gets their own island, with optional empty islands.
  • New map script Highlands. Inland map with lots of mountain ranges and elevated terrain.
  • Inland Sea map script reworked. Now has more variation and is more Mediterranean-like.
  • New game option Random Tech Tree. Shuffles the position of each tech within its column.
  • No longer possible to lose when dying without an heir, another character will take over
  • Tech tree changes:
  • Infantry Square now requires Battleline instead of Bodkin Arrow
  • Windlass now requires Architecture instead of Scholarship
  • Added Luxury bonus cards to the tech tree – on Forestry, Metaphysics, Coinage, Portcullis and Lateen Sail
  • Added Kush UU bonus techs – Free Medjay Archer (Composite Bow) and Free Beja Archer (Bodkin Arrow)
  • Hittite UU 2 bonus tech (Free Three Man Chariot) science cost reduced from 800 to 600 (to be consistent with other UU bonus techs)
  • Free-for-all multiplayer game player start improvements:
  • All map scripts now spread out the players as much as possible, at the expense of selecting the best terrain.
  • Added a different, experimental, player placement for highlands and coastal rain basin map scripts, which are relatively uniform land maps
  • Player start adjustment to try to avoid being placed in a small area surrounded by impassable terrain
  • More resources between city sites, especially at low city site density
  • Baths class improvements give one extra Happiness per turn
  • AI (nations and tribes) now have a chance to cancel an alliance when at cautious opinion or lower
  • Split Away from Court event class into individual classes. This lowers the frequency of some events that were triggering too often (i.e. imprisoned events)
  • Players without an online ID (e.g. not running through Steam, Epic Launcher or GoG Galaxy) are now able to play network multiplayer
  • Regents will now be forced for child leaders up to age 6 when previous leader died and up to age 12 if previous leader abdicated
  • Rider family seat bonus now includes the addition of horses, elephants, and camels to tiles within the city territory, no longer allows building units without resources.
  • Generals over 50 now get general-related traits offered on upgrade (previously only Generals eligible for assignment were offered these)
  • Autonomous rule no longer clears the build queue, but AI can change it to build what it wants to
  • Leaders can no longer be Exploring. Exploring Leader events have been reworked.
  • Khufu now has a family penalty for each wonder built (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Meritities is now Righteous instead of Revered (Wonders and Dynasties)

89 new base game events:

• A Brush With Death
  • A Child No More (x4)
  • A Famous Hill
  • A Gracious Welcome
  • A Greater Calling Just Called
  • A Little More Time
  • A Narrow Escape
  • A Matter of Faith
  • A Royal Suspect
  • A Shift in Thought
  • Age Of Unrest
  • Alien Traditions
  • An Ignominious Wound
  • Arrow To The Eye
  • Bonds of Faith
  • Celebration of Our Many Blessings
  • Champions of the Guard
  • Complications
  • Cultural Similarities (x10)
  • Elephants of City
  • Entwined Beliefs
  • Familial Ties
  • Family Needs
  • Family Power Play
  • Family Traditions (x10)
  • Fangs Of Our Foes
  • Felled By Arrows
  • Hard Rain
  • Heaven Help Us
  • Hero Of The Realm
  • In The Hands Of God
  • Influence Of Weakness
  • Keepsake
  • Laches
  • Last Of His Line
  • Lucky Break
  • Naming and Necessity
  • National Tour
  • National Treasure
  • No Time Wasted
  • Not Without Risk
  • Poisoned Tips
  • Prime Surplus
  • Rain Of Arrows
  • Rebel Phase
  • Select Timber
  • Shattered Shield
  • Stalwart Spouse (x2)
  • Stronger For It
  • Test Of Metal
  • The Captured Agent
  • The End of an Era (x2)
  • The Freedom Of Divorce (x2)
  • The Goal Of Life
  • The Hunt Continues
  • The Pále
  • The Peoples Shield
  • The Third Man
  • Too Young To Rule
  • Tribe Eliminated Nickname
  • Two Birds
  • Untimely
  • Ward No Longer
  • Welcome Return
  • Wondrous Nation

6 new Sacred and Profane events:
  • Fugitive From God
  • General Devotion
  • Joined in Mystery
  • The Eyes of God
  • Turning Mani (x2)

Programming

• Increased the minimum target unit number for the AI, to deal with military threats when it has few cities
  • AI technology value adjustments. AI chooses Navigation with higher priority.
  • AI no longer places value on bonus units if no such units are needed (e.g. free Settler with no vacant city sites)
  • AI now knows about effectPlayer YieldUpkeepModifier, TeamDiplomacyYields and TribeDiplomacyYields
  • When at war with a tribe with multiple known settlements, Settlers are planned for one site at a time, not all at once
  • Quick Infos XML validation optimization. Eliminates most memory allocations
  • Added support for having the same character in multiple dynasties
  • AI yield value corrections
  • Can now set a religion to be not Pagan or World

UI

• Major localization text update for all languages including all missing Wonders and Dynasties text
  • Added missing Wonders and Dynasties event art
  • Changed Remind Turn to Turns until Reminder in Improvement and Text pings
  • Temporary traits now display time remaining in parentheses
  • Added tooltip about the loss/gain of tribute yields by declaring war on a tribe
  • Added Tribal Strength game setup option help text for empty city sites
  • Added missing icons for some Wonders & Dynasty missions and effects
  • Added new icon for Zealot’s Enlist Next effect
  • Added Greek dynasty leader bios
  • Updated character suffix localization code and added support for Chinese numerals
  • Tech selection UI is now updated immediately when available techs change
  • Disabled history generator for multiplayer games (as this was causing bugs)
  • Custom Leader Archetype shown on Choose Leader screen when selected
  • In network games the client no longer exits to main menu immediately upon disconnection but instead tries to automatically reconnect
  • Smoke particles on mines are now hidden when the smokestack is hidden
  • New Game option enabled on premade maps, will reroll nation and dynasty selection if these have been randomized
  • Made Religion/Family/Nation/Tribe sections on tab panels collapsible
  • Added concepts/linkable helptext about the tech card system
  • Added intermediate Scripted/Freeform menu to Learn to Play
  • Proscription mission is now hidden unless enabled (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Added new icon for Explorer unit (Wonders and Dynasties)

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed units on cooldown getting moved when units try to move into their tile
  • Heir births are entered into the game log only after they have a name
  • Fixed bug where cut trees could be cleared on Lumbermill tiles
  • Fixed Restart Game button in cases where a premade map was picked through Advanced Setup instead of going through the Scenarios screen
  • Fixed cycle military button tooltip text
  • Learn to Play fixes. Prevented some player actions that could cause LTP scenarios to break.
  • Fix for Event Browser UI
  • Likely fix for map element names sometimes not matching between client and server
  • Fixed some scenario load/save inconsistencies
  • Fixed AI exploration bug
  • Fixed AI AdjacentSameModifier value
  • Fixed AI research selection actually following the AI evaluation instead of being random
  • Corrected some inconsistent use of the AI in-city yield evaluation
  • Fix for mod dependency bug
  • Fixed archetype icon not reflecting selected dynasty leader on SP setup screen
  • Fixed incorrect estimate of effectPlayer on help text when it involved adjacency bonuses from existing improvements (e.g. science output of Pilgrimage)
  • Removed double spaces betwixt icons and yield names in some cases
  • Fixed default improvements/units shown as unique when no nation/dynasty is specified
  • Fixed landmark names sometimes displaying incorrectly in MP games
  • Random nation on premade maps now correctly remain random on new game
  • Premade map selection now remembered for next game
  • Fixed top section of tab headers getting cut off
  • Fixed Pick Later nation and Random Dynasty setting the dynasty to Default
  • Fixed queued actions triggering unit selection before decision selection
  • Fixed Tooltip Scale and Popup Text Size options not saving on Steam Deck
  • Fixed Heroes of the Aegean scenario 5 save/load bug
  • Fixed Heroes of the Aegean scenario 5 bugs with Darius events, rebels and autonomous rule
  • Fixed Wonder and Dynasties content being missing from World Maps and Barbarian Horde scenarios
  • Fixed Caesar’s dynasty description (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Fixed null ref on leader select helptext for dynasties with free tech (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Jerwan Aqueduct now has a history that prevents it from changing drastically when city layouts change (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Fixed Carthage scenario 1 goal (Markets and Money)
  • Fixed Jebel Barkal bonus description (Wonders and Dynasties)
  • Text and event fixes

Known bugs
  • Starting Game of the Week after having started a game using a premade map will cause GotW to use that map.

New game option Random Tech Tree. Shuffles the position of each tech within its column.
I haven't played yet so not quite sure how this works. Does it mean, for example, swordsmen may become earlier if their relevant tech is shuffled earlier into the tree? Could swords precede spears, for example?

No longer possible to lose when dying without an heir, another character will take over
Doesn't this eliminate one of the main purposes of the game? Sort of spoils the need to build a dynasty to stand the test of time. Are there any rules about who takes over, or is it a random choice?

I haven't played yet so not quite sure how this works. Does it mean, for example, swordsmen may become earlier if their relevant tech is shuffled earlier into the tree? Could swords precede spears, for example?

I have not applied the update yet (because I want to finish a current game first), but the notes say: "Shuffles the position of each tech within its column", so there should be no radical shuffling between cheaper and more expensive techs.

Tech shuffle is within that tier, not to earlier or later tiers.

• Disabled history generator for multiplayer games (as this was causing bugs)

In my first single player game after this update, I don't see the "History of the Old Word" (as added in Update 117) either on the loading screens or in the game log. I did enjoy the flavour of it, but if the bug potential extends to single player games I appreciate its removal.

General performance seems to be slightly worse than before, but that might be well a result of all the additions from the last two updates and my less than state-of-the-art PC (from 2019). The game itself is as awesome as ever.

Doesn't this eliminate one of the main purposes of the game? Sort of spoils the need to build a dynasty to stand the test of time. Are there any rules about who takes over, or is it a random choice?

The whole rule about losing the game if you die with no heirs was really legacy from earlier in development when the dynasty was all that mattered. We made the decision to change this several months ago, it took a while to implement because of waiting for events to be translated.

Thematically, the loss condition no longer made sense because we already have different situations possible where someone who's not originally a royal takes over the throne. Your spymaster can end up killing you in a secret plot and take the throne, then the game continues. But if you die in a different plot where nobody takes over, or die naturally, the game can end. Doesn't make much sense. We have, thematically, been allowing the dynasty to be replaced / surpassed by another for a long time, so this rule no longer applied well.

With the thematic component being obsolete, the mechanical one was outright weak. Players can suddenly lose a game no matter how well they're doing, and we don't want them to - if there's a dangerous situation when there's no heirs, the game generates events to offer some heirs anyway. If even that doesn't work out, there's the instant loss condition, which is surprising and unsatisfying. We have received multiple complaints from people who thought it was a bug when they suddenly lost. On the other hand, we never saw anyone say it's a fun ending. For players with some Old World experience, it's pretty much impossible to die without an heir anyway, so we had a rarely applicable, anticlimactic loss condition that mostly affected new-ish players.

In my first single player game after this update, I don't see the "History of the Old Word" (as added in Update 117) either on the loading screens or in the game log. I did enjoy the flavour of it, but if the bug potential extends to single player games I appreciate its removal.
We did fix this bug internally so the history shows for Single Player games, but it missed the cutoff to make it to Main. It'll be in the next one.

The bug the listed change addressed was in MP games only, where host and client Texts got out of sync due to things like Script mods (ie: one player had a mapscript mod installed and others didn't). It doesn't impact SP in any way.

The game AIs have stopped building Wonders, at all, whereas in previous games there's always a Wonder arms race. Has this update caused this?

Quite likely, yes. The current version has some AI issues that cause it to have a weaker economy than it should, so it's much less likely to afford wonders. Fixes coming in the next update of course.

Hi guys, from an old, old acquaintance. So, Solver and Dale got into the business? Great! Dale, you still living in Perth? (Yes, I still know my geography, m8.)
I haven't seen any posts from Wouter (Locutus). Is he still around?
I just discovered this game on Steam a couple of weeks ago, and have been enjoying it quite a lot. Civ with orgies - I like it!

I do have a relevant question, though. I keep getting massacred in combat. I mean, for example, my Maceman hits another Maceman and does 20% damage. That Maceman then hits me and does 50% damage. They're both on hills, no promotions, no other units around, pleased family. I could've given a couple hundred examples like this. I read where Solver said that the combat system is simple, 6x damage, but I keep wondering if there isn't a Homefield Advantage or something. I mean, I'm not exactly new to civ-style combat, and things definitely aren't even.

Btw, I'm using your Go Forth and Multiply mod, Solver. It is needed. I have actually made quite a few changes to the game already, if you guys are interested in picking my brain. I know it's been 20+ years since the Call-to-Power days, but I've never stopped playing and modding strategy games. I could actually use you guys' advice on what's become a huge Hearts of Iron 4 mod that I have developed and want to monetize. After I post this I'll see about getting my personal info updated, including email. I look forward to talking to you guys!

Wes! Wow, so good to see you. First CtP is enjoying a revival of sorts (yes, really) and now you're on Old World. Let's also talk in private! Locutus is no longer around, he quit all gaming activity over ten years ago, and I get too angry for public comments if I think about how.

I suggest keeping tutorial on while learning OW, or reading the old-school comprehensive manual. There's a lot that is different from Civ, and even for us experienced people there's tons to get used to. There are special combat tutorial events for when your units do little damage, explaining why. With Macemen, I would suspect there's a river that can mess with things, or an urban defender. When you hover over the enemy unit, take note of the combat preview and read through the modifiers. Maybe one has a powerful attacking or defending general. Maybe there's terrain. There's a huge amount of possibilities.

Wes! Hi! Great to see you again.

BTW, you do not know your geography. I've always lived in Melbourne. ;)

I'm guessing that your work involves a lot of video-conferencing, so how about we try and arrange a 3-way Zoom call, if that's possible? I've used Zoom a lot the last few years with tele-health visits, and aside from some occasional audio problems it has been great. (Oddly enough, the changes brought about by Covid have been a God-send for my own health.)
Due to health problems, I don't have a regular day-night schedule, and am as likely to be wide-awake at 4 AM as I would be at 4 PM. You two work out a time that's good for you, and just let me know and I'll be there. Sometime this weekend would be nice for you two, I suppose. You may need to walk me through how to get connected, since the other times have all been through links from a medical center. If Zoom doesn't work, just let me know what you prefer and I'll download whatever I need to so as to make it happen.
In addition to the things I mentioned in my previous post, I would also be very interested in a part-time job with you guys, if you think that Soren could use someone with my game and modding experience, and some formal training in organization and management. Wouter and I did some pretty novel things with the medmod back in the day, and I have some ideas which I believe could jump OW right over Civ and make it the premiere game in the genre if implemented correctly.
Anyway, it's nice to be back, so-to-speak.

Top Bottom