Once and for all: should there be Events in Civ3?

Events for Civ3?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Yes if it doesn't affect the price too much.

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • No.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • I have no clue what events are.

Votes: 12 12.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by DragonRunner
I'm pretty sure what events are. Say you're playing a Europe map, and on a preselected turn, the hordes of Gengis Khan pour in. That's an event, right?
Yes. Although that particular example can in some way sbe reproduced in C3C as is by using the unit-building wonder feature: time the discovery of the wonder's prerequisite for a specific date, make it cost nothing so that the civ will build it immediately and set it to have units appear every turn.

Originally posted by troytheface
Weather events are indeed needed.
That is a good example of what SLIC cannot do because you actually need a weather feature in the game first that can then be triggered.
This might be a good idea for Civ4 but since weather changes tend to be season-based and the vanilla CIV concept operates according to years--thus no seasons--it's unlikely that CIV will ever see weather. The only way I can think of to reproduce this is by using events to change terrain and place omnipotent but finite storm units in strom-prone locations at random times within certain months of the year. (This can be done with Civ2's macro.)

Originally posted by PeteT
From this point of view there are literally infinitely many types of SLIC/BHS 'actions' because as
proper scripting languages they have all sorts of resources that enable you to specify what it is that you
want the computer to do.

I don't think you're going to see Civ3 get a scripting language. But if you lobby enough you might get one in Civ4. The point of providing the above examples is to show you what, IMO, the sort of language you should be lobbying for should be like.

Yeah, that kind of flexibility would be amazing applied to Civ3.

I've already opened a thread in the Civ4 - Ideas & Suggestions forum.

The ability to script events is the thing that gets many people into modding. The oly reason why people have ovrlooked events is because they have no friggen clue what it's all about, let alone how to use it.
If you present the average player with an interest in scenario design with BHS or SLIC or even Civ2's primitive macro for that matter, you'll scare them off!
Civ2:MGE introduced an Events Editor that made it far simper to create a working events file but even then was lacking in many ways. (Note that prefer to use text file because its faster when dealing with many events but this will never get off the ground if everyone has to do that.)
A good example of user-friendly events editor is that of Starcraft.

Picture something like that only even easier to use but with a high degree of flexibility at the same time (very diffficult), a great marketing strategy for selling the feature to players and you'll have events in Civ4. Otherwise, Civ4 will suffer the same fate as Civ3.

(It's really too bad Joe Rumsey didn't work for Microprose. ;) )

Where Civ3 is concerned, a full-blown scripting language is impossible now but it should still be possible to add some trigger mechanisms. C3C includes timed plagues...that's an event!

How hard could it be to add a timed 'Free Tech' feature for instance?

As for spicing up the vanilla game: that's a little more difficult using just some basic triggers but I'm sure it could be beefed up a bit.
Example: not destroying Barbarian Camps soon may lead to a dramatic increase in Barbarian raiders on a random turn for a duration (i.e. the barbarian invasions...not the movie ;) ).

And that's the other problem: as stated in previous posts, events don't really apply well to the vanilla game because it is very generic and plays on random conditions.

But, Firaxis has opted for a few additions (albiet small ones) to C3C that are not used in the vanilla game--although this may have been for the purpose of designing the conquests rather than for the good of modders.

I think that would be great, if it didn't cost to much extra. I'm more interested in playing the game than I am in creating scenarios. But, if the price of the game wouldn't rise, then I think it would be great to include a scripting language in the next civilization.

Where company resources are concerned, let me ask you this: did Civ2:CiC cost more because of the added macro? Of course the answer is that there's now way most players--or in this case, consumers--would know that, or care.

Besides, if the price goes up as a result of having to pay more programmers (or a programmer) to put together a scripting language, you will hardly notice the difference; for you, we're talking the difference of at most $5 I'd guess. If it's more like $10 and that would make Firaxis a huge profit has this been added to Civ3 from the outset--then does that mean that you aren't going to buy it? So you're paying for a feature that you aren't going to use...big deal. You pay a $hit-load more in taxes and you rarely ever see much more than a trickle of that invested back in your direction. What we're talking about here is peanuts. (Remember that the cost is divided into literally millions of units.)

I'd wager that it really has little to do with players not wanting events (of those who care) and almost everything to do with company policy; Firaxis probably doesn't want have to support a scripting language because, as the Firaxis guy quoted previously implied, it's more trouble than it's worth. Fact is, they don't have to add it. If they don't will players not buy Civ3? No less than they would buy Civ2 when it came out...and that's all there is too it. It's like asking some guy why he does something and he simply replies, "because I can." There's just no incentive. And THAT where the real problem lies.

But just to be fair, the guys at Firaxis are not just out for the money (as hard as it is to believe sometimes ;) ) and they know what we want. And this is where I'm confused: if you can do a thing at some loss but it will make your following happy, which is something you care about...why not do it?

The ONLY jusifable reason for not adding a scripting language is time constraints. As has already been mentioned by others, this is probably the reason. All I can say to that is: Firaxis, if you really care about the players, publish through someone less pushy next time! :)

Is there any reason to think there will be another Civ3 expansion? Hasn't Firaxis said that C3C was their last add-on?

If cIV does not have events scripting, I won't be buying it, it was a huge disappointment it wasn't in Civ3, it was one of the best features of Civ2.

Top Bottom