1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Open Border with AI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by CIVLOYALIST, Oct 18, 2016.

1. CIVLOYALIST

CIVLOYALIST Chieftain

If I keep not exchanging open border with the AI until perhaps late game, will that help preventing AI from invading my empire? (on KING) I assume that the AI doesn't see how weak my military is.

2. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

AI's on King don't invade unless you have done something very wrong and they hate you.

3. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Warlord

Don't exchange Embassies early on, the AI may 'Covet your lands' as it can see your land near your capital. Not sure how much difficulty level hangs on it. I never allow open borders to my Civ,but always try and get it from AI's (boosts my tourism, stops theirs).

4. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

no open borders doesn't appear to deter AI that want to attack you much. It is a slight positive diplo boost, but if they were planning on attacking you anyway it won't help. ANd on the contrary if they scout your territory and like it, they will get the much more significant "covets your land" modifier early. As Lizzy said this can also happen with some aggressive AI just from trading embassies as they can see your capital and it usually looks nice to them. :) Trade open borders to friends or people you trust for the most part.

5. Gin-san

Gin-san Chieftain

I wouldn't sign that. In one of my first BNW games two years ago I was playing on Prince and still got insta DoW'd by Attila even though I was only caring for my capital.

6. CIVLOYALIST

CIVLOYALIST Chieftain

I once got Napoleon invaded me and on another game, Alexander invaded me and beaten me back to stone age.

7. CIVLOYALIST

CIVLOYALIST Chieftain

What I hope is that the AI sees my territory as we see theirs, so the game plays fair. But if the AI cheats, then it's a totally different story.

8. psparky

psparky Prince

I don't believe it works the way you hope. Your military adviser comments on the military strength of other civs without you having visibility of all their units, so I'm guessing they have an idea of your strength too.

9. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Assuming you haven't neglected your diplomacy, science and lots of gpt stops all DOWs on the lower levels. That is the the "very wrong" thing.