1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

One (University) City Challenge

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Jarek Noschese, Oct 12, 2020.

1. sendos

sendos Immortal

If I remember well, it is sometimes possible for AIs to make subsequent demands from you in the same diplomatic conversation as their first demand. Their first demand will be "give me money/tech or I will squash you", you cave in, and then they're like "ha, you're begging for mercy, give me more". That is why I always stand up to AIs on their stupid demands or pick the make trade option if it is available.

The best way to defend one city base would involve:
    1. Forests, followed by bunkers when you get the tech;
    2. sensors;
    3. up to date on metal defence tech;
    4. strong rovers to destroy stacks; and
    5. Good support mechanics going to clean reactors.

Going green and getting mind worms for free helps but never, ever return your mind worms to base, because then they cost upkeep from your base.

2. Jarek Noschese

Jarek Noschese Chieftain

Wait, can you SERIOUSLY stack Forests, Bunkers and Sensors on the same square? Obviously, the Clean Reactor Bonus is CRITICAL. High Armor Values will also be required for Non-Psi Combat. If ALL OF THAT'S the case, then I MIGHT JUST be able to SAFELY refuse enemy demands (for once/I hope). Just "hold" (Fortify) said positions, and you'd be all set.

3. sendos

sendos Immortal

Yes, but bunkers are not available until you get advanced military algorithms. It's the same tech where you get +100% anti-air defence modifiers.

4. Mr.Giggles

Mr.Giggles Chieftain

This isn't really that hard of a challenge. Get weather paradigm. Bribe the AIs to go away (as long as they don't demand a bazillion dollars). Pump out crawlers to solve all of your resource problems. Max out energy by raising elevation as much as possible. Set up a solar farm using mirrors, solar panels and drilling rivers so each crawler brings in 10 energy at a time. You'll have problems with your clean mineral limit. Hopefully having buckets of cash will help you offset this by just being able to buy stuff.

You'll need to fend off worms and the AIs from your ultra-vulnerable crawlers, which is easier on a bigger map. The AI tends to hate the leading player, which you won't be anyway.

If the AI pollute the planet just use your formers to keep everything above ground.